Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Kenshin posted:

Even if you just want your own boat it's probably a good idea to do classes. That said there is the (relatively) famous experience of the couple who circumnavigated on "Bumfuzzle", a ~40ft catamaran, back in the mid 2000s, who took the first day of their ASA 101 class, decided they didn't like taking classes, and then just went sailing. They made it, though as I read through their blog even near the end of their trip around the world 2-handing their boat they were still doing things that made me facepalm because I'd learned those things in my classes and they didn't do them while sailing around the world.

I have spent all afternoon reading Bumfuzzle - it starts here: http://www.bumfuzzle.com/blog/2003/09/01/septemberoctober-2003/ - it's a good read; I might buy the book for a friend for Christmas. Yes, they make some slap-head mistakes (topfurler!) but fair play to them, they seemed better at learning on-the-job than most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Kenshin posted:

Yeah I lost about a week of my free time to that blog (and hours of slow time at work)

I'm about half-way through I think. It's good, but I wish they'd actually SAIL somewhere instead of dieselling all over the place when there's wind! Is there something a bit special about a liveaboard cat where you have to use the motor if the wind is above 5kts?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Collateral Damage posted:

Speak of the devil. Today the Visby-class HMS Härnösand moored right outside our office.

Must be depressing to not be able to walk about on deck on your off time :(

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

monsterzero posted:

Is there a point where (sail)boating goes from cheap and cheerful to hilariously expensive?

• when you decide you like the look of a wooden boat instead
• when you decide to start racing

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

monsterzero posted:

I don't think there's an active racing scene for anything much larger than beach cats nearby, but my friend's dad has an Express 27 on the lake and and races OPB on the bay sometimes. I'm going to be leaning on for advice and hopefully he will let me crew for him or make some introductions for me.

Even this will give you loads of experience in short order. It's how I learnt.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Adiabatic posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/2c0xqBe

Well gently caress, now I want a tugboat.

Ah yeah, from the way it moves I bet that thing has a Voith drive.

e: oop no: https://www.alfonshakans.fi/fleet/info/fleet/detail/39/

meltie fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 12, 2017

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

CommieGIR posted:

Someone chip in and let's buy a U-Boat....

I hear this one's cheap: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_U-475_Black_Widow

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Alctel posted:

I've been singlehanding a 36' (that i live on) around the pnw for the last 3 years and heading off next year to attempt a solo circumnavigation of the globe . Singlehanding is all about having everything setup correctly and thinking everything through before you do it

I've been following your blog ⛵️😁

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

The Locator posted:

So this is pretty interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qipWHayS-c

Based on the hull length, the hull speed calculates out to 25 knots, so with a decent wind, this thing should be the fastest sailing yacht in the world I imagine. Interesting that they use the propellers in high wind conditions to drive generators for electrical power.

That thing is uglier than an Airbus A380.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
That's beautiful!

Mate, if the engine's been fine for 40 years, you're not going to need to replace it. Have it overhauled by a local shop with a good reputation and it'll be fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and all that.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Humbug posted:

Of course the boat god punished me for my hubris, and now the freshwater galley pump has developed an intermittent problem, and the septic tank drainage valve has broken closed. The septic tank is quite literally a biological time bomb in this hot summer weather, so really looking forward to that job in the near future. Boats; not even once.

uuuuurgh, black tanks.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

BalloonFish posted:

Not really nautical, and certainly not insanity, but I spent the last 3.5 days chugging around the Norfolk Broads on the floating equivalent of a VW camper and it was great!

Bloody hell you had the weather for it!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

quote:

Wasting 10W of power on a tiny little bulb when I can use a 3€ LED that draws less than 1W is just bizarre though, so out they go

I bet the cabin is cooler without those little 10W heaters running!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

TheFluff posted:

Boat update: it leaks. Much like every boat ever. It's from above though and not from below, which makes it far easier to deal with. More specifically, in the cockpit floor there's a threaded brass mount for a table leg that hasn't been used for probably 20 years (there is a different system for mounting a table in the cockpit now), and it seems to have gradually worked itself loose from the sealant. The floor is a very period correct fiberglass-balsa wood sandwich, and the balsa around the mount has started to rot. Since the mount isn't used anymore (we don't even have the threaded rod that would fit in the blind hole) I'm thinking I should just get rid of the mounting entirely, scrape out a centimeter or three of rotten balsa, tape the bottom of the hole from below and then just fill the entire thing up with epoxi, and be rid of the problem once and for all. Thoughts?

Do it. You might be scared to find out how far that rot's spread... but you probably need to know before you put your foot through it?

I get so annoyed at people that drill holes in yachts then wonder why they leak.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Crunchy Black posted:

I will never understand people who don't want to go as fast as possible, all the time, on sailboats, but y'all do you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UokOO60dsMU 😎

I wish this had existed back in the 90s.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Neslepaks posted:

God such squalor. A sea hobo.

Yeah, I can smell his boat through the Internet. Hats off though, his pilot is super impressive stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbezaHPm_MU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Crunchy Black posted:

I was reminded why I mast, now, and don't foredeck anymore when our bowgirl went over at NOODs last weekend after a bad douse+gybe+vertical pole maneuver. She held onto the lifeline AND the pole though and had me stow it before I pulled her back onboard; still salvaged a 3rd out of that race.

:stare: flippin' trooper there!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

TheFluff posted:

Regardless, the whole adventure seems to have been completely unnecessary since the drat thing looked almost pristine on the inside. Some gunk around the hose fittings and the hole for the zinc anode but I can't see any meaningful obstructions to the cooling channels at all and there's no scale buildup or anything of note that I can see. I did solve a cold case from last fall, The Mysterious Disappearance of the Impeller Wing, which sure enough was where you'd expect it to be at the bottom of the heat exchanger. I'm gonna order a new gasket for the bottom cover (the company that made these is still in business and spare parts are available - they even sell new kits like this one still) and some new hose clamps, then put the whole thing back together and let it keep trucking, I guess.

That's quite frankly, impressive, considering that it looked to be leaking Finest Green from the outside!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

TheFluff posted:

Here's the current anode after one season - thinking I'll just scrape it clean and let it run another year, but then again a new one is :10bux: so might not even be worth the effort.

Replace it now and keep the old one in the spares box!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

TheFluff posted:

8mm diameter by 40mm long, so a standard size, but I'm in Sweden and I highly doubt McMaster will ship one here by Friday :v:

Well, you're going to need something to go in there after you get it out, because that one is chooched :v:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Humbug posted:

The fuel to water ratio from my fuel tank seems about right.

Time for a new fuel cap methinks, allthough the old one looks fine. Could be some ethanol phase separation going on too.

your marmalade looks off

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Femtosecond posted:

Everything in this locker area feels kinda ad hoc and custom

Welcome to boat ownership!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Humbug posted:

Your measurement method is a bit unusual to me, but from what you describe, you are only measuring the positive side of the circuit. You could easily loose another 0.7V across the ground. A 0.5V voltage drop with no load doesn't make sense to me though. Could you have a ignition switched battery isolator in your system that has gone bad?

It makes sense, it's a technique to show up poor connections that have increased resistance. I've done it with success on old Land Rovers before.

OP; that's a surprising but not catastrophic voltage drop. If you take off, inspect, properly clean and retighten each connection in turn you might see an improvement.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

occluded posted:

I’m on a sail training week and one of the guys is super young and literally will only talk about girls and shagging. It’s infected the other three guys on board including the instructor, and, like, banter is ok but I can’t wait to be off the boy boat so I don’t have to listen to them compare tit sizes of all the danish birds they’ve etc etc etc.

At least apart from sex talk the instructor is fantastic and I crushed some blind nav and night pilotage exercises yesterday so it’s not all dire.

have you tried asking them all to not anymore, or do you not want to *ahem* rock the boat?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

occluded posted:

I’m on a Yachtmaster development course so I need to at least not piss the instructor off. He’d get it, I’m sure, but I can’t be hosed to endure two days of stony looks.

I did get in a huge argument though with an ex-cop on my last boat when he was gushing about how cool it is to be in riots when the horse police show up and charge the crowd; I’ve had friends who got teeth kicked in in situations like that.

Sheesh, you've got bad luck with crews.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Rime posted:

Always depressing to see owners let poo poo fall apart to this extent, for these rare boats which still command pretty high resale prices when they aren't left to rot. Compromised deck sandwich I could repair, but that thing would require multiple years of yard time. $5k would be a generous offer.

:negative:

ergh. Offer them $1, and prepare to sleep out under it in summer to get the work done.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Rime posted:

Cons:
- this has an aluminum insert for the cockpit which is :wtc: on a steel hull

mmm, powdery!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Hadlock posted:

In order, I suggest the El Toro, Vanguard 15, J/24, VX One

I suggest trying to squeeze yourself into an Optimist.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Yeep posted:

Is this the right thread to ask about fixing up an old plywood mirror dinghy? It's been sat in a dry garage for almost 20 years but before that got left outside for a winter and filled with water, which caused the trailer supports to push up into the bottom of the hull a bit. The upper mast has also split a bit along what looks like a glue line. Other than that the sails are all in good condition, the lines feel solid and nothing sounds rotten when I tap it.

I think at the very least I need to strip the hull paint and varnish off so I can actually check the underlying wood.

Ooh I sunk one of those once. From the outside. By bumping my dinghy into them when we were both waiting behind a start line for the race to begin.

Their boat was rotten and the little knock punched a slot into their hull just above the waterline :whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Yeep posted:

I'm fairly sure there are no proper leaks because it got left outside last week while we were doing some work in the shed and I had to bail an entire boatful of rainwater out after.
The other problem is I currently have no way of getting it to water. The Skoda in the background doesn't have a tow hook and getting one fitted is more than I can really justify spending right now, and my other car is electric and not rated for towing at all. So stripping paint is easier than begging friends or family to tow me to a lake.

Upside down on a roof rack?