Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
Is this the right thread to ask about fixing up an old plywood mirror dinghy? It's been sat in a dry garage for almost 20 years but before that got left outside for a winter and filled with water, which caused the trailer supports to push up into the bottom of the hull a bit. The upper mast has also split a bit along what looks like a glue line. Other than that the sails are all in good condition, the lines feel solid and nothing sounds rotten when I tap it.

I think at the very least I need to strip the hull paint and varnish off so I can actually check the underlying wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Hot take: get some El cheapo white latex paint from the "returns" shelf at your local megastore to patch up the largest scratches and take it to the local lake and go row it 500 ft away from shore and back again and see if it leaks more than 5 gallons of water (see thread title) and from where

Patch up any leaks you can see daylight though. If that all works, work on getting it sailing again. Probably if the wood passes the tap test, it's totally fine.

If you actually sail it once or twice, your willpower to actually strip and repaint the boat to a satisfactory degree will be a lot higher

Sniff around the local marina there might be an aluminum mast waiting for you. I'd focus on getting it rowing, then sailing, then take on grueling tasks like sanding very last

I'm fairly sure there are no proper leaks because it got left outside last week while we were doing some work in the shed and I had to bail an entire boatful of rainwater out after.
The other problem is I currently have no way of getting it to water. The Skoda in the background doesn't have a tow hook and getting one fitted is more than I can really justify spending right now, and my other car is electric and not rated for towing at all. So stripping paint is easier than begging friends or family to tow me to a lake.