Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It’s time for…
THE DOCTOR WHO THREAD SECRET SANTA!

Yes, it’s that time of the year again!

If you're new to this Secret Santa malarkey, we all throw our names into my hat, receive a random name, and send that person a lovely gift of Doctor Who goodies, toys, candy, maybe some booze, and all around a big ol' ball of holiday cheer! It's fun, trust me. No, really.

SIGNING UP:

1 )Right, I’m trying something new here. Sign up here: http://goo.gl/forms/ZGb7uPIaEX

If you find you are having problems, email me at :siren: doctorwhosecretsanta [at] gmail [dot] com :siren:
In the subject, please include the tag [DWSS] as I am running another Secret Santa and don’t want to confuse the two.

2) Post in this thread! Tell us what kinds of stuff you're into! Once Santas are assigned, we're all going to be trying to figure each other out, so some healthy conversation will help things go smoothly.

3) DEADLINE: The deadline for sign-ups is FRIDAY NOVEMBER 28TH! #SAVETHEDAY Assignments should go out shortly thereafter.

4) BUDGET: Somewhere in the $25-$30 (£15-20) range (before shipping). You're welcome to spend more, but that's no guarantee you'll get that much in return. Gag gifts are cool, but please include some kind of actual gift.

5) COLLEGE STUDENTS: Remember that these gifts will likely go out around the holiday break, so be mindful of which address you give me. If you have any concerns about packages being stolen from your doorstep, use the address of your work/friend/parents, just so long as it's cool with them.

4) INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING: If you sign up for this, you are agreeing to the possibility of getting an international address. The USPS international price calculator can be found here.

5) SHIPPING DEADLINES:
• International - Friday December 12th (This is the UK to US last shipping date, so I'd imagine the same is true vice versa)
• Within the same country - Wednesday December 17th

6) WHEN YOUR GIFT ARRIVES: Show us your loot! You can wait until Christmas morning if you want, but still, show us all the awesome goodies Santa brought you.

7) LATE PACKAGES: If you haven't received your gift by January 1st, let me know so I can look into it. If you haven't SENT your gift by December 17th, let me know so I can contact your recipient.

8) DON'T BE A DEADBEAT: If you sign up, please get your person something. Nobody likes a deadbeat santa.

9) FINALLY: A Merry Christmas to all of you at home!

And for those who wanted the Round Things:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I own this: http://imgur.com/a/Av6CP

:smugbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

surc posted:

Awesome! Here's the real question, though. Are those actually autographed to you, or a previous owner?

They're signed to me. I made that book awesome :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Horror channel had the omnibus of Robots of Death on this evening, and both my parents and I all sat there watching it over dinner, rapt. :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I can get behind this:

https://vimeo.com/112543521

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

See that makes more sense to me, as yes it's where Gallifrey should be, so it could be where the Master escaped from in the final moments, the 12th Doctor gets there and then helps it vanish again to who knows where properly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Wouldn't have worked in the episode, but this is still a cool concept and surprisingly well edited.

I think it would have if they'd built up to it a little. The Master wasn't lying, Gallifrey was where it was meant to be, but at the point in space/time for it to be snatched away again in seconds.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Davros1 posted:

"I" is also hilarious.

Withnail &...?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

7 wore glasses?

In real life, yes. Or contacts. You can see them when he's riding a motorcycle in Survival.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Posting again because it's the last day to sign up!

The_Doctor posted:

It’s time for…
THE DOCTOR WHO THREAD SECRET SANTA!

Yes, it’s that time of the year again!

If you're new to this Secret Santa malarkey, we all throw our names into my hat, receive a random name, and send that person a lovely gift of Doctor Who goodies, toys, candy, maybe some booze, and all around a big ol' ball of holiday cheer! It's fun, trust me. No, really.

SIGNING UP:

1 )Right, I’m trying something new here. Sign up here: http://goo.gl/forms/ZGb7uPIaEX

If you find you are having problems, email me at :siren: doctorwhosecretsanta [at] gmail [dot] com :siren:
In the subject, please include the tag [DWSS] as I am running another Secret Santa and don’t want to confuse the two.

2) Post in this thread! Tell us what kinds of stuff you're into! Once Santas are assigned, we're all going to be trying to figure each other out, so some healthy conversation will help things go smoothly.

3) DEADLINE: The deadline for sign-ups is FRIDAY NOVEMBER 28TH! #SAVETHEDAY Assignments should go out shortly thereafter.

4) BUDGET: Somewhere in the $25-$30 (£15-20) range (before shipping). You're welcome to spend more, but that's no guarantee you'll get that much in return. Gag gifts are cool, but please include some kind of actual gift.

5) COLLEGE STUDENTS: Remember that these gifts will likely go out around the holiday break, so be mindful of which address you give me. If you have any concerns about packages being stolen from your doorstep, use the address of your work/friend/parents, just so long as it's cool with them.

4) INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING: If you sign up for this, you are agreeing to the possibility of getting an international address. The USPS international price calculator can be found here.

