Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Were you running Memtest 86+ or some other memory diagnostic? If you were running memtest86, did you let it complete at least one full pass?

What you describe reminds me most of a case I had where my main machine would slowly get more and more error-prone, then start blue-screening, and finally I'd reinstall, only to have the process repeat. This was years ago and Windows XP, and memtest86 actually came back clean on that machine. I finally found another more burn-in type test, and I had some slightly bad RAM in that machine, and eventually errors written to the HDD would pile up and cause system failure.

When you said swapping the sticks of RAM did nothing, did you try running the machine with just one stick of RAM for a period of time, then try running it with just the other stick of RAM for a period of time? Or did it run successfully with one stick of RAM for a while, and then started degrading once the other was added back in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread