Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Guys, remember to keep an eye on the weather forecast while you're out on the water. Storms can get pretty nasty, pretty quick. A friend of mine lost his sailboat in this mess:

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2015/04/several_boaters_missing_after.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was on the opposite shore of the bay than where the regatta stuff happened, and it went from overcast and a light breeze to a downpour and tropical storm force winds in what seemed like 15 minutes.

We were having a crawfish boil and had a couple tents set up, so we had to scramble to pull the tents down so they didn't blow away.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Inshore/nearshore, nobody around here really wears PFDs unless they're skiing, or underage. That's just general boating, I haven't done too much sailing, so I don't know about that.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'd imagine that the competitiveness of the event probably has an effect too. For a lot of people, the Dauphin Island race is as much a social event as it is a competitive event.

As in, let's go for a sail with a bunch of people, then sit around drinking beer at the end.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Pulled my in-laws Hobie 16 out from under a pine tree, put the mast up, rigged it, and took it out a little over the weekend. First time it's been in the water in several years.

The old, sun baked tramp developed a small tear, and most everything that moves sticks at some point or another.

Also, I haven't sailed in 10+ years, so I need to figure that out again.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Beach Bum posted:

Make sure you get some new battens for that main and you'll have a much better time out there. Missing the lower batten especially hurts your power.

Does the jib have battens pockets as well? I have a roller furling jib on my 14 and I don't know much about the 16s.

Pretty sure all the battens were there, if not, there is a second sail and boom too.

And yes, the jib has battens as well.

Some of the batten pockets need sewing up, much like most of the boat, lots of little things, but nothing that makes it unsailable.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Anything I should do right away with this thing assuming it was maintained well? Or just enjoy it while learning about boats? Any particular resources to check out?

I'd change the water pump impeller and change the gear oil in the lower unit if you don't know when the last time they were changed. Gear oil should be an annual thing, and the impeller is every other year at least, depending on how much you run it.

Outboards aren't complicated at all, and almost everything is easy to get to.

Edit: those seats aren't leather, they're vinyl.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Oh, also, this past Saturday I stripped the reservoir plug on the power tilt trim on my Yamaha C85 while trying to top up the fluid. Couldn't get the plug back out, so I've ordered a new reservoir, plug, and associated o-rings.

Did manage to successfully get the water pump impeller and gear oil changed though. Just as a reminder, they do sometimes include extra gaskets and o-rings in the kit that your particular motor may not need so that they can cover more models with the same impeller kit.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So, I go to replace the tilt/trim reservoir, and surprise surprise the head of one of the bolts comes off. So, now I'm going to soak that fucker in penetrating oil, cut a slot into the nub that's left, and hope it comes out.

Also, didn't take the tilt/trim unit all the way off because the bottom engine mounting bolts are in the way of taking out the bottom tilt/trim unit bolts. Was able to get it loose and gain access to all of the bolts for the reservoir, but now I'm also going to have to pull the bottom engine mount bolts to pull the tilt/trim all the way off to get that headless bolt out.

At least the boat is clean and waxed, after I spent most of Saturday working on that.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Remember guys, no matter how much you run the tilt/trim, it won't tilt or trim your motor if the manual release screw is out.

Just about ran my battery dead today before I figured that out.

Fortunately it was in my garage where I had just put the tilt/trim unit back on the motor, but still. Was starting to get pissed thinking I had ruined the drat thing.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

blindjoe posted:

Boat people already use premix, so don't need to worry about oil injecting.

Most outboards have moved to 4 stroke now, but most 2 strokes in the last 25 years or so do oil injection.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I always unplug my trailer lights before launching or retrieving my boat, and give them a bit of time to drain before plugging them back in. Granted, they're not trailer brakes, but it works well enough.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from the 3d printing thread, making replacement light fixtures for my Scout 172.

A quick and dirty boat light fixture replacement:

The exterior:

The back side. The old incandescent lamp backing has disintegrated over the 20 years the boat's been around.

Replacement printed:

LEDs installed. Still going to insulate the connections with silicone.

Clamped together to get the feel:

Probably going to print one more iteration after I try this one out on the boat tomorrow. I don't think the lens sits deep enough in the print to fit flush on the boat. Already have the design tweaked, just got to print it tomorrow.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

cakesmith handyman posted:

Looks like you just need to counter bore the screw holes for the bezel, or is there not enough thickness in the print?

There is, and I will. The screw holes aren't exactly lined up either. I'll probably drill it out and reinforce with some glue/epoxy around there.

Also, the recess for the lens wasn't deep enough on that one, so the one I'm printing now should be better.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Courtesy lights installed:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Decided to build a plywood pirogue on a whim. Been picking at it little by little as I have time since Saturday, and got to the point today after gluing the stems that it's starting to actually look like a boat.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
This weekend's progress on the pirogue:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

cakesmith handyman posted:

Serious question: how easy is fiberglassing something like that for a beginner?

It was my first time, and I think I did okay. Read up on and watched a bunch of youtube videos on it beforehand, mostly relating to cedar strip canoes, but it's the same process, just on a different vessel. I learned a few things that'll be helpful if I ever do it again, but nothing that was a dealbreaker.

There are a couple small bubbles that I'll use a syringe and small drill bit to fill, but honestly it was a bit easier than I thought it would be.

The big thing is getting a feel for the epoxy resin. Helped that I used a slow hardener and it was relatively "cool" this weekend at 80F. Gave me plenty of working time, and I alternated between 3oz and 6oz pots, depending on what I was doing. Checked it this morning on my way out the door to work, and the wet coat and one fill coat I put on there yesterday (fill coat at 8pm) had almost fully cured.

I also have an uncle that does boat work for a living, and I've picked his brain a little bit over the years, but he was on a sailboat on his way back from Cuba for the past week, so communication was limited.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

n0tqu1tesane posted:

This weekend's progress on the pirogue:

Update:

Some bugs decided to try and go all Jurassic Park, but unfortunately they will not last 75 million years in resin, and will get sanded away.

Quick sand of the bottom, made sure to bring down all the trimmed fiberglass, so that I don't cut my hand.

Fiberglassed the interior seams, and painted the rest of the bare wood with epoxy resin.

Going to go buy paint tonight, do a little sanding, then paint the bottom and inside tomorrow and Friday. Hope to have it on the water this weekend.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

bird cooch posted:

Bugs love resin, I work with composites and there's always a fly or something in a big open job. If you get a big sheet of release film and use it as a cover it works great right up till the final beauty layer on hand laid projects. That's a really cool build you have going. Are you planning on just doing the one or are you going to go bigger next?

I kinda want to build another one of these, with all that I've learned building this one, but this will probably be it for a while unless friends/family rope me into helping build them one of their own.

Don't really have much of a need to build a bigger boat, this is for my lab and I to paddle around on, and I've got a 1995 Scout 172 that fills the rest of my boating needs, for the most part.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Turns out that the gallon of white paint I thought I had was off-white. Oh well, it'll hide the tannins from my usual river spot a bit better than plain white. Still, got two coats on tonight.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Scrapez posted:

You work quickly and that thing is a beauty. Very cool project.

I've only been spending a couple hours a night on it, and as such it's one of those things that looks good from 10 feet, but up close you can see all the glaring flaws. Of course, that may just be because I'm the one building it.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Coat of primer, and a coat of green on the bottom tonight. Will do another coat of green tomorrow morning.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Put a second coat of green on the bottom.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Triple posting:

Pulled off the tape, and out into the sun.

Immediately regretted not cleaning off the work table better before putting the pirogue down on it.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I think what would really blow their mind would be showing them something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btNKDYvVK1g

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Delivery McGee posted:

I drive a car* without a roof rack, so inflatable would be nice, but I'm sure I could find some way to bodge on a carrier for a tiny boat, or hack up one of those cheap Harbor Freight trailers.

