Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Yup, that is why I referenced that video.

Looks like it's on Amazon instant video, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
If there's someone who wants to buy a sixty year old dump truck on the other side of the country, swap a new motor in it and drive it home, there's someone who wants to cross the Pacific in a rotary-engined speedboat.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

monsterzero posted:

It's the s/v Christopher, we passed by her(him?) on the ferry to Alcatraz a few summers ago. I knew/thought little of sailboats at the time but it was so graceful as it sailed towards the city front I had to find out more about it. That was the first of two experiences that planted the sailing-bug in me.

Jesus, it doesn't look that big until I counted the spreaders and looked up the specifications. Its got more beam than any boat I've sailed on has LOD.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I guess they mean it just retracts like a centerboard. If it has the "bomb bay" doors, I wonder if it retracts fully into the hull?

That is a pretty, pretty boat.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I took a six-week course a couple of years ago (3 hours every Sunday, for six weeks, so 18 hours total), and I think I could still take out a smallish (~25') boat and singlehand it around on a moderate day without difficulty, despite only going sailing maybe a dozen times since. The hard part for me would be remembering the rules of right-of-way, and probably how to tie the appropriate knots. I didn't think the sailing part was that bad once you remember which thing to pull, and stay aware of your surroundings.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

Aluminum is good, but make sure it’s not in direct contact with anything steel. Even if you stay in fresh water.

NEVERMIND, I'M WRONG

boxen fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 16, 2018

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Aluminium is anodic to stainless steel, you'll get galvanic corrosion between stainless and aluminium as well.

Yup, I was wrong.

http://www.ssina.com/images/corrosion/galvanic-series.gif

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

The Locator posted:

Tiller steering on a 41' boat? Have to say that's surprising to me! Great looking boat though, grats.

It is a very light boat for 41', though.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

gvibes posted:

I took my kids tubing for the first time, which they said was “the most fun we have had in our lives.” So I guess I need a speed boat now too.

As the youngest in my family, it was my solemn duty to be skipped across the surface of the lake as many times as they could manage when we went tubing growing up.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Are boats not subject to the same emissions requirements as land vehicles? Say I had a 35 foot sailboat with a Yanmar diesel or something and I wanted to repower it, and I bought a brand new engine. Would that engine have to have urea injection and aftertreatment and such? None of the manufacturer websites I've spend literally minutes looking at said anything about Tier 4 emissions requirements.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Elmnt80 posted:

How else is supposed to get the body out deep to dump it.

Protip: remove the life vest before tossing it overboard. As me how I know.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Yeah, keep us posted on your absurd decision to have a boat built.

One of my after-I-win-the-lottery dreams is to build something like a 40-45' steel sailboat. The only thing that worries me (other than the massive amount of time and energy it'd take) is the interior woodwoork and finishing, I'm reasonably confident in the welding, wiring, and mechanics.
I follow channels like these on youtube all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL3d-9Brh4M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez3B9aL6Rm8

I LOVE this guy, he's so dorky but he does such a good job talking about his stuff, he really just seems like an average dude with a dream.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjY0nnAcqSU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
One thing I've wondered with inflatable boats like that, is how long does the rubber/whatever polymer last? I know a lot of them have covers over the inflatable part for abrasion and UV protection, but does the rubber eventually degrade?
If you have a RIB from the 80's, how likely is it to need new rubber even if it's been cared for well? Or average?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Comedy option: Crown Victoria.

If you want serious recommendations, I think we're going to need more info than that. Powerboats aren't the same weight/length as sailboats, for example.

A half-ton truck made sometime in the last 30 years will probably be fine. Truck or not, you'll probably be happier if you have AWD/4WD, as when backing in a trailer your rear tires can get wet and lose some traction, so it's nice to have the front helping out as well.

Despite what dudebro in the suburbs will tell you, you do not need an F3500 crew cab diesel with a six foot lift.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

gvibes posted:

Where this is at (michigan), very much so. Just about every boat on my lake over ~1500 pounds or so is on a lift.

Minnesota, too. Usually there's a dock leading out to the lift, though...

