Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Yay, new boat thread. If you remember me posting (and complaining) about my old boat in the old thread, I've replaced it with a nicer one.

Same sort of size and vintage, but in much better shape. She also has a more desirable semi-displacement hull and a newer, bigger engine. I have various small projects I can post more about in the spring, for now she's all tarped up and braced for winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Kenshin posted:

That's a beautiful cabin cruiser. I'm guessing you use it for multi-day trips during the summer?

How many does it sleep, and does it have a galley & refrigerator and all?

Yeah, it's a classic Norwegian holiday boat. It's got all the amenities you can reasonably expect from such a small (24 ft) boat: hot and cold water, electric toilet, an outdoor shower, a two-burner alcohol stove, diesel heater. No fridge, but an ice box. It keeps cool for about 3 days when I fill it with ice.

The interior converts into a large double bed, while the backrests can lift up and attach to the roof with straps to make two additional small beds for children. Cramped but cozy.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Like an idiot, I started scraping yesterday. So now I'm committed to a hundred hours of knuckle-breaking, arm-destroying tedious work this spring. And that's before the sanding, priming and painting.

:barf:

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Yeah, my plan is to handscrape it first then sand it lightly with a machine to get the rest off. I hope I can enlist some friends too, or this is gonna take forever.

The bottom paint was flaking right down to the gelcoat, and that just doesn't seem right. I don't think they sanded the gelcoat before priming it, whoever did this last time, because it's completely shiny under there, I can see my reflection in the areas I've scraped. So the primer presumably had no good hold.

Elmnt80: it's 24'.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Scraping saga, day 2.

There's good news and bad. I didn't make much progress down the side but I cleaned up the area I'd been working on a lot. I bought a nice electric multitool with a scraping attachment in the hopes I could speed it up that way, but it was useless. The good news is I also bought a more expensive hand scraper with a hard-metal edge that works 10 times better than the first one. I'm guessing I'm 1/5th down one side at this point. Trying to avoid injuries to the gelcoat but I'm bound to have to go over with some filler before priming.

2-3 hours seems to be all I can manage at a time before I get too many cramps and pains and have to go home and drink beer. Hoping I can manage some longer sessions during Easter. Maybe if I bring the beer with me?

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Scraping buddies unite.

Finally finished one side. About 1/3rd of the other side is done too.

Dreading the sanding. What grade paper are you using, Anders?

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

I bought a bunch of 120 paper which I now realise will be useless, better get some 40/60. I also intend to use a polishing machine I bought for sanding, so we'll see how dumb that turns out to be.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Well my projects don't move fast (life, a babby, etc), but there's some progress. Scraping is finished, and got one half sanded. Decided to stick with 120 paper after all since there was basically nothing left between me and the gelcoat. It seems like a good decision, as I still got a whole side done in a day.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Well it's been a hectic final push in the ~*scraping saga*~, but I made the launching window on the very last day. Here's a rundown of the past week:

Fourth and final coat of epoxy primer on, Tuesday evening.

First coat of anti-foul, black, Wednesday morning.

Final coat of anti-foul, blue, Wednesday evening.

In between I found time to shine up the old bronze screw.

And somehow also found time to install a raw water strainer (bottom left). I had to put it on the "wrong" side of the engine, so the hoses are long as poo poo, but I don't think that should be a problem. Just extra peace of mind that the heat exchanger doesn't clog up with mussels and jellyfish over time.

Yoink, Thursday morning.

Plop. In the right element and running nicely. :)

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Bibendum posted:

Oh wow, seeing all the pictures of the bow before I assumed it was a planing hull with an outdrive, but it turns out to be a cute and economical double-ender. Color me happily surprised.

It's actually a semi-planing hull so it can sort of go fast as well, with enough power. Traditional nordic "snekke" design over the water line... you could say it's a sleeper. :)

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

So last week I decided to address the elephant in the room; the fuel system. I started by draining the water separator and boy it was brimming with water. There was also a good amount of grit in there, so I decided I better take the whole thing apart and clean it up properly. Here's where I made my mistake, I thought I better do this on the pier so I don't spill diesel in the boat. All finished up and just going to blow the last speck of dust away, of course the gasket goes flying into the sea and sinks.

Waiting for new gaskets to arrive...

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Gaskets arrived and fit. Put the water separator back together, changed the fine filter on the engine, and through more luck than skill or proper procedure, I seem to have bled it well enough. Ran the engine for 10 mins @2200 without so much as a cough. Phew!

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

This is the season of using and enjoying a boat, not for projects. But have a holiday pic.

Moored at Oscarsborg guest harbour, next to two immaculate wooden boats.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

No projects, I said, but invariably there are some. Today I fixed the shower. The mixer and the head were both cracked from frost and got replaced. Much loving around with gaskets and grease to get the thing to not leak.

