Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Collateral Damage posted:

To quote an ex colleague of mine: "The best two days of my entire boat ownership was the day I bought the boat and the day I sold the boat."

The three F's is a relevant concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cakefool posted:

Bigfuzzyjesus, beautiful boat, absolutely stunning and it's lovely to hear the story behind it as well.

Would you ever consider changing to electronic ignition or adding a remote oil filter?

These are both excellent suggestions. You may even be able to have the original distributor retrofitted with electronic guts, if looking original is a concern.

That boathouse is absolutely amazing, btw.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Alctel posted:

Also there is a sport fishing boat a few slips along from me with 3, 300HP engines O_O

What would you even need 900HP for anyway? It's not even a charter boat

:colbert:

I've seen that boat on the water. It's crazynuts, but not even a one-off; You can order one, and they'll build it. Their four-engine boats are pretty common, too.

You need to come down to Fort Lauderdale for the boat show to see some really, truly ridiculous poo poo.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Open-ocean center consoles like that have as much in common with bass boats as an eighteen wheeler does with a Toyota Hilux.

They're both trucks, and...

Nope, that's it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CommieGIR posted:

We made it four pages without someone bringing up the Glomar Explorer?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aBk8H0Goic

The movie that video is taken from is Worth Your loving Time. Seriously.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

jhcain posted:

Ok, now I actually want a mega yacht.

gently caress, I'd settle for the AS365 parked ON the yacht.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nerobro posted:

The Cobia has an midsize industrial A/C unit sitting on deck, that pumps air in through the torpedo loading hatch. The boat was cool, dry, and comfortable. I do not want to know what it was like under way...

And I'm uploading the tour pictures now.

She had air conditioning when she was in service. Operating R and S boats in tropical waters in the twenties proved to the USN that AC was a cheap alternative to condensation and humidity loving RUINING the submarine.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

bird cooch posted:

Being robbed at boat point.

I think you've found her name.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Maltese Falcon is a similar yacht, except while it is a good bit smaller, it doesn’t look like a bag of smashed assholes with masts sticking out the top.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

monsterzero posted:

...And YouTube titties get that patreon money.

The recent proliferation of trust-fund-fueled youtube sailing channels points to this being a prime motivation.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

monsterzero posted:

“sailing isnt expensive! sailing isnt expensive!!”, i continue to insist as I slowly shrink and transform into a bag of stainless hardware

Long for a thread title, but accurate.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FrozenVent posted:

Our winter marina / storage yard is flooded. No launches until further notice.

Conversely, all the launches whether you want to or not.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

TheFluff posted:

We're live :getin:

This is at the visitor dock, we leave for our new permanent berth on Thursday. Only ~45 nautical miles but it's our first real trip so I'm excited.

:allears:

That’s a really pretty boat. Refresh my memory on make and model?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I had a 10’ flat-bottomed aluminum boat when I was a kid, with a 9.9hp Mercury.

It was... Entertaining.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Humbug posted:

...and glassed over. A lot of of it is completely inaccessible without cutting holes.

*mild twitching*

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

n0tqu1tesane posted:

What happens when it's the wife's idea to get the boat?

Asking for a friend.

The boat generally has an extra cabin and a marine head. And is bigger.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FrozenVent posted:

Unless you have a good diver who doesn’t mind looking for pintles and poo poo in marina silt.

The first rule of working over the side: You will drop something.

Bolts
Nuts
Pliers
A $600 motorola radio
Paint brush
Life jackets
A 20’ air hose

I learned very early on in my career as an aircraft mechanic that I would never take a job with any operator with floatplanes or amphibs. :v:

And as a diver, gently caress diving in marinas, there are entirely too many new and exciting ways to get maimed or killed.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

TheFluff posted:

Thanks! I might need some luck here. Some more cleanup made it clear that it is indeed a spring pin (roll pin?) but it's also completely stuck in there. Spent a long time yesterday with a flat punch and a hammer but to no avail, it's not budging a millimeter. Sprayed a bunch of 5-56 (WD-40 equivalent) on it, will come back tonight and spray some more and we'll see if it'll move on Friday.