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Not a boat, but I have an 80's GM car that the tach reads only a bit fast at idle (950-1000rpm at actually 800rpm, verified by a scan tool), and then gets farther and farther off the higher RPMs get. I think it reads something like 6k at 4k. Has to do with a bad resistor on the tach driver circuitry.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

gvibes posted:

Also, I ordered another boat - a baller-rear end 18' row boat:

My man. Good odds it was made in my hometown.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

gvibes posted:

Minnesota somewhere, right?

Yeah, one of those tiny towns where a single large business employs a large chunk of the population. A number of years ago they got bought out by a Canadian company (Brunswick? something like that), so I'm not 100% positive every boat is still made there, but a big chunk of them definitely are.
It's funny watching a documentary in the factory, or looking at ads and thinking "Hey, I know that guy."

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Seems kinda like World of Warships, but I don't have to deal with other people and I get to configure my own ship? Sounds dope.

Do I need an account on itch.io to download the demo?

Nevermind, according to a more recent update on the dev blog the demo's gone, looks like I wait for either another demo or the early-access version hopefully in May. Oh well, wishlisted it on steam.

boxen fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 10, 2021

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Kesper North posted:

Strike the h, make it a hard g. It's a dingy.

:golfclap:

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Rime posted:

I spent all yesterday in a hammock recovering from sunburn and hangover, reading about James Wharram, and now all I want in my life is a Tiki 38 Wharram Catamaran despite mainly wanting to sail to Antarctica. :2bong:

On the other hand, Iron Bark II is for sale for $40k...

Similar. I want to design a boat, or maybe buy something like a Freedom 39 Pilothouse and sail around the Baltic Sea.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

dialhforhero posted:

I mean there certainly are days where I daydream selling my house and buying a 6 figure boat to live on. For you know, reasons.

Hrngg.
I moved from the midwest to the west coast, took some sailing lessons, and now I own about a dozen books on sailing yacht design with at least two different hull design programs on my PC. I want to DESIGN a boat and live on it. That's REALLY never going to happen.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Karma Comedian posted:

Well not with that attitude.

I approach life with casual pessimism, it leads to being pleasantly surprised more often. :D

Honestly, over the last year I've been trying to buy a house, and the market for that is mental. To build a boat of the size I'd ideally want (40+ feet), I'd need around a 1/4" acre lot, with at least 15' wide trailer access to the site... that's difficult to find in a metro area. Don't have to live on the same land as the boat is being built on, but I'd need access to the land for years, if not decades. All of this is before material and design costs, I'd probably hire a naval architect to look over the plans, cost of mast and rigging, electronics....
Plus, all the money I would spend on building a boat is money spent on not just buying something I like well enough and going sailing on a not-perfect-dream-boat.

Still, it's fun to think about. In AI, how many people dream of what'd sort of machine they'd build if they had time and money?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Erwin posted:

This is a thing?!

Hadlock posted:

Delftship is the #1
Freeship is supposedly a cone clone

General workflow seems to be to design it on free licence of delftship, then autocad 360 from the final delftship file, and then print via 3D printer

Delftship is one, Polycad is the other. Polycad has a free 30 day trial, then you just email the dude who made it and ask for a key.

The 3D print thing is something I plan on doing hopefully in the next year or so. Probably won't bother making an actual sailable model, but still something maybe 2-3 feet long.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Watching boat videos on youtube, drooling over boats.
I noticed Gunfleets seem to have a unique "reversed" pedestal/wheel setup so you're not reaching through the wheel to adjust throttle or whatever, is there a name for this style, or is it used by anyone other than Gunfleet? I saw some references to maybe some old Beneteau trying something like this, but couldn't find it. The presenter here mentions he thinks it appeared in (word) in the early 90's, but I can't figure out what he's saying there, sounds like "dailies".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAev48YCFOg&t=177s

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Hadlock posted:

That wheel is all fun and games until your drunk wife falls across the cockpit and bends the poo poo out of the wheel

If your partner is ...stout... enough to bend a 1" stainless steel tube by falling on it, they should be lashed to the windward rail where they belong :colbert:

(I don't actually know what those are made of or the size, I just thought the reversed design was a neat idea).

