Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
The most fun and fear I ever had on water was in one of these dinghies in an autumn gale (except it had a carbon fiber mast but no foresail)

I had managed to stay upright by luffing, spilling my wind and tacking upwind until the only option to get home was a run straight downwind through a narrow passage with land on both sides. Once the centerboard was up the thing was planing like a surfboard, which was lucky for me or else I'd flipped forwards or lost the rigging. I still to this day don't understand how I managed to pull off the two jibes needed to reach the dock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

SuperDucky posted:

What is that thing? Looks like an Opti and a Thistle had offspring

Their website is swedish only but maybe chrome's translate function or similar might make it at least semi-readable: http://www.kronaboats.com/
(it's the small one, "1-kronan")

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Old Balls McGee posted:

I've forgotten how much the bow will rise on these little boats will rise at wot (lol, 8 hp at the prop) when there's almost no weight to put to the front. I could move the trim pin a little, but it's not like it was a problem.

Planing that boat with that motor when alone should be possible (barely) with the right prop at the right angle. Riding around with the bow in the air sucks, it's slow and inefficient. When I had a similar boat with a 4hp tohatsu 4-stroke (nice motor) that wasn't even close to planing I used a "speed stick" when alone - just a PVC tube that slipped over the tiller (?) attached to a wooden handle of suitable length. That allowed me to sit on the middle bench while operating steering and throttle. This brought the bow down and about doubled the speed at WOT. Sketchy in rough seas obviously, but fine for cruising in calm waters.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I have a stupid boat question: since outboards are super easy to raise completely out of the water, why do the vast majority leave them in when the boat is not in use? Not a boat owner (borrowed kayaks don't count) but I would think you want your expensive metal parts to spend as little time in sea water as possible?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
This sweet drone footage popped up in my youtube recommends and I thought it was pretty amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrBgGBHv1rk

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
The most insane ocean sail race IMO is the Jules Verne trophy. The rules are to start in the English Channel, sail to the tip of Africa and turn left, round Antarctica and return to the Channel again as fast as possible.

This is the current record holding boat at just under 41 days in 2016. It's not a foiler, "just" a huge wave piercing trimaran. The last three attempts have all ended with rudder failures. It will be interesting to see what foiling boats can do about that record in the future though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Sailing replicas are neat.
I spent a few weeks one magical summer in my late teens sailing on this thing:

She was built in the 1990īs as a replica of a galeas cargo vessel drawn in the mid 1700's by a designer of some renown. These boats were mass produced in the northern baltic out of local materials, i.e. not oak, so they didn't last long. They were loaded up with lumber and tar and other local goods and sailed down to southern Europe, often one way as floating disposable packaging for the cargo, more or less. The replica only lasted about a decade before being to rotted to keep maintaining - I guess building out of pine and spruce will do that. Anyways, she was pretty awesome in her prime. The cargo hold was all modern with diesel engines and flushing toilets, bunk beds, long tables, a big galley and what have you. The cabin and everything above deck save some modern safety stuff was all replica - hemp rigging and sails, a moose hide rope running from the wheel to the tiller and so on. I learned so much in those weeks, including just how easily I get seasick which is the main reason I don't have boats in my life.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 4, 2024