You’re almost certainly going to need heat. Get it good and toasty and broken free and it should come out.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

sharkytm posted:

I mean, if you paid enough, they'd have it in Sweden in 48 hours.

I once had to ship a package from Massachusetts to Nuuk Greenland in 48 hours, and it is indeed possible. It's not cheap, but possible. :v:

I did a couple courier trips when I was young and unattached and unemployed. If you’re willing to pay, you can do a lot better than 48 hours.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Crunchy Black posted:

Counterpoint, they can make pigs of lake boats actually capable of towing with just a 305. Hole shot is truly incredible.

Not that the R/R didn't suck for you.

They actually put those things on 305s? I puttered around one summer in a ~20ft bayliner with a 305 and an alpha one and it was just barely capable of getting out of its own way. I can’t imagine giving it even more bite down low did anything good to the top end.

I always thought the counter-rotating drives were behind big blocks or something. Certainly not Chevrolet’s favorite anchor.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nidhg00670000 posted:

A fairly common joke in the 90s among boat people here was "Do you know what AIDS and Bayliners have in common?"

The answer being some variation of "if you get it you're hosed" or "no-one has ever managed to get rid of it".

In 2006-2008, three friends of mine went in on a boat together, none of them having any boating experience at all. They ended up with a 2000 Bayliner 215. IIRC they paid $7500 for it, with a couple spongy spots in the plywood floor. That thing got rode hard, put away wet (literally, often) for two years. I was with them often, since having friends with a boat, even a bayliner is better than owning a boat yourself.

After two full seasons of hooning Biscayne bay and the intercoastal, they sold it for $7000.

It remains the most inexplicable boating event I’ve ever encountered.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I mean, if you want "unsettling outboards..."

It's a 320shp Allison 250. Apparently developed for the DoD, Mercury racing's website claims it only weighs 200lbs all-in.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

sharkytm posted:

Please tell me you went "vroom vroom" while pushing the throttle, and "whirrrr whirrrr" while hitting the thruster joysticks.

Also “ping-ping” while playing with the chartplotter.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Re: small engine chat, Are you using REC90 or otherwise non-corn-gas? The alcohol in US (I also don’t know if you’re in the states or not) autogas is absolute hell on small engine fuel systems.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I love boats. I really want to learn to sail. I have zero room in my life for a boat in terms of time or money.

And yet I find myself looking at things...

Ya’ll are a bad influence.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hadlock posted:

...a steel boat that had been sitting on the hard for 23 years, in the tropics, in brazil, outside...

At what point does a boat stop being a boat, and become a really lovely house?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hadlock posted:

New thread title? :shrug:

No.

Nautical Insanity: Secondary Backup Blender on Board

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

wargames posted:

other progress, bump stop for the steering got pulled because its a rusty scaly mess, and i need to figure out a fab to make it in aluminium 6061 or 6063.

Why not just clean it up and coat it? From the pictures it doesn’t look like there’s anything horribly wrong with it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

What does it bolt to? What material, I mean.

Aluminum still corrodes; It just does so in different, more exciting ways.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:stonk:

You should definitely post that in the mechanical failures thread.

…And you should also call a priest.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cat Hatter posted:

Now I kinda want to pick up some shoulder length gloves for animal husbandry just to have on hand* if I need them.

*Glove pun

Anyone that has to do maintenance on marine or aircraft heads/lavs should have those on hand.

I speak from unfortunate experience.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

cakesmith handyman posted:

Not a boat guy, but why the pontoon hate?

Pontoon boats are great for partying and booze cruising, and not much else. They’re slow for the fuel burn, don’t handle worth a drat, and any kind of even halfway serious skier or wakeboarder is going to dislike the wake shape. They’re also dangerous as the sea kicks up, though that isn’t really an issue for lake use I guess.

