Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Since the old thread was apparently lost to the depths, I'm opening a new thread for people to discuss boats, ships, personal water craft and pretty much anything that goes on (or under) the water. If you've got something you want to show off, dumb questions about why your poo poo keeps sinking on you or you just saw something amazing and feel like sharing it then this is the place for you to post it. Anything is welcome, even sailboats, so post away!

Have some fine examples of the kind of posts you should be making in this thread:

Preoptopus posted:

Boats with cool engines you say?

Feruccio Lamborghini bought the most beautiful boat Riva Aquarama in the world and said gently caress a Chrysler v8s, I need a pair of my 4.0l v12's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LkQbVTWr4g

I should mention that normally thoes boats go from 300 to 600 thousand dollars. I cant imagine what that one would be worth.

VikingSkull posted:

Powerboats, like any high-buck enterprise, sometimes attract a certain type of owner. It's to be expected, but the flipside is there are usually just as many who are happy to bring you on a ride to show off and share in their good fortune if you ask.

I get to work on the big powerboats a lot because the other people in my department are normal, non-autists when it comes to high performance poo poo. I really do love my job sometimes. Mostly, they are "normal" Cigarettes, Fountains and the like. Cigarette is a brand name, but it's also synonymous with the class of boat and you might hear them referred to as such even if it's a different brand.

This is one of the "normal" boats we get, this one sold for around $65,000 IIRC, listed for about $250,000 new though I may be wrong on that.

Also, a correction, the Zul engines in the Cigarette I posted earlier were not Mercury Marine based, they are custom Merlin blocks that originally displaced 540 cubic inches (8.8L for you Euro guys), they were punched out to 620ci IIRC (10.2L!)

And lastly, I'm going to try to keep a handy reference center for boating regulations by country and general safety tips. I'll add to this list as I find stuff in the thread or online and please feel free to PM me if you have something you want added.
UK Boating Regulations
US Boating Regulations

EDIT:
There is now a thread for general boating adventures in the outdoors forum. Come post! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933144

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

If you know what you're doing, its not too expensive. I've got an 25+ year old 17 1/2" long flats boat thats been in mostly salt water all its life, but decent care and maintenance have kept it going. And just like with a car, you can take it to a shop if you don't mind spending more or you can do it yourself for much, much less.

Speaking of which, have a picture of said boat along with an rear end in a top hat ex-friend and his ex-gf standing in front of it. This was the first year I had it working after it sat for the better part of a decade. About $250 spent on replacing dry rotted hoses and parts, rebuilding the carbs, replacing various fluids and rebuilding the lights on the damned trailer 3 times was all it really took to bring it back to life.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knUneRfvY_o
Got to see one of these make a practice pass at a local lake while growing up and it made a hell of an impression on me. Sadly the guy had a game warden on his rear end about 15 seconds afterwards since the lake wasn't closed down for an event and there were people on the water that day. They're just an insane mix of noise and fury to see and I just realized I really need to go see if they host any events down here in the tampa area.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So are those pics, you should really [timg] them instead!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

They don't like having a nice pleasant cruise out to their fishing spot? I wouldn't mind having 900hp to speed my boat out to a wreck made from a ring of tanks thats ~16 miles off shore. Granted, that would probably take more gas than I can carry since the little 90 hp motor will take most of that just trying to get out there and back.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Due to the home owners association where I live feeling that having a boat in your driveway is somehow tacky, I have to store my boat in a large fenced in area. Some of the boats in there haven't moved more than 2-3 times in a decade, but probably the worst offender is the tiny 17ft sailboat that is assigned the spot next to me. It is completely falling apart and every time I go to check on my stuff, I have to pick up pieces of their boat that have been torn off by storms and thrown over onto mine. I'm just amazed they're paying for insurance, tags and such for what is at this point a complete wreck.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'd say cramming people into a pressurized metal tube at the bottom of the ocean counts. Were you working the sub?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI0ve18j0TQ

Have some roadkill playing with boats! :toot:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Apparently part of my delivery area for O'Reillys is going to cover all the marinas and such in my area. Should be good times.

Neslepaks posted:

Like an idiot, I started scraping yesterday. So now I'm committed to a hundred hours of knuckle-breaking, arm-destroying tedious work this spring. And that's before the sanding, priming and painting.

:barf:

Oh god. How long is it and how long do you think its gonna take you?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

All I can ever think of is the stealth boat from that one bond movie when I see a picture of one.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

If any of you guys have a mercury outboard made past 1990, where are you getting your parts? I was looking something up for my boss today and I found poo poo for availability through our major suppliers and found nothing past 1990. Almost as if mercury pulled their poo poo in house around that time.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, I was looking for basic poo poo like impellers, water pump kits and gasket sets. Both the sierra and walker catalogs (both 2014/2015) I was searching through ended at 1990. Are the parts you get specifically mercury branded parts that were straight from mercury themselves being sold or was it an aftermarket company's stuff? Its a work related thing, so I'm kinda limited in what I can pull parts from.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Best value might be to just go through a dealer and get Quicksilver brand, which is basically Mercury OEM. Might be a little more expensive, but if it's work related and/or for your boss(es) the few extra dollars for maintenance parts wouldn't be a bad move. We always had trouble getting Merc parts in correctly from places like Sierra.

