Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Boats are a great way to enjoy nature. I'd love to get something affordable so I could go fishing, diving etc. Or whale watching, like these two guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFf74QHAFrE

The guy not filming says he can see bubbles all around them. Then suddenly...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tekne posted:

SS Delphine, Horace Dodge's personal yacht, is still seaworthy and providing voyages for lucky bastards.

Oh my god. I've always thought the high tech luxury yachts that superstars and CEOs get are ridiculous but this baby is something else. If I ever make it big etc.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

TheFluff posted:

I sail on a 10-meter plastic sailboat from the 70's in the Baltic sea.

Lovely! The Baltic sea is quite brackish, isn't it? At least I know shipwrecks are very well preserved there, is there less growth (and perhaps less maintenance) on the hull as well?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This is probably one of those ridiculous debates like motor oil or whatever, but I've heard that catamarans on the big ocean was a no-no since they won't right themselves if they capsize. How does it rate between 1 and 10 on the bovine scatometer?

Ola fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 20, 2014

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Right, so it's more of (or just as much) a wind catch thing than a rolling upright thing. Still, if you go under with your monohull mid-Atlantic and roll upright again, I bet it's still not a great day out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cool video. http://www.tu.no/tutv/industri/2014/12/17/se-maskinen-kutte-84-mm-kjetting-pa-1-sekund

It's an emergency chain cutter which eats through 84 mm (3.3") of chain in one second. I assume it has been developed in reponse to a capsizing during anchor handling a few years ago, which caused several fatalities. Pretty impressive!