Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That thing is loving gorgeous.

I take it that your grandfather hated you and wanted to consign you to a life of being constantly broke to keep this thing looking/running like this. :)

Seriously though, great story, and I hope you are able to keep that in the family forever. Wish I lived anywhere near you so I could come drool on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

Ha thats pretty much my career plan, make enough money to keep and maintain my boat! If you ever get close enough come drool! The boat is on a shore tracker system made by DH docks. Its essentially some big rear end 3 phase leeson AC motors with reduction drives and a block and tackle with stainless line to pull/push the trolley into/out of the water. They are stored in our boat garage about 40 yards back from the water that my great grandfather built before you had to get permitted to build on the water as you could never build a set up like this today.

That launch/recovery system and boat house are friggen awesome. Do you live there, or is it just the boathouse on the lake?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Alctel posted:

At least in the club near me they try to assign the beginners to people who don't really care about winning super much and are in it just for the love of sailing and have expressed an interest in helping teach people

When I was a teenager I crewed for sailboat races with an acquaintance of my dad, and this was exactly the situation. He just loved to sail. I mean the boat was an O'Day 26 (or 29 - it's been a long time), which isn't exactly a racing boat, but we had a great time.

Alctel posted:

Also there is a sport fishing boat a few slips along from me with 3, 300HP engines O_O

What would you even need 900HP for anyway? It's not even a charter boat

If he was really into tournament fishing, those guys want stupid fast boats in order to be the first one to the 'good' spots, and also to maximize the time at the fishing spots before blazing back to the dock right before the deadline. At least that's the excuse the guys with crazy engined fishing boats out here in the desert use.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Cakefool posted:

Wait what?

Arizona - we have lakes on the Verde (Bartlett and Horseshoe) and Salt (Saguaro, Canyon, Apache, and Roosevelt), as well as Lake Pleasant on the Hassayampa. There are a stupid number of boats in the Phoenix area, and as noted above, it's not much of a drive to get to any of the Colorado river lakes.

Bass boats with multiple 2-300 HP engines are pretty common, or were when I was active in boating (which has been a while to be fair). I still see them on trailers pretty regular on the highway.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Also I don't know what The Locator is talking about with having multiple engines on a bass boat. I haven't even heard of that existing.

As a non-fisherman, every boat with that sort of center console and everything else 'open' is a bass boat to me. I'm probably completely wrong.

I lump everything that's obviously supposed to be a 'fishing boat' into that category I suppose - like this thing:

Which I suppose isn't really a bass boat at all, but there are a huge number of variations of this type of boat, and I've seen a bunch of them around (although most around here aren't that large).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SuperDucky posted:

The guy in this story, Tony, was on our north American champion race team. He's drat lucky to be alive.
http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2015/04/light_o_mobile_rescues_3_men_s.html#incart_related_stories

So this is probably a dumb question from a landlubber, but back in my teens when I did a bit of crewing on a sail boat in some summer races locally, everyone was required to be wearing life vests at all times during the race. In all of the stories about this regatta disaster, a common theme is 'the life vests were below'. Life vests seem like a fairly obvious thing to have on during sailboat racing where it's really not *that* uncommon for a guy to go overboard or for a boat to capsize, why are these crews not wearing them?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Interesting, thanks.

Also, this was posted on another website, and it's interesting to see how the wind came up. They ride it out downwind, which seems odd to me, I always though it was best to point into the wind (they are under power, not sails)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJF7i5z9lQ4

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SuperDucky posted:

Locator, talked to Tony on Wednesday.

The long and the short of it is, the storm came up so quickly no one had a chance to don any preservers before poo poo hit the fan. They were about 150 yards from the finish and thought they could out run the storm through the finish line and take the rags down, then. They didn't have time. Not that I'd say its an excuse when you're on a saltwater body, but, there's your answer.

Cool, thanks. I haven't stepped foot on a sailboat in well over 30 years now, so it just surprised me, given that it was required for everyone participating in the races that I was in as a teenager, but that was a pretty limited exposure to the sport and the rules were no doubt local.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

ZincBoy posted:

Glad to see you actually shook the sails out. I can't remember seeing too many cats with the sails out.

Why would someone rent a sailboat, and then not sail it? Why not just rent a powerboat instead?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So this is a pretty awesome video to spend 12 minutes of your life on. Construction of the Fairlie 55, combining some very traditional ship-building with modern materials and tools, and producing a beautiful result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDgKIPaW5xY

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

That's a cool video. What were they doing before flipping it over, where they put some kind of mesh over the wood and then put the green stuff on it? Is that a kevlar/fiberglass and epoxy resin reinforcement layer?

I believe the mesh/resin was fiberglassing it, and I assume by the way they were sanding it after the green stuff, it's a filler to ensure no dips or bumps show on the final product. It was a crying shame to see that beautiful planking get covered up though. :)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Popete posted:

Last thing I wanna do is buy a boat and go broke maintaining and repairing it cause I didn't know what to look for.

It's a boat, that's what they are for, a black hole for you to shovel money into. Bonus (poor) points if you get a wooden sailboat!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So you guys might enjoy this. It's a video of the construction of a Fairlie 55'. It's a beatiful merger of modern techniques and classic boat building construction. Also, it makes me drool a lot and wish I was rich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDgKIPaW5xY

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I think it needs more sails.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

TheFluff posted:

Gotta brag a bit and post some gratuitous photos. Sailing this wooden yacht this week with some family friends. Primrose is her name, a 43 ft yacht built in Gothenburg in 1938, not to any particular rule. Three families share ownership, and I think that's about right for the amount of maintenance a boat like this requires.

That's a gorgeous boat.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Kenshin posted:

I skippered another charter with friends this past weekend, this time in the San Juan Islands close to home here in Seattle.

s/v Christelle, a 50' Beneteau Oceanis. We had a comfortable trip with two days of good sailing and then two days of glassy seas with comfortable motoring. Split between 10 people (yes, we fit 10 on the boat fairly comfortably!) it only cost us about $440/person, self-provisioned (and including the cost of provisions and the moorage fee for the night we weren't anchored).

What a fantastic way to vacation.

I spent the weekend at the San Diego Festival of Sail. Got to sail on American Pride (129' Three-masted Schooner built in 1941), Bill of Rights (129' Gaff Topsail Schooner built in 1971), Amazing Grace (83' Topsail Schooner built in 1989), and the Curlew (82' John Alden designed Staysail Schooner built in 1926). It was a fantastic weekend.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I've always loved the looks of the Scarab's. I will probably never own one though.

After many years of not doing anything at all boating related, I recently started taking introduction to sailing classes though, on the local town lake using Capri 14.2's. It's been a lot of fun.

I'm the ugly one in in the back, the pretty person is another student who was my sailing partner Saturday.

This was while we were standing around waiting on the local yacht club guys try to figure out how to get the boat out of the water, since while we were out sailing somebody stole the trailer. The club uses these really crappy trailers that I'd be terrified of taking out on the road, but they only use them to store the boats in the yard at the top of the ramp, they never leave the marina, so everyone was pretty flabbergasted that someone actually took one of them, but now they are going to have to think about using tongue locks on them, since they ferry the boats to the water and back, and the trailers are just sitting in the parking lot not attached to anything during the time the boats are on the lake.

They ended up 'borrowing' another trailer that was sitting in the lot, we hauled the boat out of the water up into the storage area, de-rigged it, and then lifted it off the trailer and onto a couple of carpet rolls. They then put that borrowed trailer back in the lot where they found it. Dunno what they are going to do next week when it is time to put it in the water again.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

It's a Capri 14.2. It has a regular sail plan (main sail and jib) which is why the club uses them for teaching on the little lake in town. The instructors (who are all volunteers) all bitch about how crappy and slow they are, but I'm not used to their J-boats or whatever, so I think they are fun.

The trailers are seriously crap, it's pretty surprising anyone would want it. The tires are dry-rotted from sitting out in the AZ sun, and the trailer itself is a flimsy thing with basically two boards cut in a V shape with carpeting on them. They are crappy enough that you can't get on the boats while they are on they trailers, they are literally just a way to get the boats out of the water and into the storage yard.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

It was my 2nd lesson actually. This time we got wet (did capsize drills) and it was very windy (for Tempe Town Lake) with 15-20 and higher gusts. A couple boats went over not on purpose. I am having a lot of fun, even if the instructors think these boats suck, then again, our instructor has a J-24 he races, and also crews on other race boats on the coast.

My first lesson I got a multi-time club racing series champion as my instructor, and this time I got the commodore of the Arizona Yacht Club as my instructor. Both of them were hyper competitive and were really on top of us about boat and sail trim. I think I could have done a lot worse, as most of the other boats were a lot 'sloppier' than we were both times.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SuperDucky posted:

Good sailing advice. Racing makes you a much better sailor. More attentive to rules/regs and your trim/speed.

I will probably try to get on as crew (the club has a crew list they maintain) at least some, but I'm not sure I want to do it enough to be a regular, but we'll see, I might decide I can't get enough of it!

Things are incredibly busy for me right now, so at least until mid-November, just making it to the every other week lessons is about all I can fit into my schedule.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I am surprised that those helicopters are powerful enough to take off with the rescue swimmer's gigantic balls.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Scrapez posted:

Agreed. That guy is god drat insane. The bad part is that if they're trying so hard to land him on the vessel, it means that there were still crew aboard. Hope they made it out alright. I have no idea how you get them off of there except to wait until the seas calm and then extract them.

There was something under that video, either a link to an article or something, but it said that all 12 crew members were safely evacuated by helicopter, one at a time, with only one crew member suffering a minor cut. So yea.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Kenshin posted:

I skippered another charter trip with friends last week, this time out of La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico.

197(6?) 41' Morgan "Out Island" ketch, through SeaScape charters, named after this, their largest sailboat, s/v SeaScape.

My first time sailing a ketch. The mizzen makes the boat much easier to balance, to the point where I had it pretty balanced in rough upwind sailing and the lack of autopilot wasn't a big issue.