If you do want to go aftermarket, call up a boat repair place in your area that specifically ISNT a Mercury Authorized service center and ask them about getting parts.

I probably should have been more specific, this is for us to stock the store I work at, so we're limited to whoever the company is partnered with. Store manager has 0 experience with marine stuff but still wants to sell it, so I volunteered to look it all up. Our marine stuff comes mainly through sierra, thus my problem. Though looking at mercury's website for parts, it mentions something about a classic parts catalog that goes up to 1989. Perhaps in 1990 they took all their parts in-house after doing a huge model refresh and thats why I can't find anything in the sierra catalogs or similar.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 15, 2015

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Ok...wow...seems like kind of an odd thing to specialize in. For outboards, we stocked common things like impeller kits, fuel filters, anodes, other common wear items depending on motor/horsepower/year. Anything else we ordered in as necessary because things barely moved off the shelf and we didn't try to keep huge $$$ in inventory. Sorry but I can't really recommend anyone but Sierra as we were pretty much OEM for Merc/Yamaha/OMC and only went with Sierra aftermarket if we had a customer that insisted on saving a few bucks on his parts.

Its a major chain car parts store, but we're close enough to the gulf that we get a few people in looking for shared parts like fuel/water separators and plugs. Boss wants to step it up with other common wear items (Impellers and water pump kits. Maybe carb kits if there is a decent amount of overlap between models), thus I'm trying to figure out what will sell. Low to mid HP Evinrude/Johnsons, Mid to high HP Yamahas and the mid to high HP Mercs is kinda what I'm thinking just based off what I've seen in my area.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 16, 2015

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Scrapez posted:

Dang, didn't know this thread was here. I'm a huge boater and have been my whole life. Grew up on my parent's sailboats but I kind of diverged from the sailboats when I got to adulthood.

Here's a picture of my previous boat next to my current boat.

The former (boat on the right) was a 1993 Wellcraft Nova Spyder 23. It had a carbed Mercruiser 454 and Bravo 1 drive and would go right at 60 mph on gps. Very fun boat and was in amazing shape from the previous two owners. Still question selling it.

The current boat is the 1998 Wellcraft Scarab 29 on the left. This one has a Mercruiser 502 MPI and Bravo 1 will do about 65 mph on gps. It's a great boat and we upgraded to it because it has a larger cuddy and we plan to overnight on it fairly often. Plus, it's newer and I love the lines of the Scarabs...always have. The bad thing is that the previous owner on this one wasn't as good to it. Currently, the boat is having a new floor put into the cockpit due to rot. Thankfully, the rot did not move to the stringers or transom. Needs a few other little things here and there but should have everything done and ready for spring. The hull is actually in nice shape and the boat only has 325 hours on it.

If anyone has any questions on go-fast (cigarette) style boats (Please for the love of god don't call them cigar boats), I know quite a bit about them. I'm pretty much a huge geek when it comes to go-fast boats and read about them non-stop as well as watch all the boats that come up for sale, etc.

I'm curious to see what the cabin on the scarab looks like. And you know, any other stuff you wanna share. Go-fast boats are generally awesome and anything you wanna share is appreciated. :D

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

And to think, people call me strange for packing my main storage area 75% full of safety poo poo and making sure my vhf radio works. And having 2-3 spare lines in another storage bin. And having a tow line on the boat while I was working out vapor lock issues along with fluids, spare parts and tools.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Why is a rotary boat motor a bad idea aside from a lack of torque? It seems like it would be happy running at high rpms for an extended period of time and the basic motor itself if based on the 12a would be fairly reliable given you don't have to have the whole nest of vacuum lines running everywhere for 14 million little different things. The biggest issue it seems would be keeping everything cool down in the bottom of a boat. Maybe I'm just dumb though.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

the spyder posted:

Oh hell no. Run away from Atkins. Their parts and engines are questionable at best. God forbid you put one in an aircraft.

Not sure if its atkins, but there is a company that sells a version of the wankel engine for aircraft. :haw:

So, if one were to take the atkins portion of the equation out, do you think a marine rotary would have any merrit spyder? Because I'm having some disturbing thoughts about a turboed 20b (or two) in a cigarette boat. Can you make a wankel rotary spin in reverse?

Edit: Mainly, even if the engines don't kick out that much torque, they seem like they'd be fine in a lightweight speed boat. From what I understand of rotarys, they like higher revs, but could they take sustained higher revs, like for hours at a time. And would standard cooling from seawater be enough, or would it need some form of supplemental cooling?