They certainly have a use, but they’re not my cup of tea either.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Elmnt80 posted:

People spending covid on the water is part of it. A bunch of people who have hemmed and hawwed on it have pulled the trigger since they weren't burning money commuting, eating out and other spendy things. The last big thing is that the marine industry expected a massive slowdown from covid and cancelled a bunch of orders just to turn around and be blind sided by demand.

A coworker of mine had his new flats boat sit at the yard for over six months waiting for an outboard. First world problems.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

By “won’t crank over” do you mean the electric starter won’t turn it over, or a breaker bar on the crank pulley won’t turn it over?

If the former, big plus on at least charging the battery, if not swapping the thing for a known-good battery. Next, check the ground and positive cable ends for cleanliness and security. It they’ve got any evidence of corrosion, take em apart and clean them with fresh water mixed with baking soda, and then rinse them with copious amounts of fresh water, and dry them if you possibly can.

If the latter…

:suicide:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's a Bote HD Bugslinger edition which means it's setup for fishing.

https://www.boteboard.com/collections/hd-gatorshell-paddle-boards/products/hd-120-bug-slinger-echo-paddle-board

Pretty psyched to catch some big Redfish and Snook off this thing!

Bōte makes solid stuff. I have the Lono, and it’s fantastic.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Farking Bastage posted:

I think I may have found the closest thing to a perfect used boat there is. The owner bought it new in 2020 then had a long haul bout with covid which messed him up. After meeting with him and his wife, we walked away thinking we should have brought food! Super nice folks. Well, they decided to get rid of it and I was able to come by and check it out. The ad photos suggested that it had 175 hours on it, which I would be alright with provided it was maintained. Turns out it has 17.5 hours!!!!!! The photo from the ad happened to be between the blanking decimal point on the display :wow: It's loving new and the guy doesn't even fish. He was looking for a dual console or a bowrider and got upsold into a CC. It's a 2020 Robalo R200 with a Yamaha F150 on the back.

I took it out for a shakedown cruise yesterday and realized how clueless the owner is. He didn't know that 7" Garmin touchscreen had a sonar on it until I turned it on. I almost feel bad paying ~50k for a rig that lists at close to 80 on the manufacturer's website with installed options. It's new in pretty much every possible manner and not a scratch on it. The only thing I'm going to double check so far is the skeg has signs of of being dragged through the sand, which is really just par for the course in the Big Bend, just to make sure the water passages haven't sucked up any grit. According to the service manual, that engine hasn't had its initial oil change which is recommended at 20 hours. It had good oil pressure and cooled like it should when I drove it, so I'm not too worried about it sitting as much as it has. It will be used multiple times a week under my ownership, just like my microskiff.

I am in disbelief how quickly this thing gets on plane with only 150 HP. 20'6" with a 8'4" beam and a dry weight around 3600 pounds. It loving jumps out of the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tHdULE4SLA
(That's the current owner saying 'drat' in the video, apparently he had no idea you could gun a boat up on plane like that)

That outboard is a 2.7 liter 4 banger and is one of the more bulletproof Yamaha's out there. At a nice 25 MPH cruise it was showing 4.5MPG.

He needs to get rid of it as badly as I want to buy it, so it's looking like a slam dunk.

e: formatting

Fuckin A.

Not particularly related: I’m not a boat owner, but I got a targeted ad for the new Mercury Verado V12 outboard yesterday.

I have no idea what in my browsing history implies that I’m a good target for a $75k 7.6L 600hp outboard, but here we are.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Elmnt80 posted:

I'd recommend draining and refilling the lower unit at the 20 hour service as well, just to clear out any lurking bullshit from the original machining/assembly.

This is good advice for pretty much any engine or gearbox. Break-in can make a little bit of metal.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godamn she must ride like steaming hot garbage that high in the water. Still pretty, though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

There’s a u-boat in your harbor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The real answer is to drink your margarita on the rocks, as Mr Morales intended.