That's a very pretty boat.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Kenshin posted:

Anybody else have experience in the "buying a sailboat you have to get a mortgage for" arena?

I'd really love to, but that whole money thing keeps getting in the way of retiring onto a sailboat and sailing around the world. I settle for making little tiny sailboats in my house instead.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Popete posted:

Wow, that is incredible. Do you buy kits or make the models yourself? Either way that is beautifully detailed and painted. I have a kit I got a few years back that I have been very slowly painting and assembling but nothing even close to that.

It's a kit, but pretty heavily bashed with a lot of parts and wood replacement. Somewhere around 1000-1100 hours estimated over 13 months to build.

If you are interested enough to waste a ton of time, I kept a full build log here - http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8085-armed-virginia-sloop-by-gunthermt-model-shipways-scale-148/

You may have to register to see the embedded photo's, but it's free and a spam free site (owned/run by the non-profit Nautical Research Guild).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

jhcain posted:

Ok, now I actually want a mega yacht.

Who doesn't want a mega yacht? I just don't want to *pay* for a mega yacht, although if I had enough money to actually consider owning one, I probably wouldn't care.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Have you guys ever been on an actual sub? They are so full of crap, that even though the pressure hull measurements might make you think they are decent sized, in reality, they are cramped and tiny inside (subs of that era anyway).

If you are ever in San Diego, go to the Maritime Museum and for the $16 entry fee you can tour a Russian boat from the cold war era, and as US boat, the USS Dolphin, that was used for various experimental purposes. They are both just crammed full of equipment, and I am not sure how much of it could realistically be removed. It's really quite amazing how such a huge vessel can feel so small inside.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The closest one I can find that actually shows cost to charter is the much smaller "Taruma". Small being relative of course at 383' and 8343 tons.

It costs 630,000 Euro's per week. Plus expenses. Haha...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Neslepaks posted:

Just got home from vacation, 15 days at sea. Slowly crawling around the Oslofjord and Vestfold coast. Hope everyone else is having a suitably salty summer. Couple of random pics.

Leaving Åsgårdstrand.

Approaching Drøbak, Oscarsborg fortress in centre of pic

Beautiful. Hopefully I'll be able to take some long holidays like that before I'm too old to appreciate it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

That's not a boat you would really take far offshore, and it has an outboard, so not a huge deal if your rotary fails (unless it grenades and sinks the boat). It's not like someone would try to cross the Pacific on a boat like this.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

boxen posted:

If there's someone who wants to buy a sixty year old dump truck on the other side of the country, swap a new motor in it and drive it home, there's someone who wants to cross the Pacific in a rotary-engined speedboat.

Fair point.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

And would standard cooling from seawater be enough, or would it need some form of supplemental cooling?

How would you get supplemental cooling that could possibly cool better than the ability to suck in as much cool water as you possibly want that will never get any hotter from your engine running?

Boats simply should never have a 'heat' issue, due to the unlimited availability of cooling water. It's like having the ultimate radiator that always delivers 70 degree (or whatever the water temperature is) water to the engine no matter what the conditions are. The only reasons I can think of for overheating in a boat would be a pump failure or extremely poor water jacket / cooling design.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Negromancer posted:

Or bouncing your boat of the bottom cracking the keel cooler. Hard to keep the motor cool if the part that is supposed to hold sea water can no longer hold water. Luckily that incident only put one of the 2 generators out of service and both mains were unaffected. I know a good number of salt water boats pump fresh water through their engines and then use sea water to cool the engine water.

Still a hugely better cooling system than air to water radiator. But yea, breaking your cooling parts is always a good way to have heating (or sinking) issues.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Captain Postal posted:

Ahem.

These bad-boys have a nuclear meltdown if they leave the arctic ocean as the water at the equator is too warm and overheats the cooling system.

It's a bit of a fringe case to your point though

Probably a good idea not to take your nuclear powered ice-breaker out of the environment for which it was specifically designed without any margin for safety then I suppose!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I just need to win the Powerball so I can ignore the fact that wooden boats are even more of a money-pit than other boats, and buy this. http://schoonerdauntless.com/index.html

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So the music here is pretty terrible, but the footage is pretty great..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olFNIqe9ylA

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Crossposting from the Youtube thread. Things I didn't think boats could (or should) do...

It gets better as it goes along.

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVr2Ptz4SvE

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rime posted:

Friend just finished restoring this to open an eco-tour business. She's a beauty:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQPROM3BWN6/

Yea, that's pretty.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

My father had electric brakes on his boat trailer that we used for years when I was a kid, and there were never any problems with it. Maybe if you are launching in salt water it might be a problem, but for fresh water I don't think there is much to worry about as long as things are properly maintained, or at least I don't remember any issues for the many years that we hauled the boats around.

Later on we changed boats and the trailer on the new boat had surge brakes, and I remember my dad hated them with a passion after having the electric brakes for so long.

My car trailer had electrics and you are right, the ability to apply the trailer brakes independent of the tow vehicle is really great for stabilizing things if the trailer decides to get a bit squirrely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Good luck, sounds like quite a life changing time!