1) You can get foam block and strap kits that don't require a roof rack for carrying kayaks on your roof. Here's one: https://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Car-Top-Kayak-Carrier-Kit/dp/B003EET2OE

2) Harbor Freight stopped selling and recalled their trailers. Looks like there was an issue with the tires possibly not being DOT compliant. http://www.rubbernews.com/article/20171024/NEWS/171029982/harbor-freight-tools-recalls-173000-trailer-tires

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
They had someone show them how to sail for a few days as they went from Alabama to Tampa. Still, that's not nearly enough experience to then take the boat on your own and sail the Carribean.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

$5k boat with a $2k chart plotter?

You can get a functional chart plotter for $125. https://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-000-11823-001-Fishfinder-Chartplotter-Transducer/dp/B00R9X6KCS/

Or $200 if you want a color screen: https://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-ELITE-4-HDI-Fishfinder-Transducer/dp/B00INCFMSC/

Granted, those only come with pretty basic maps, and don't have the biggest screen, but it's functional, and can be used with paper maps if you want more detail on a budget.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Someone gave the inexperienced "Sail the Caribbean!" couple a new boat for $1. Hopefully they'll spend more time learning to sail before setting out for a multi-day trip again, but they probably won't.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/Couple-whose-dream-boat-sank-gets-a-bigger-better-boat-for-a-buck_165898742

n0tqu1tesane fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 7, 2018

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

gvibes posted:

How dumb would buying an old Hobie Cat be? Like a Hobie 16. Supply and parts seem plentiful. Seems like older ones with sold hulls go for 1500 and under, and even if new sails were required, that would be less than 1k more, I think.

Would have a place to just leave it and drag it into the water whenever needed.

e: used to sail dinky little sunfish/butterfly boats quite often a real long time ago.

I'm going in the morning to lace the tramp on my father in law's Hobie 16 tomorrow. It's an old one, and he spent $200 or so on various bits and bobs a couple years ago, and $200 on a new tramp this year. They're lots of fun, we're all going to try and start teaching my 6 year old nephew to sail.

He keeps it on the beach anchored to a tree at his bay house during the summers, pretty easy for a single person to throw on the sails and go for a ride in short order.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Welp, I guess it's time for a new boat trailer...

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Granted, the trailer is probably 20+ years old at this point, and has lived in a salt/brackish water environment, so it's pretty amazing it's lasted this long.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

chrisgt posted:

Since galvanized trailers aren't welded, that piece is likely just bolted on. If the rest of the trailer is in decent condition it might be fairly cheap to have a trailer shop bend you a new one of those. Could buy you a few more years out of the trailer for not much money.

Oh, it is bolted on. However, the rest of the trailer isn't too far behind this cross member as far as rust goes. The back of the frame where this cross member attaches is pretty far gone rusted from the inside out. And, the front cross member has already rusted out on the bottom. And the wood runners are due for replacement.

I've known this was coming for a while, and have a good line on a used aluminum trailer, but was kinda hoping to limp this one along until the end of the boating season.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Welp, I guess it's time for a new boat trailer...

New (to me) aluminum boat trailer acquired:

Hopefully this'll last one more trip to the boat ramp tomorrow:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

TrueChaos posted:

How do you miss the giant sailboat with sails up??

Autopilot and beer, probably.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

n0tqu1tesane posted:

New (to me) aluminum boat trailer acquired:

Hopefully this'll last one more trip to the boat ramp tomorrow:

Side by side comparison.

On the new trailer.

Still need to adjust the bunks some more, right now it can slide side to side on them more than I'd like. Debating trying to do it while the boat's still on the trailer, or just wait until the next time I launch.

EDIT: For comparison, here's it on the old trailer:

n0tqu1tesane fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 19, 2018

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Threw together an outboard stand to get this Yamaha 9.9 working again. According to my uncle, who passed the outboard along to me, the cooling passages are clogged. Not worth paying a mechanic to fix, but if I can get it going, hey, free outboard.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Took my Scout 172 out for the first time since Christmas yesterday. Guess this winter it's been like a Christmas-Easter Christian. Also looked at a piece of waterfront property on the river that my mother, brother and I might buy. Land's just wooded, but it's got a two slip boathouse, and a bulkhead along the water. Granted, both of them need work, but they're serviceable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Also the tinned copper of proper marine cable resists corrosion at the connections better or something.