Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Karma Comedian posted:

In places with currents and tides your ground tackle is hugely important. People spend a bunch of time, money, thought, worry, and effort into effectively anchoring in a spot where the anchor will grab, the bottom will hold, and in such a way that the boat won't drag anchor and end up elsewhere. For us, hearing (for example - and no shade I'm sure the box anchor is great) "just toss this box in the water you don't even need chain" is a foreign concept.

I did a four day sailing course on Lake Ontario last summer and the materials, final test, and on-the-lake work all had lots of stuff about anchors and anchor theory. Also, having anchored for a couple hours outside a popular local nude beach and watched countless incidents of sheer buffoonery from the rented yacht/motorboat crew there, I wish that sort of education was forced on everyone taking a boat out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

I've got my boat license. From one of those places that said "don't pass? Don't pay!!!" Probably got it at the sportsman show in Toronto. I plan on taking *some* kind of legit boating safety type course because I'd really like to try and not be "that guy".

Re: anchor chat, Looks like I should get a few cinder blocks and some steel cable and troll some boat forums about my discovering that one weird trick that big anchor doesn't want you to know?

I got my basic boating license through the Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons. Probably took five hours or so? Online modules with quizzes after each and then the PCOC exam right after. Then I did my small keelboat course through NauticEd, and my practical course through one of their affiliated schools in Port Credit. Honestly, even if you never want to sail, it's probably worth doing at least some sort of online or other learning if only to get better at navigation, right-of-way rules, lighting regs, tides/currents, etc.

Also practicing man overboard drills on a sailboat is good fun.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

Went out for a short jaunt to port credit Ontario today. I wanted to take a look at the Ridgetown. It was purposely sank as a break water back in the...... Early 70s(?) Or so. Though it hasn't been used for decades, this former lake freighter is one of the oldest surviving hulls still on the great lakes.

I'm not really a picture taking kind of guy, but there are plenty of it online. Sorry goons.

That's my neck of the woods and I sailed out of that marina last summer. That ship gets COVERED in birds and bird poo poo - just an unbelievable amount of poo poo - and the smell that comes with it is impressive. And yeah, that was clearly filmed out of season because we're only on the water April-October and it's completely packed otherwise.

quote:

On the way back we (went with a dude from work) saw something floating in the water. Turned around and went back to investigate further. It was a pill bottle. It wasn't waterproof, so the contents were somewhat wet, but I opened it up and there was this white powdery looking stuff in there. Some of it was a bit clumped up, but there was a bunch of it stuck to the I side of the bottle, and had obviously been powder ta some point.

I smelled it and it kinda smelled a bit like beer. Weird. Did someone uhhhh, lose their stash?

Obviously it could be anything, but is it a sour, chemically smell? My first thought is that you've probably found some heroin my man. I haven't seen any in a pill bottle but weirder things have happened.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
How terrible an idea is it to buy my first boat on the wrong lake and do a 5 day sail to get it home? This would be Lake Huron -> Lake Ontario. I might be able to get a friend to help out.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

enki42 posted:

This seems like a terrible, terrible idea, unless you're very experienced with sailing (experienced enough that you wouldn't need to ask this question)

5 days feels pretty tight depending on where you are - the welland canal alone is a full day, and I haven't planned it before but lake erie seems like at least a few days even without stopping - and 24 hour sailing as a novice (especially potentially without crew!!) is a bad idea.

For the canal as well, you'll need 3 crew members if you're heading upwards, and your mast stepped to even do it in the first place.

Also, forget anything you read about lake sailing when dealing with the great lakes, they can be very rough, and you can never assume that you are going to have a 5 day weather window that works for you, doubly so if you're not hugging the shore and prepared to stop at a marina and wait out the weather.

Furthermore, if you're just getting this boat, there's almost definitely going to be some surprises to deal with and the worst place to learn about those surprises is on a passage (does your VHF work reliably? Does the boat take on water? Are the sails serviceable? Does your bilge pump work properly? Is all your rigging in good working order? How long can the engine go without issues?)

This is a big enough passage that I would take a couple of weeks preparing for even with my own boat that's a known quantity and in good condition.

The only reason I'm considering it is because there are some cool botes up there and prices are generally better, too. I'd be totally fine with coast-hugging and chilling out in Port Elgin or something if the weather sucks, and can take enough time off this summer to make it happen, even if I have to sail it on Huron for a while to learn its quirks.

That being said, after doing some reading it looks like Welland would be the worst part and maybe enough to dissuade me (though I'm p sure the mast doesn't need to be stepped at any point).

edit: gaze upon the majesty of a proper Canadian boat

CmdrSmirnoff fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 24, 2023

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
I guess I should've clarified, that boat has nothing to do with my post, nor am I seriously looking at it. It's just neat.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Here are a couple of boats that I was looking at more seriously, though. No, I wouldn't buy them sight-unseen or without taking closer looks and surveys where applicable. Yes, there's wide spread of pricing. I'm almost certain to buy something for </=$10k but it's nice to keep options open, especially as there's a possibility of going haflsies with someone.

A Viking 28 for $10k
Pearson Flyer for $10k This one's in Toronto too which is super convenient.
A Viking 34 for $23k
A Tahiti ketch for $40k. Easily my favorite but rather unrealistic.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

enki42 posted:

What are you looking for in a boat? Those smaller ones seem pretty spartan given their size, are you looking to race or cruise primarily?

In the short term just hang out on the Great Lakes. I don't have a competitive bone in my body so fleet races (and group cruises) are not my thing, but going fast is fun as hell. I don't need superior luxury or anything, just somewhere soft to sit and sleep.

My long term goal is to go trans-Atlantic to visit home on the Baltic and vacation in the Med in 10-15 years, but I can get a boat for that when the time comes.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Thoughts on a Bayfield 29 as a first boat? I'm pretty sure I've read every written word that exists online but always appreciate goonpinions. Seems like a perfectly stable and unremarkable lil' ship.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Some outings with friends who sail and a four day ASA 101/103-equivalent course on a Catalina 27. Plus other education here and there (Canadian PCOC course, ROC(M) course). So...not a lot! But I'm dedicated and generally know what I'm doing.

I've also wondered about the cutter being appropriate, but despite the extra lines hanging around it offers a nice advantage in not having to gently caress around with different foresails to deal with changing conditions, which is a nice plus when sailing solo/with a wife.

CmdrSmirnoff fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 9, 2023

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Trailering isn't a thing for me since I don't have a driveway, but saving some ducats on mooring and wintering is always welcome.

quote:

What kinds of trips do you want to do on it, first year, second year, dream/stretch trip?

First year or two just trips around Lake Ontario, eventually as far as Niagara and Kingston. Maybe dipping into Erie. Taking friends and family for a day sail and maybe a game of D&D. In a decade I'd get a different boat for ocean stuff (that the wife won't be joining me for so I wanna get good at soloing). It's gotta be comfortable enough to nap in/on, at least.

I have nothing against smaller boats but everything that catches my eye at a decent price point has been in the 30ish range and built in the 70s/early 80s.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
As I slowly get ready to buy my first boat (a bunch of posts about it elsewhere in the thread), while I've got the sailing part down fine I don't really know the logistics of taking possession of one. So some super basic questions:

- I'll need to get insurance. How bad and long is the process for this? All the boats I'm looking at are like pre-1981. Is that a huge issue? Will every insurance company demand a survey be done?
- Gotta get mooring. Does this normally take a long time or, assuming the marina has room, is it some paperwork and I can pull up the next day?
- no need to register in Ontario for the size of boat I'll get, so no issue there. But does that mean I can just give the dude cash and sail away assuming the other stuff is ready to go? Or is there something like a UVIP (used vehicle information package) that has to be done?
- I'll need winter storage. Lots of boats come with trailers and cradles and that stuff. I can't trailer. Do I need a cradle? Or is that the sort of thing that's included by the storage facility?

I know what i need to meet boat equipment requirements (lights, lifesaving, bailing, etc etc), but I'm sure there's other basic logistical poo poo I'm missing. Like, I don't even know the order that the above should be done in.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Thanks for the good advice y'all, I'm in the process of sweet-talking the nice old lady working a nearby town's marinas (the one I live in is being run into the ground and I don't have much faith in it) to get a good spot on the waitlist. As expected, I can't get a slip until I have the boat, so that's gonna throw a wrench into things, but it's not insurmountable.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

I know approximately where you're located, so I don't know if you want to drive all the way to Stoney Creek, but Newport Yacht Club has slips available.
https://newport-ycsc.com/membership/

Going that direction is kind of a pain in the dick in the afternoon on the QEW, and the Eastport bridge has lane reductions for a few months. And the next several weeks, the Skyway going in that direction is also going to be closed Saturday nights. Mornings traffic is usually good though unless theres an accident.

Oakville is closer to me and they have slips available too. Now it's just been an adventure finding the right boat. One that I really like hasn't had a survey done in forever, which the insurance company obviously didn't like, and the seller said I can do one after buying it. Not exactly a good sales pitch.

There's a couple of very affordable smallish boats that would be great for learning on but they're really biased towards racing and I really do want things like standing headroom. I might not get one until the off-season.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Do boat sales go the way of motorcycle sales in the winter and you can get a great deal? There's some decent lil boats that include a slip for the 6 weeks of sailing left but if I can get something better in the offseason I'd probably just do that

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
I was helping a friend get his boat out of the water and took a stroll through the harbour after. Ran into this beautiful little guy, and after some sleuthing it turns out it's Friendship Sloop #242 - the oldest registered sailboat in Canada. A youthful 121 years old. I'm very jealous.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Port Credit Yacht Club, which is technically not in Port Credit (which I learned only after going to the Port Credit marina and not being able to find the drat boat).

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
On a scale of 1 to Oceangate how bad an idea is it to get a well-kept 1960s wooden sailboat for typical great lakes sailing season usage? I don't have any experience maintaining wooden boats but can find time to do my own upkeep and can buy some books to figure things out gradually. Recent survey is positive. I've seen a bunch of plastic boats lately but none have pulled at my heartstrings like this one.

Post history tldr is that this would be my first owned boat but I have sailing experience.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
After seeing a whole bunch of boats over the off-season, including a supremely charming wooden one that you all helped convince me not to get, I bought a fifty year old Grampian 30. The cost was super reasonable (6k Canadian) for what's basically turnkey with no major projects to do.

Which is good, because it's about 115nm away as the crow flies. At least it's the right lake. It'll be a neat first long sail that I'm recruiting a friend to help with.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

TheFluff posted:

Congrats! How long is the route home as the boat sails? I've done 100 NM ish in a weekend with overnight stops and it's certainly doable (motoring at 6 knots and change almost the entire way), but not that much fun. With a totally unfamiliar boat though it's always best to count on everything taking twice as long as it should.

We'll need to see some pictures too, I think.

I've been running some possibilities and it's about 120-155. There's a shorter route that takes you through a long canal, but it requires motoring and sharing space with others and narrow channels which is just :effort:
The long way round dumps me in the middle of Lake Ontario and allows me to make a straight shot in open water. With a good wind it should be doable without any stops in a full day. If the weather refuses to cooperate we'll likely stay safe and motor through the canal route, maybe making some stops along the way.

wesleywillis posted:

If you don't have it, this book should be useful

https://www.portsbooks.com/lake-ontario-edition/

I got my copy at fogh marine in Port credit

I have this on my shopping list and will be swinging by Fogh soon.

Any other must-have books, I'm all ears. It's a Volvo Penta MD2B so I'm about to become a part-time diesel mechanic. Conveniently they have the manual on their site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

Don't know any other books offhand bit I'm still new at this boating poo poo.

Which canal ? Welland?

(You mentioned a straight shot across the lake)

Murray. It links the eastern end of Prince Edward County (well, Trenton and Belleville anyway) to Presqu'ile Bay.

Here's my new girl, the SV Habeas Porpoise. I've got a list of short-term jobs to do and #1 is gonna be to get some proper instrumentation, because the only thing on it is a...depth/fishfinder. What the hell. Also I hate dodgers so that's gotta go.

You might notice the bowsprit and forestay. There's basically no info about the cutter rig for this boat online besides one low-quality diagram. That diagram suggests the inner stay goes up the mast partway and the outer connects at the top. This one has both meeting at the top. The inner is set up with furling and this was never actually used as a cutter, but my ultimate goal is to get it working because cutters are a top-tier rig.