(It's for use outside, on the swimming platform, for those who wonder about the placement.)

e: second pic

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Boat was put on land Friday. Today I did the bulk of the winterization stuff. Ran antifreeze through the engine's raw water circuit, and through the toilet. Emptied the fresh water tank and all the taps. I have no access to the water tank without taking a lot of stuff apart, so I have to drain it using the pump. Wish I'd remembered that while it was on water so I didn't have to drain a battery doing that on land... :downs:

Her view for the winter

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Tarped!

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

I find it hilarious that you think that little thing has a radio, signal flags, and horn. Get real. :)

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Kenshin posted:

If they are in the US they are legally obligated to have some of those things, even on that little power boat.

Yeah ok. On my side of the pond there aren't many rules of this sort for such small craft, and if there were, they'd never be enforced.

This year we got the vest law, which dictates that everyone in a boat under 8m length must wear a floatation device when under way. Even that has been a huge ruckus.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

TheFluff posted:

boats are the loving worst, why would anyone ever get the idea of getting a boat

I'm scraping bottom paint and it's awful, but ask me again in three months and I'll tell you that boats are the best goddamned thing ever

You have my sympathies, I did it last year (chronicled somewhere back in this thread), and it's not something I ever want to do again.

This year though, plain sailing, launched in April!

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Just got home from vacation, 15 days at sea. Slowly crawling around the Oslofjord and Vestfold coast. Hope everyone else is having a suitably salty summer. Couple of random pics.

Leaving Åsgårdstrand.

Approaching Drøbak, Oscarsborg fortress in centre of pic

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

I forgot I was going to share my last little project right before I set off on vacation.

I installed this shore power + charger kit. It's a plug'n'play sort of deal with no exposed 220V leads so it's legal to install it yourself. It was pricey but I'm super happy about it, it's a real relief to know the batteries are always topped up even after spending 3-4 days in a guest marina. Electric toilet as much as you want, cell phone charging, etc. Plus there's always hot water (after I figured out why there wasn't - whoever installed it had the thermostat set to 0).

Rather a neat job with my fists of ham, if I must say so myself.

The scary part was drilling in the boat's side.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

I went with this package: http://www.seatronic.no/landstrom-landstrom-c-81_385/defa-landstromspakke-p-4737

Plus a compatible DEFA charger. Doubt you can get this exact kit locally but probably something roughly similar.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Not that much cheaper once you add the galvanic isolator. Which you probably should!

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

If that's the only place you'll be using it then no. :)

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Boat season is coming! :woop:

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Hull polish before/after:

I have a confession to make, I've never really bothered with the full polish before. It was more satisfying than I thought it would be though. It really makes a difference, even without a machine or much patience.

I know, I need to do the top too, but that can be done after launch.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Scrapez posted:

Nice job. What did you use?

Cheap polish and a rag. :q:

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Humbug posted:

Looks good. I do mine every year, but i have a dark blue hull that looks poo poo without any attention. A machine does make it pretty manageable though. I get my 28 footer done in about 2 hours using a long throw DA polisher and "Felden Marine Nano Polish" That stuff is goddamn magical. Cleans polishes and seals as good as any individual product i've tried all in one operation. Doesn't hold an entire season, but then neither has any wax or sealant i've tried. Too bad its freaking expensive. Should work fine by hand as well.

I have another confession to make. I bought a machine a couple of years ago but couldn't see how it'd help me, it just seemed heavy and cumbersome. Maybe I'll try again now that I've done it once by hand.

Also googling "Felden Marine Nano Polish" didn't turn up anything, you certain about the name?

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Fjord Terne? Very nice. We probably have the same engine. :)

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Ah ok, not the same then. I have the 96hp 4JH2-UTE that I've noticed is also in a lot of Ternes. Yours would be the 4LH(A) I suppose. 220hp, that thing must go like a stabbed rat!

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Launched!

Wow, it got late this year. But the weather's been poo poo so who cares I guess.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Welcome to the hell club of boat ownership, bird cooch! Looks good!

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Hello it's that time of year again. Boat (finally) launched. Daughter approves.

This year's big improvement is all the faux leather reupholstered. I'll try to post some pics of that later.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Here's the new upholstry. I had to have the backrests go back for some adjustments, but I'm finally happy now. The light brown stripes used to be a very 1980s dark red.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Back from this year's boat vacation and let me just say this. Now that we're four people.

We're gonna need a bigger boat.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

TheFluff posted:

I signed the purchase papers for this today. This is scary and I won't get to sail it again until this spring :negative:
I guess I'll have to post a bunch about various winter projects until then.

The gentleman who's owned her since new turns 85 years old next month but he sailed her until last year - he broke his leg this spring and that's what finally stopped him. Life goals. (Well, not the breaking a leg part)

Welcome to the covenant of the damned.

Enjoy your boat. Enjoy working on it (this is the key). And of course, enjoy spending money.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Bye bye boat season. :smith:

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

It's snowing here too, I'm just late this year.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Managed to swap my 3.5m berth for a 4.5m one. All set for an even bigger money hole :sureboat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Check out my polish.

Not too shabby for an almost 35 year old moneyhole.