Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Copyleft

After a timequake, the TARDIS lands in an infinitely long hallway full of doors. The Doctor and Clara find that each door contains nearly-identical copies of seemingly random objects--a room full of cars, a room full of treadmills, etc. They find one room full of phone boxes that look exactly like the TARDIS; the Doctor's inspection reveals that they are accurate reproductions down to the machinery level, but none of them work. As it turns out, they are between time, and this place is like the NSA of time. Just like how the NSA can read letters and make copies before forwarding them on to the recipients, this room contains carbon copies of every time machine ever made as they travelled through time. (living things, including intelligent robots, do not get copied)

i'm not sure where it goes from here but something something other time machines work because they're just machines, which can be easily copied, but the tardis is alive so to make the tardis room work they need to obtain the real tardis matrix for reasons

the episode ends with a preview of the christmas special, which involves the doctor having to infiltrate the tardis to rescue clara and her students, who are being held hostage by hans gruber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The Enigma of Amigara Fault

The Doctor and Clara land in front of a mountain in Japan, and immediately encounter a strange stringy creature. It grasps at them and then dies. The Doctor takes sonic readings and determines that they are in fact, human. Upon crossing to the other side, they find that hundreds if not thousands of people have gathered in front of the person-shaped holes carved in the mountainside. Several people are seen slipping past the guards and entering them, only to emerge out from the other side hideously deformed. After helping Clara stop her students (they hitched a ride) from entering the holes, the Doctor figures out that the mountain contains a long-forgotten spaceship with a malfunctioning large-scale vortex manipulator. Due to the damage it sustained in the crash, it's been warping space all around the mountain, in the shapes of all the beings it has ever transported, past and future. He fixes it, and by applying his sonic to recompute the transportation matrices, is happily also able to rescue all the the people still in the middle of the quantum tunnels. The question of why people were compelled to enter in the first place is never answered.

As they leave, the camera pans over a series of holes that were left on the mountain, each one shaped like an incarnation of the Doctor. After the 13th tunnel, it stops on an indistinctly-shaped 14th hole as a female voice ominously narrates "your hole is still waiting for you, Doctor."

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Doctor Whom
The Doctor and Clara discover that spelling and grammar errors are actually an alien being that spreads itself memetically. Upon taking the time to read the internet for the first time, the Doctor alternates between being disgusted with humans and marveling at them--throwing in a speech about how humans shouldn't build a technology whose possibilities they don't fully understand. In the end the day is saved by a child who is mysteriously immune to the alien--it turns out he's illiterate, and the Doctor gives his parents a stern lecture about how people are never illiterate for a reason and this was evolution's defense mechanism against the aliens.

Fear Itself
In Stephen Moffat's farewell episode, the Doctor and Clara find out that every childhood fear that Moffat hasn't tackled yet, including but not limited to clowns, mirrors, and strangers, are actually aliens/prisons for aliens/related to aliens in some manner. Children creepily sing a mash-up of every nursery rhyme that hasn't been used yet, as all of the monsters--by pure happenstance--decide to attack at the same time. Surrounded by all the creatures--each one repeatedly chanting an innocuous catchphrase (eg: "hyuk hyuk", "let me in", "hello there"), the Doctor drives them all away by simply reminding them that he's the Doctor and using the sonic screwdriver on something. Alex Kingston (River Song) guest stars.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The Hundred Doctors

For the show's 100th anniversary (and final year of the 23rd doctor), the Doctor and his young female companion are caught in a time storm and come face to face with 99 TARDISes. The pilots turn out to be all the possible 24th Doctors (and 99 copies of the companion, some of whom inexplicably have different personalities from each other), ranging from relatively unknown actors to lookalikes/soundalikes of classic Doctors such as Peter Capaldi (since we now know that he can regenerate into old faces). This event takes place over a whole season, and potential future Doctors are eliminated Survivor-style. The 24th Doctor is eventually picked out, and is yet again a caucasian male, although for a brief moment in episode 5 of the season we glimpse a female Doctor, who only shows up so that the Doctor has a chance to explain to his companion that it's entirely possible for him to regenerate into a female.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

quote:

Wholocaust

let me try this one

The Doctor and Clara land in World War II Germany. Clara had asked him if she could punch Hitler, and he acceded to her request, knowing from experience that this would cause no paradoxes. However, when they get there, they find Hitler fighting passionately to save everyone from the concentration camps. Clara is confused by this and punches out Hitler. When Hitler comes to, he tells the Doctor that the gas chambers were only meant to disable the abilities of shape-shifting alien invaders--he never meant to kill anyone! The Doctor manages to successfully weed out the aliens and send them back to their home planets. However, knowing that this is a major fixed point in time, the Doctor mournfully tells Hitler that he must gas the Jews to keep time intact, explaining why time cannot be rewritten in this case. Hitler reluctantly gives the order, and muses wistfully that all of humankind will remember him as a monster, but the Doctor replies that he and Clara will always know the truth. Clara apologizes to Hitler for punching him, and is angry with the Doctor for allowing Auschwitz to happen.

Depending on whether or not there's enough time left in the episode, the Doctor may or may not find a way to save all the Jews by teleporting all of them to a parallel dimension and replacing their bodies with non-sentient doubles.

Who Shot Mr. Burns?

Remedial Chaos Theory

My Screw-up

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Stare

Clara calls upon the Doctor for help when people start mysteriously dying at Coal Hill Elementary. The deaths are marked by an onset of paranoia, where the victims all start insisting that they're being watched. Eventually, the Doctor discovers the culprit--the Pareidolion, a creature that manifests anywhere that a living being can perceive a face, such as the headlights/bumper of a car, or an electric socket on a wall, but not actual faces because they are Pauli-excluded (two beings can't coexist in the same face). If the Weeping Angels have the most perfect defense system ever, this creature has the most perfect offensive system ever, because almost all living beings have facial perception hardwired into their brains. In the end, the day is saved by a young student of Clara's who was always thought of as an outcast due to her prosopagnosia. However, a rift grows between Clara and the Doctor when she learns that the Pareidolion had arrived by latching on to the TARDIS the last time it took a shortcut to Coal Hill through Conceptual Space. Will things ever be the same between them... ?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Kazy posted:

The Dalek of the Daleks

The Doctor and his companion land in a village being terrorized by Daleks. However, they find out that the Daleks are only attacking because they themselves are being terrorized into leaving their home base. The Doctor wonders "what could frighten the Daleks so horribly? If the Daleks are the things that bring death to everything else, what is the Dalek of the Daleks?"

MASSIVE MASSIVE SERIES-RUINING SPOILERS FOLLOW It's the Doctor. It was the Doctor all along. The Doctor is the Dalek of the Daleks. The Daleks die telling him "It is you, Dok-tor. It was you all along. You are the Dalek of the Daleks."

Trailer for next week: The Doctor of the Daleks
  • Doctor and companion running
  • Voiceover by Nicholas Briggs: "BOW. TIES. ARE. COOL. WOULD. YOU. CARE. FOR. SOME. JELLY. BABIES."
  • Quick glimpse of a Dalek whose arm has been replaced with a sonic screwdriver

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

horriblePencilist posted:

Return Of The Marmelademen

In Russell P. Davies' triumphant return to running Doctor Who, the Doctor finds himself face to face with the Marmalade Men, an alien species that infects, hatches from, and takes the appearance of fruits. They look a bit like the Annoying Orange and the companion at one point directly calls one of them that as an insult. The Doctor notes that these creatures have developed the perfect strategy to invade earth, because fruits are found EVERYWHERE on the planet, and furthermore, it's 71% water, which can only help them grow. Following some action sequences, the Doctor is able to burn down the Marmalade Men's mother tree. Without their central hub, the hivemind collapses, turning the ones left standing into harmless fruit preserve, which solves the nearby town's famine problem.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Applewhite posted:

My Dr Who synopses are gonna be further delayed because wife is having baby (this is the part where there is gently caress-all for the dad to do for six hours besides get ice chips). Wife is really enjoying these last few batches tho (reading them out loud to keep her spirits up).

In the season's Doctor-lite episode, Applejack must attend to his wife as she gives birth. However, things start to get complicated when he realizes that the hospital is the center of a massive--and expanding--time dilation--every hour spent in the hospital is a whole day in the outside world. He now has to balance caring for his wife with trying to solve the mystery before the entire world gets swallowed up by a black hole. With the help of a new friend, he discovers that there are no records of the hospital's construction. As it turns out, the entire hospital is actually the malfunctioning remnant of an ancient time machine called a TARDIS. He journeys with his friend to the center of the TARDIS to fix its core, but he pays a steep price--his mission complete, he discovers that 18 years have gone by in the outside world. Fortunately, his new friend tells him she knows someone who can get him back before he even left, but not before he catches a glimpse of his child's future--the kid turns out pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

horriblePencilist posted:

Could I get an example for the actual episodes that justify Peter's childhood fears? I wanna see with my own eyes how similar they are to this thread.

There's an episode where it turns out that the monster they were hunting the whole ep didn't exist and the Doctor is literally just afraid of the dark.

• Locked thread