Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

well when you're first and your competition is poo poo like Angband it makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
NetHack owns... it's the only game I know of where you can actually choke on a dick and die.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
what about life

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I'm still breathing... for now

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
gargoyle chaos knight op

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
post your crawl music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdM-wQehgTw :)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Buck Turgidson posted:

NetHack owns... it's the only game I know of where you can actually choke on a dick and die.

It's super cool as a devs-think-of-everything macguyver-esque gamelike toy, but as an actual game that you play like a game and try to win it's not so good.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I started playing doomrl again and it's still really good fun.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

Is there a roguelike with crazy kung fu action and explosions?

Cataclysm DDA lets you play as a shaolin monk with punch daggers who gets combat bonuses when drunk and you can roundhouse kick a triffid in the stamen while throwing molotovs and grenades at things.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
Nethack is good. Very good, in fact. Not a competitive and balanced kind of good like Crawl, or a zomfgexplosions, tactical kind of good like Tome the 4th. Rather, it's more of a quirky, adventure game kind of roguelike that's just fun to pick up and dig for treasure vaults once in a while.

"You hear a rumbling in the distance!"

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

it's not good or fun.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Nethack is awesome. Things like 'a'pply and 'd'ip are quite deep and often have humorous results. I beat it without spoilers in the pre-internet days; it remains perhaps the greatest accomplishment of my life.

Dec 26, 2012

nethack sucks and anyone recommending it in 2014 sucks

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I just played some nethack in over a year and really enjoyed it and thought of you (ascended chaotic orc wizard no wish no polymorph).

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I played a bunch of Nethack on my old sony PSP cus someone ported it and it was way more fun than something like Powder. For playing an old rogue-like on a handheld it was surprisingly doable.

Not that i ever got past the gnomish mines or sokoban

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

code:
You finish putting on the +12 chain mail of a Ziggurat {rElec rC++ MR++}
get on my level

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Roguelikes too long? Roguelites is not an apt term! Try some of these on!

It's pretty sexy

http://www.zincland.com/7drl/liveonce/

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
I beat Hoplite (on android) on my third run. It's really drat good and it appears you can continue descending? I didn't try it since I was at 1hp when I got the fleece. Next time.

E: you only can descend below floor 16 if you buy premium. So eff that.

There's an update for lovely mobile roguelike Pixel Dungeon called Shattered Pixel Dungeon which apparently makes things more random and adds a load of new enemies and items, I guess. It seems indistinguishable from vanilla on my first two runs. Anyone else know if I should even bother? I figure at best it's decent.

Mach2 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 8, 2014

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

code:
You climb downwards. Welcome to the Depths!
Marking area around Roxanne as unsafe for travelling.
Marking area around the obsidian statue as unsafe for travelling.
4 boggarts, an obsidian statue and Roxanne come into view.
wooting irl
update: Margery's band was around the corner. bbl depths 1

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 9, 2014

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
does dungeonmans count? I've been fiddling with it and its good for a larf. reminds me of castle of the winds back in the day

I looked at ADOM for the first time in years and :stare: wtf did biskup do to it

I need to play DCSS but ugh I fuckin hate learning new roguelikes and I just keep putting it off

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Minarchist posted:

I looked at ADOM for the first time in years and :stare: wtf did biskup do to it
Slowly going senile

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Minarchist posted:

he did ADOM is what he did

mostly he's some doddering programmer with no idea how games actually work as stuff like Crawl and DoomRL and so forth fly past him conceptually

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I tried DCSS again and it's actually ... really approachable and good. I don't like how summons can get completely out of control in the late game (I spent more turns in the elven vaults than the rest of the game combined) but that first part is really slick and easy to pick up. It's got that 'surviving is kind of hard but addictive' vibe. Add in mutations, loving around with Xom, and the diversity of dev-created unique vaults, and it's actually really quite good. This is the first roguelike where I prefer the tiles version too.

EDIT-ADOM is one of the worst things the roguelike phenomenon has produced; I'm torn between it and Angband.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Spiders in Brogue can gently caress right off why am I so bad at these games

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Scaramouche posted:

I don't like how summons can get completely out of control in the late game (I spent more turns in the elven vaults than the rest of the game combined)...

In general, you probably want to try to control LOS a little more. Specifically for Elf, if you can find a wand of digging or disintegration, Angband-style anti-summoning corridors work quite well.

code:
x.xx
xx.x
x@xx
xxxx
What kind of character were you playing?

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
Is Elona RPG (not to be confused with Elona shooter) a Rogue?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

I tried DCSS again and it's actually ... really approachable and good. I don't like how summons can get completely out of control in the late game (I spent more turns in the elven vaults than the rest of the game combined) but that first part is really slick and easy to pick up. It's got that 'surviving is kind of hard but addictive' vibe. Add in mutations, loving around with Xom, and the diversity of dev-created unique vaults, and it's actually really quite good. This is the first roguelike where I prefer the tiles version too.