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 11, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Does a rotary have any merit at all apart from an awesome sound and being able to dickwave your 10k rpm redline around? :v:

You get to say wankel alot while talking about it?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I got to chill on a tugboat for a day and they are loving awesome. They were guiding one of the disney cruise ships into nassau harbor and helping dock a cargo ship onto the other side side of the island to drop off supplies. The way you can feel the power it has through the deck is hard to describe. Its literally like waking up a sleeping beast when they really lay into it. poo poo was awesome.:sun:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Oh hey, a mercruiser 470. One of the few I don't know that much about!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Mangroves are a really good natural wave break and will help protect the boats. My grandfather actually rode out a cat 3 in bimini on his boat with my grandmother by driving it as far into the mangroves as possible, laying every anchor he could out even deeper into the mangroves and then just hunkering down. Boat took it like a champ, despite the experience being one he said he never wanted to repeat. Tbh, he bitched more about the mosquitos attacking him when he was laying out the anchors and retrieving them than he did about the actual storm. :shobon:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Also, "I couldn't read the navigational markers, they were confusing me! :saddowns:" I've been from central florida down the gulf coast an absurd number of times. All weather, all times of day. They aren't hard to read and understand. Hell, I learned red right return and what it meant when I was 6 or 7 heading to key west with my grandparents down the icw.

I also learned to not gently caress around on the water if I don't know what I'm doing, but these two seem to have missed that lesson too.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 14, 2018

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Brian Latimer has a good series about the build of his falcon bass boat for the 2019 FLW tour. Its kinda neat to watch. The order they use to build the hull is super neat, along with the fact that it only takes around a week to put it together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktZUSQbt7aA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtoIiKaJaG0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es4bHjH88dc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFXxuUFxMTU

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 24, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Boat cattes are the best cattes. :kimchi:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My grandfather had an outdoor cat that would chill on his boat and hang out in his camper. She knew to stay on board the boat when we were in port and would stay below when we were under way. A good catte. I miss her. :shobon:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

How else is supposed to get the body out deep to dump it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I checked on my boat today. Its in a sad state after sitting for 6-7 years due to reasons. Its all relatively fixable, but some of it will be a fucker to do. The cable steering is siezed loving solid. I need to find a way to open it all up and de rust it and regrease it. And I dunno the term, but it looks like the rear main for the power unit is pissing oil. Im not sure how a two stroke pisses oil, but this one is.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Even in a bigger boat its important. My flats boat has a fairly big 20-25 gallon fuel tank in the bow that when full makes it so damned easy to put that boat on plane with just a small amount of tilt/trim manipulation when you go wot.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ferremit posted:

Sounds like dads 3.5M quintrex with a 25hp Johnson.

WOT is not a valid option

Watch me try. WITNESS ME BROTHERS!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Say yes imo. Whats the worst that can happen? :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'd probably chuck some new wires at it too. But thats awesome. Should putter along just fine with a tune up. :toot:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Fair enough. How long has it been since that old girl was last running?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I did this, but during the rainy season in florida when it rains every day. Then didn't think about it for like a month. I did alotta rewiring afterwards. :haw:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Big Taint posted:

It’s only slightly better than forgetting to put it back in when you launch.

Oh, I've done that a couple times too. Luckily I always caught it before my stupidity got the best of me.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Oh hi, I was redirected to this thread from the spaceflight Megathread

Is this mostly about boring rear end powerboats? I've been thinking about starting a sailing specific thread for ages. I do bay sailing and offshore costal racing.

I could care less about soulless powerboats. Fight me.

I'm pretty sure I get to make the rule since I started this thread, so gently caress yeah post sailboats. Its not like ya'll weren't postin sailboats before, but stull. Official position is a hearty inclusive all boats welcome. gently caress, even kayaks, I ain't care. :v:

I very much enjoy reading about boats powered by all kinds of things, even if my boat burns dead dinosaurs for power.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Popete posted:

Love to immediately hit full throttle right out of the harbor and cause a huge wake in my POWER BOAT.

I'll never not go wot the second I pass the no wake sign. :colbert:

(I still slow down and minimize my wake around smaller sailboats, john boats and other stuff. Going fast is fun, but being polite to other people on the water is super awesome too. Specially when its the tiniest boats. They're so cute. :kimchi:)

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You can go for a "compact" pickup, but I'd limit myself to v6 engines only if the boat weighs over 2k lbs fully loaded including trailer. Nothing like watching a 4 banger 2wd ranger absolutely roast his rear tires trying to pull a boat out of a steep wet boat ramp. :haw:

My 17.5' action craft is an absolute pig, but my 2wd avalanche with a 5.3 v8 handled it well. I mea, towing it frequently probably contributed to my transmission exploding along with a lack of maintenance, but thats my own stupidity there. :v:

If I was to look at an "Ideal" vehicle for my own use, I'd probably look for a taco or 4runner with a 4.0. Maybe a 3.4 if price was more of an object.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Wait, chrysler has never made a 5.7L diesel as far as I'm aware and I think I've sold parts for every motor ever put in a jeep. (Yes, including the rare af diesel ones.)

Even if its the hemi 5.7, it'll be more than enough to scoot along with a boat on the rear end end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Kesper North posted:

Yeah, IIRC it's a Hemi. I know NOTHING about car engines. Do they call them hemis because they've had a hemispherectomy, or....?

The original ones had hemispherical domed pistons to bump up compression and make more power.

The current ones use it as a backronym for high energy multiple ignition, meaning its got dual spark plugs on each cylinder. People recognize the hemi name because ~legacy~ and buy it. Then poo poo themselves when they have to buy 16 $10 spark plugs. :haw: