Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
felid gladiator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Ratpick posted:

I've been playing Crypt of the Necrodancer a lot lately, not sure if it counts as a real roguelike or not but it's cool and fun.

I also just reinstalled Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup after not having played it for ages, what's a fun race/class combo?

crypt of the necrodancer is probably a roguelike. I picked it up a month or two back but still haven't gotten around to playing it; waiting for it to come out of early access, I guess.

the standard new player trinity is gargoyle berserker, deep elf fire elementalist, spriggan enchanter - all of those are quite strong and fairly simple to play, esp. the berserker. other combos I could suggest include merfolk gladiator, tengu summoner, mummy skald, and centaur hunter. just mess around, see what seems fun.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

other combos I could suggest include merfolk gladiator, tengu summoner, mummy skald, and centaur hunter. just mess around, see what seems fun.

Don't play mummies

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Ratpick posted:

I also just reinstalled Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup after not having played it for ages, what's a fun race/class combo?

I've been splatting a lot of Demonspawn Chaos Knights lately. It's an entertaining combo, just don't expect to live for long.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

I am Otis posted:

I don't really like pixel dungeon but it's a good popular free

Yeah that's what one of the few phone roguelikes I've played. It was solid but didn't hold my attention for long. Will dl Hoplite and 868 when I get home.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

I thought Crypt of the Necrodancer was really fresh and cool for about 24 hours but there aren't enough different kinds of enemies/levels -- there's a surprisingly small number of ways to actually solve most situations if you're just trying to survive/win, and a pretty exact recipe if you're trying to maximize your score. It's lovely of me to say when it's still in early access, but looking at the dev notes for what's planned doesn't excite me and it'll probably be a better game after an expansion pack or something (and at this rate, that'll be in 2017 or something)

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

crypt of the necrodancer is probably a roguelike. I picked it up a month or two back but still haven't gotten around to playing it; waiting for it to come out of early access, I guess.

the standard new player trinity is gargoyle berserker, deep elf fire elementalist, spriggan enchanter - all of those are quite strong and fairly simple to play, esp. the berserker. other combos I could suggest include merfolk gladiator, tengu summoner, mummy skald, and centaur hunter. just mess around, see what seems fun.

why does everyone recommend berserkers as a beginner class? fighter is simpler, starts with better equipment, doesn't tie you down to one god, lets you branch into spellcasting if you want, and doesn't rely on an ability that can kill you if used at the wrong time.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Parallax Scroll posted:

why does everyone recommend berserkers as a beginner class? fighter is simpler, starts with better equipment, doesn't tie you down to one god, lets you branch into spellcasting if you want, and doesn't rely on an ability that can kill you if used at the wrong time.

Spellcasting is harder at a basic level, especially if you want to go into heavy armour spellcasting. TrBe/GrBe or whatever can run at things and do decently for the first couple of levels.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Parallax Scroll posted:

I think the idea is to discourage the basic new player instinct to play fighter, since it is literally the first class and something you might reasonably expect to be very strong. (it's okay these days, but berserker is much stronger.)

also, as elyv was saying, berserkers simplify the game considerably: no god choice, no spellcasting... simple as h*ck, basically.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Also trog is the coolest god. who doesn't want an endless supply of angry drunken bros to crash whatever party you like? (I assume brothers in arms still exists but i haven't played since 0.9)

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
Be gives you something fun to do right from the start rather than just run into mans until you make them dead. Since new players are gonna be dyin a lot early, having some kinda flavor from the get go's important.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

what weirdo doesnt like running into mans

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

andrew smash posted:

Also trog is the coolest god. who doesn't want an endless supply of angry drunken bros to crash whatever party you like? (I assume brothers in arms still exists but i haven't played since 0.9)

try the new races imo

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
octopode death knight owns, except i didnt find any rings. rip

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Tried out DCSS with Gargoyle Berserker, seems fun so far, I'll probably try out some other less simple races/classes soon.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Be a chaos knight

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I've splatted something like 20 Gargoyle Earth Elementalists and Wizards, and I'm going back for #21...

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
back in the last tourney i played in troll transmuter was a hidden gem, me and a couple other dudes won them that time around (they were fun as hell but i wouldn't say easy, exactly) and then transmuters got their potion bombs taken away :(

Dec 26, 2012

rip distillation/evaporate, too fun to live

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Caves of Qud is pretty bad.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Thug Lessons posted:

Caves of Qud is pretty bad.

Get the gently caress OUT

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Don't even try that poo poo with me n00b. Fail game.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

01011001 posted:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

01011001 posted:

*pours out a forty, inhales, trips balls*

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Tried Angband again because I read in here it got updated sometime in the last century. Still terrible. Here, in 6 characters is why Angband is terrible:
code:
l r w F , Z
Going to try Omega again because I have crazy memories of barely understanding it when I was a kid.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

Man, gently caress snakes in all roguelikes. Black Mambas murdered the poo poo out of me in DCSS, still, I did much better this time around, so hopefully I'm actually getting better.

Btw, is it me or is crafting in Dungeons of Dredmor a huge mess?

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial

A Meat posted:

yes

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

i won a game of dredmor as a melee dude and it was insanely boring and i never played it again

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Is there a roguelike with crazy kung fu action and explosions?

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

A Meat posted:

Everything in Dungeons of Dredmor is a mess, and bad

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

Glad to know I'm not the only one who really didn't like DoD. I actually really like the soundtrack, and I think some of the spritework is pretty nice, but the few times I tried it it was either really boring and repetitive or just way too overcomplicated and unwieldy. I think some of the core concepts could lead to a really good roguelike, but DoD isn't it.

Golden Goat posted:

ToME kind of does, Brawlers are kind of like kung fu dudes who can also explode people via wrestling.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
There's literally no downside to stealing from shops in dredmor and it's super easy so once you figure that out the game is trivial no matter what else you do

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

dredmor seems really slow and boring to me. one of the things I like the most about roguelikes is the speed of gameplay. I know they're turn based but I'm talking about how fast you can move and act when there's no animation involved.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Golden Goat posted:

You can make a Saiyan Ki Warrior in Animeband.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Evil Eagle posted:

dredmor seems really slow and boring to me. one of the things I like the most about roguelikes is the speed of gameplay. I know they're turn based but I'm talking about how fast you can move and act when there's no animation involved.

You can crank up animation speed to very high levels if that's your hangup, still kind of a lovely game though

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

both punching things and exploding things are viable builds in DCSS, if that counts

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I am hype for the Etrian Odyssey Mystery Dungeon game. :D

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I agree with the OP, though probably don't pick nethack in 2014.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I agree with the OP, though probably don't pick nethack in 2014.

UnNethack is actually pretty cool now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

it's kind of weird in retrospect that nethack was basically the default roguelike for so long

• Locked thread