Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YourHealthyColon
Nov 21, 2013
I'm on chapter 3 and I'm getting really tired of throwing chickenshit redshirt characters at endless hordes of

lvl 1-10 is always the worst part of RPGs so why are they making me do this multiple times in a row? Do I have anything to look forward to or should I just move on to DQ5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

YourHealthyColon posted:

I'm on chapter 3 and I'm getting really tired of throwing chickenshit redshirt characters at endless hordes of

lvl 1-10 is always the worst part of RPGs so why are they making me do this multiple times in a row? Do I have anything to look forward to or should I just move on to DQ5

Shut the gently caress up

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

It's the best 2d DQ game & if you don't like it you have retard AIDS.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, it's right behind 8 IMO, and if you can't enjoy the awesome chapter element to it (toreneko esp) then you shouldn't be playing the series you giant retard

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

YourHealthyColon posted:

its good from the very start up until the very end OP

YourHealthyColon
Nov 21, 2013
i dont see how it could be the best because its worse than 3 so far but I'll keep at it for a little longer thanks for the replies gents

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

YourHealthyColon posted:

i dont see how it could be the best because its worse than 3 so far but I'll keep at it for a little longer thanks for the replies gents

sorry about your broken brain

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!

Swelter Discharge posted:

its good from the very start up until the very end OP

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
If you're a true gamer it's all good, if you're a basic casual chapter 4

E actually chapter 3 owns

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
even chapter 1 owns, its just a classic DQ tale about a warrior rescuing some kids from a evil wizard and you do the investigation and also finding healie in the well...jesus christ what is your problem OP

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!
This is a good game.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

YourHealthyColon posted:

YourHealthyColon posted:

what on earth.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

go into the well

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Quit and play the far superior 5.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
sorry but you made a fatal mistake by thinking any dragon quest game besides earthbound could be good

if you want a good rpg where you're constantly changing characters/eras play live a live, a game that doesn't have archaic as gently caress gameplay, has an actual plot and doesn't throw tons of grinding at you over and over

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 19, 2014

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

jesus christ

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Blackheart posted:

jesus christ

- me, every time I see the sales of the latest dragon quest game

YourHealthyColon
Nov 21, 2013

zen death robot posted:

What's with the op using lots of goofy icons and poo poo

/

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

darealkooky posted:

sorry but you made a fatal mistake by thinking any dragon quest game besides earthbound could be good

if you want a good rpg where you're constantly changing characters/eras play live a live, a game that doesn't have archaic as gently caress gameplay, has an actual plot and doesn't throw tons of grinding at you over and over

stfu noob

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
actual plot are you for loving real

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
what the gently caress kind of noob plays jrpgs for the plot

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

darealkooky posted:

"I am bad at video games and have bad taste in them"

-darealkooky

Dec 26, 2012

darealkooky posted:

Dec 26, 2012

wait a second

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

give that dumb human being this av

make it the imp zone ice rear end

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Swelter Discharge posted:

give that dumb human being this av

make it the imp zone ice rear end

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Nihnoz posted:

what the gently caress kind of noob plays jrpgs for the plot

lmao you play rpgs for the gameplay

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

The best part of dragon quest is pressing X to attack the same three monsters over and over and over - a huge dumb idiot retard

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

darealkooky posted:

The best part of dragon quest is pressing X to attack the same three monsters over and over and over - a huge dumb idiot retard

dont sign your posts

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

darealkooky posted:

The best part of dragon quest is pressing X to attack the same three monsters drawn by the guy that draws goku over and over and over - a huge dumb idiot retard

the enemies are dangerous enough that you have like a moment to moment risk-reward thing going on. Like when you're low on HP or MP you start having to make really hard choices wrt healing, running, or powering through a fight. Or like, deciding when to escape from a dungeon and go back to town to lick your wounds. The fun of the game comes from limited resources like herbs or HP or MP.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
like Etrian Odyssey is better for that so it's the only good jrpg, but dragon quest is almost good because you have to actually manage resources. Also the story is good.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
like every fuckin jrpg is press X to attack, the interesting gameplay comes from balancing different currencies and from that slot machine buzz of, oh! I got lucky! or oh! I got unlucky. The other part is exploring and environment and DQ gives you a ton of space to get rewarded for exploring.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

live a live has everything you just said + gameplay that has more going on then going through menus and making sure you don't run out of potions before the boss fight

if you want super deep resource based tactical thinking mans rpg combat play a dungeon crawler or something, not dragon quest where all problems are solved by having bigger numbers than the enemies

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

darealkooky posted:

live a live has everything you just said + gameplay that has more going on then going through menus and making sure you don't run out of potions before the boss fight

if you want super deep resource based tactical thinking mans rpg combat play a dungeon crawler or something, not dragon quest where all problems are solved by having bigger numbers than the enemies

thats only true if you grind up dude.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

darealkooky posted:

lol you're bad at rpgs

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
and I'll be the first dude to say I don't like jrpgs. But I do like dragon quest.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

it's hard to judge good/bad at dragon quest when the gameplay is so loving bare bones

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

darealkooky posted:

it's hard to judge good/bad at dragon quest when the gameplay is so loving bare bones

if you think you need to grind then it means youre bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Nihnoz posted:

and I'll be the first dude to say I don't like jrpgs. But I do like dragon quest.

how can you not like jrpgs but like dragon quest, the most "jrpg" jrpg to ever exist

it literally invented the genre (that and japanese made wizardry sequels, but the only difference dragon quest has from one of those is art by the dude that made dragon ball)

Dr Pepper posted:

if you think you need to grind then it means youre bad

i didn't say you need to grind, I said all that matters is your numbers vs the enemy. keep your numbers up and make the enemies numbers go down, make sure you have enough numbers to buy enough potions that you don't run out. that's the gameplay of dragon quest, that and watching cutscenes or walking down endless fields/hallways

• Locked thread