I don't know if that particular cockpit design would allow for it, but you might be able to put a standard wheel in place of that basket one if needed, you'd just have to reach more.
Are Moody's motorsailers? Sail area looks low and engine hp looks high compared to similar-size stuff I've seen. Interesting elements to the layout, anyway.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Went to go see Top Gun: Maverick this weekend with a friend, it was better than expected, I had fun.

Posting in the Nautical thread because there's a nice scene that takes place aboard a J/125. One sort of funny bit in that scene is one person says something about "tension the backstay to depower the sail", and then points to a line that looks like a halyard run back to the cockpit.

My friend who saw the movie with me said that boat scene looked more dangerous than the dogfights in the movie, I said "yeah, it can feel like that when you're going fast".

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Hadlock posted:

A lot of boats have a backstay with dyneema and 5+ pulleys for mechanical advantage. I have some hydraulic backstay adjuster on mine, and you can get it rebuilt an infinite amount of times, but dyneema is nice because you can rig and repair it yourself, and can be inspected by anyone from 5 feet away

Pretty cool though, I'll have to check that out when it gets on streaming

I should say I'm not much of a sailor, that scene might very well make perfect sense with the sort of rigging that might be on that boat. It didn't LOOK like it to my (not very well trained eye), though.

Here's the first part of the scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSJpZZxnyfg&t=50s

When she replies (not in the clip) she points to one of the winches on the combing.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

TheFluff posted:

one long honk = general "attention" signal, sometimes used around blind corners and the like
one short honk = I intend to pass you on my port side (alternately, I intend to turn to starboard)
two short honks = ditto in the opposite direction
three short honks = my propulsion is operating astern (I'm reversing)

Huh, I thought three shorts was "get the gently caress out of the way", although I suppose the intent still fits.

There's something about HUGE things moving quickly that makes them not look like they're going as fast as they are. Trains, big boats, I took sailing lessons on the Columbia river by Portland awhile back, and one thing the instructor said over and over was to never been anywhere in a barge's lane of travel because they're moving a hell of a lot faster than it seems, they'll be on top of you before you realize, and THEY CAN'T STOP. He said that yes, as a sailboat you might think you have right of way, but the laws of physics do not give a poo poo about right of way (I think on the river barges always have right of way because they fall under a "limited manuverability" section anyway, but I don't remember).

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Laws of physics and right of way matter little when you're dead

The first thing he said (and he repeated it over and over) is that the first rule is "don't run into anything or anyone", regardless of what the rules say should happen. If you have right of way and someone's not yielding for whatever reason (limited maneuverability, loss of power/steerage, drunk, stupid, all of the above) you still have a responsibility to not hit things if you have the ability.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I can't offer any expertise on if one is better than the other, but I'm fairly sure that for newer boats (very very roughly, within the last 10 years, maybe older?) they're made in the same factory so I'd be suprised if there were huge quality differences. It could be a Chevrolet vs Pontiac vs Cadillac type of thing but I couldn't tell you which one is better.

boxen fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 6, 2023

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Hadlock posted:

I've seen some pretty impressive poo poo on the latest B&G solid state radar. Only works on perfectly flat, calm water but will pick up ducks and crab trap floats on the water 300'+ out. Not useful on the ocean most days but really impressive technology for basically a thousand bucks USD. If you get the full setup you can track those objects (ducks) and tell the autopilot to follow, or avoid more than 500' etc. Makes state of the art 1980s fighter jet technology look achievable to the consumer

I'm giggling at the idea of a 50' boat stealthly shadowing a group of ducks from 100 yards out. New life goal.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Big Taint posted:

All boats are sinking, some a little faster than others.

Vot are ze sinking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MUsVcYhERY

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It looks like the Edmund Fitzgerald.

wesleywillis posted:

It's considerably shorter.

wesleywillis posted:

Narrower too I think:v:

To be fair, as the lake freighters go she was bigger than most.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Oh hey, was that with Portland Sailing Center? Boat name Messenger?
I took sailing lessons through them around six or eight years ago but I never was on the big boat. The head guy (Cliff?) seemed like a chill dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Hadlock posted:

To put things in perspective, even the oceangate guys knew not to build their submarine out of wood

I was wondering where Oceangate would be on a scale of one to 'can find time for a wooden boat'.