EDIT-ADOM is one of the worst things the roguelike phenomenon has produced; I'm torn between it and Angband.

mutations are really cool. i like how you can become "irradiated" and eventually mutated if there is too much magic cast on you.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
What's new in dcss

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
So thanks to this thread I'm getting back to being obsessed with DCSS, and I have a couple questions.

1. Tips on playing a DsAK? I guess it doesn't have to be an AK but I am a huge scrub and I should probably stay close to a melee character, and Ds seems really rad.

2. How to start with a character that is all about dodging and stealth. I've played around with a GhMo which is what made me want to look into that play style more.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

welcome posted:

What's new in dcss

this stuff

(usually posts are ordered roughly from most to least significant, so feel free to use that to skim heavily)

nerve posted:

So thanks to this thread I'm getting back to being obsessed with DCSS, and I have a couple questions.

1. Tips on playing a DsAK? I guess it doesn't have to be an AK but I am a huge scrub and I should probably stay close to a melee character, and Ds seems really rad.

2. How to start with a character that is all about dodging and stealth. I've played around with a GhMo which is what made me want to look into that play style more.

1. DS is cool but, if you're looking for a good starter melee char, imo play Be or ((Fi or Gl) of Oka); neither DS nor AK are particularly strong, and AK in particular is a little fiddly (not bad, just fiddly)

tips for ak: play like a melee character (focus on getting your killing skills up to speed), eventually dump some skill into invo to get banishment working, eventually gently caress around with corrupt and stuff but lugonu is never going to be your primary focus, just a helpful backup against tough enemies. don't forget to sacrifice corpses. bend space is insanely situational so probably don't spend too much time thinking about it.

2. basically keep in mind that you aren't gonna be able to sneakystab most enemies without using spells to put them to sleep, confuse them, dazzle them, enslave them (& then stab them in the back), etc. stealth is very good for controlling the size of fights (fighting enemies singly or in small groups, rather than fighting half the level at once), but without magical help, you're not going to be able to stab things reliably.

if you want the sneakystabbing, play en; spen is traditionally recommended, but dgen is also good, and dsen is aight. if you want the sneaking, there are a lot of characters who are good in light armour; gl, as, tm, mo all do well in light armour (though mo is not very good in general). possibly try mfgl or gras or something like that. tm is fun, but has the additional wrinkle of relying very heavily on sticks to snakes in the early game, I'd recommend a dgtm or mftm if you want to try that out.

hopefully that wasn't too much wordy bullshit. have fun!

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 11, 2014

Dec 26, 2012

Orc wizards can no longer confuse the player for 30+ turns.

was that a newly created problem because i dont remember that happening ever

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Verge posted:

Is Elona RPG (not to be confused with Elona shooter) a Rogue?

its garbage

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

01011001 posted:

Orc wizards can no longer confuse the player for 30+ turns.

was that a newly created problem because i dont remember that happening ever

I am really not sure - the dev who changed that seemed pretty certain about it but I never ran into anything like it either

and if he was right, mennas and other late monsters would have been able to confuse you for hundreds of turns?

idk

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

PleasingFungus posted:

What kind of character were you playing?

I was following in some pretty obvious footsteps playing a minotaur monk worshipping oka, which is definitely not a crowd control class/species. But holy cow are they a mixmaster in the early game. If I could get within staff's reach of a summoner I could end him in two turns. Found an oka altar on lvl 2 and a faith medallion to boot, so lots of gifts were happening until I ditched the amulet. To tell the truth I kind of like just putzing around with the demonspawn and seeing what mutations pop up. I had a guy who lucked out and got the 'summon demons' mutation 3 times in a row so he was summoning executioners and stuff really really early.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
the dude who said that CoQ was bad should quit posting because that opinion is wrong and hateful.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Michael Jackson posted:

the dude who said that CoQ was bad should quit posting because that opinion is wrong and hateful.

I've never played it but I can tell it's insanely garbage from the way people talk about it.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Nihnoz posted:

I've never played it but I can tell it's insanely garbage from the way people talk about it.

u nihncozpoop!

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Scaramouche posted:

I was following in some pretty obvious footsteps playing a minotaur monk worshipping oka, which is definitely not a crowd control class/species. But holy cow are they a mixmaster in the early game. If I could get within staff's reach of a summoner I could end him in two turns. Found an oka altar on lvl 2 and a faith medallion to boot, so lots of gifts were happening until I ditched the amulet. To tell the truth I kind of like just putzing around with the demonspawn and seeing what mutations pop up. I had a guy who lucked out and got the 'summon demons' mutation 3 times in a row so he was summoning executioners and stuff really really early.

I managed to get a DsMo of Jivya going once and that's pretty fun with all the mutations happening all the time.

Dec 26, 2012

Nihnoz posted:

im gonna try it, and find out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

i must be spoiled from brogue/sil because this game's ascii is ugly as gently caress lol

• Locked thread