5) SHIPPING DEADLINES:
• International - Friday December 12th (This is the UK to US last shipping date, so I'd imagine the same is true vice versa)
• Within the same country - Wednesday December 17th

6) WHEN YOUR GIFT ARRIVES: Show us your loot! You can wait until Christmas morning if you want, but still, show us all the awesome goodies Santa brought you.

7) LATE PACKAGES: If you haven't received your gift by January 1st, let me know so I can look into it. If you haven't SENT your gift by December 17th, let me know so I can contact your recipient.

8) DON'T BE A DEADBEAT: If you sign up, please get your person something. Nobody likes a deadbeat santa.

9) FINALLY: A Merry Christmas to all of you at home!

And for those who wanted the Round Things:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

He got that when he drunkenly stumbled into the wrong phonebox one night.

"Tom's putting it in now."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Secret Santa stuff will go out tonight, apologies etc. it's been a hell of a weekend.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

All the Secret Santas have gone out now! Check your (e-)mailboxes! :toot:

And with the time at 1:45am, I am finally going to bed...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oi, you have email. Are you allergic to nuts?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Astroman posted:

McIntee is another great Who writer. I love how the cover looks like it's some book from 1972 that you've found in a secondhand shop. :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I've just realised there's a 'getting coffee in Glasgow" joke. :doh:

Polices boxes in Glasgow have been repurposed as things like coffee shops:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

McGann posted:

Seems pretty obvious to me that it would have been done after. They started phasing out call boxes in the 70s, so by the 80s-90s they're mostly out of service. Easily by then they were more associated with Who than actual Police, I'd think.*

*un-sourced conjecture based on skimming the wikipedia article on Police Boxes.

Just so. To the point that the Metropolitan Police lost a court case in which they tried to claim trademark rights to the police box design against the BBC. The court ruled in favour of the BBC on the grounds that police boxes hadn't been on the streets for decades and the general public associated them more with Doctor Who and the TARDIS than anything else.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Arrange them by the height of the tallest actor in the story.

So, Ice Warriors goes first?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Unkempt posted:

The Time Monster? Dave Prowse is in that.

E: poo poo Prowse is only 6'6", I thought he was taller than that.

Oh wow, I never realised Pertwee was 6'3. Same height as T.Bakes who you generally think of as the tallest.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

Feels a lot like "Remembrance" except with Cybermen instead of Daleks;

They even comment on this in the story itself. Ace says "Just like you defeated the Daleks!" when the Doctor explains his plan.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 10, 2014

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DoctorWhat! The package of Target novelisations I sent out in September finally turned up at my home in London! I had totally given them up for lost forever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Oh my god, thank goodness! Thank USPIS!

I'll put it back in the post in the next couple of days, along with my Santee's gift!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Solaris Knight posted:

The Doctor, I found what to give my Santee but I need his number for Amazon purposes. Please respond.

Yep, they've just replied and I passed it onto you.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I've just remembered that I listened to Night Thoughts forever ago, but reading that has made me realise how little of it stuck with me. I honestly couldn't tell you much of it beyond "some academics in a lonely house because Reasons". I even forgot Hex was in it. Maybe I should revisit.

Or just listen to Chimes again soon because Christmas is coming up very soon and it wouldn't be Christmas without it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I think I got my gift from my Santa. I've received a small envelope addressed to 'The_Doctor'. So we'll see.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Five bucks when you open it, it says "Run, you clever boy."

I would be slightly mad.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I sent my Santee's stuff out today via free work couriering. Hurrah for working for a big global firm who don't care! :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Master has a chocolate fountain in his TARDIS? :allears::toot:

Also, if you haven't received your gifts yet, remember the deadline for posting was Wednesday just gone so they may still be in the system.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Trophy and motorcycle? What kind of thread do you think this is.

Trophy and racing car

This racing car:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bananas!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Thanks Santa!

Oh that's a really good read! Definitely one of the best BBC PDAs, it's got an engaging concept, a good ear for the Doctor and Romana's voices and is surprisingly funny too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I just realised I didn't put a note or any identifier in my package about who it's from. :doh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really hope she becomes 12's Ainley. Dying at the end of every episode and explaining how she's alive in the next with a shrug and an eye-roll.

:mad: "But... I saw you vapourised!"
"Do try to keep up..."

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 22, 2014

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ninth Doctor comics are coming! with Nine, Rose and Jack!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

After The War posted:

Thank you, The_Doctor, you're a hero to the thread year after year, and this time you got to be mine!

Glad you like! :) I only organise it, thank you all for taking part!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Here we go here we go.

Who has a door going onto their roof like that?

This is a very David Brent Santa.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

PURGE <-- Alien reference!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hand shaped aliens that cling to your face..? Um.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wow. That's... on the nose. And hilarious.

"A horror movie called Alien? That's really... offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

This is the best Christmas special yet. There. I've said it. :colbert:

• Locked thread