Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Parasol Prophet posted:

Also, I have a question! Does anyone else sometimes have dreams where you're not actually in them, but... I guess it's sort of like watching a movie? I'm having more and more of those lately, it's pretty interesting actually. Sometimes I wind up taking the place of one of the characters, sometimes I just root for the 'protagonist' and then get disappointed when I wake up before finding out how it ends.

For some reason there was a period of about a year, ending about a year ago, where all my dreams were like that, it was pretty strange.

Lately all my dreams have been the old "finding out halfway through the semester that you are registered for a class you didn't know about" classic that make me freak out for a while after waking up.

Probably the one I remember most vividly is one I had when I was in high school, maybe 14 or 15. Me and a buddy (who wasn't anybody I actually knew but in the dream we were best friends) were dressed and equipped like World War 1 soldiers, though not in any particular country's uniform, and were standing around smoking and chatting in a snowy cemetery, when suddenly a machine gun fires off in the distance, killing my friend immediately. So I'm freaking out, my friend's dead, bullets are whipping past my head, kicking up dirt and shattering tombstones, I'm trying to fire back with my rifle but the MG nest is so far away that I can barely even see it, much less shoot the gunner. So, after what felt like an hour of madly scrambling towards cover and hoping not to get shot, I end up making my way to the nest. Having apparently lost my rifle earlier, I grip my trench shovel (is that even a thing WWI soldiers had? Idk), hurl myself into the nest and collide with the gunner, sending us both sprawling to the ground, but I get up first. I've got the shovel over my head raised over my head when I realize the gunner is a young woman about my age, which causes a brief flash of guilt before adrenalin and rage about my dead friend take back over and I bring the shovel down, killing her instantly. I then immediately collapse next to her corpse, worn out by all the adrenalin, anger and grief of my comrade's death and the run towards the gun, and the sorrow I felt for killing her. I just kind of lay there a while, feeling all this, until I wake up.

It may not sound like much written down, but while actually dreaming it, every emotion I felt, from seeing my friend die to being terrified of getting killed myself to the sorrow for killing the gunner all just felt completely real. I've never had a dream like that before, usually any emotions I feel in a dream are muted and don't last upon waking but this one shook me for the rest of the day.

Punished Chuck has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread