Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

That was a much longer review than I was expecting it to be, sorry! But please talk about Day of the Doctor because it's about the right time of year to do so and holy poo poo was it good!

I watched it recently and the only bug in my ointment is that I would have preferred Donna over Rose as The Moment. Donna had the conscience, not Rose. I know there's several excuses, including Bad Wolf, none of them are good enough for me.

Fez's are cool though. ASAP PRONTO LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I love the Doctor's insistence (and Clara's bemused disbelief) that he could absolutely have a job if he wanted ("have it on my desk... do I have a desk? Get me a desk!"), which even gets touched on at the end when he happily declares that he could be a curator if he wanted.

I liked his economical explanation of the job he DID have which was basically trying to run away from UNIT and having to stop invasions in between. He doesn't use the scientist excuse any more though. It's that pipe dream that he can just sit back and let the universe do its own thing, which he doesn't seriously believe.

Oxxidation posted:

Yup, pretty much. I have little respect for your opinions.

In the cupboard. Now.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 23, 2014

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

The only thing I can think of is that Moffat wanted to out-RTD RTD's giant Steampunk Cyberman in Victorian London. But given he did the Statue of Liberty AND later did a super-giant T-Rex in Victorian London I'm starting to suspect he's the one who gave RTD the idea for the giant Cyberman in the first place.

IDK about anyone else but I didn't need reminding of Ghostbusters II.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

sunsweet posted:

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep pushing through, then. I've heard a lot about the Master but all I've seen of the character is a little of John Simm playing him opposite Tennant. Anyway, I guess being stuck on Earth's not much different as a premise than the hundreds of bases under siege that 2 happened upon.

Treasure every moment with Brig, and Benton, and Yates. I watched Inferno the other day and the commentary was great; John Levene who plays Benton got a whole episode to comment on himself.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive, no wonder everyone keeps invading you!"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Man, remember when Moffat thought that being rushed and terrible and making no sense were bad things in stories? :v:

I like the ending to BB, because its 11 trying to put on the judgmental 10 act and gets thoroughly owned by Amy. He gets his act together after this. That's good writing, and its so ironic Moffat dismisses it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

There is very definitely a Big Finish audio concept somewhere in here.

Maturity will, um, age!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dr Who totally needs to do a cool Turing episode without referring to his suicide a la Vincent because it doesn't define him ffs.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Android Blues posted:

He probably wouldn't have committed suicide if it wasn't for the actions of an oppressive government (they put him on a forced course of hormone suppressants to try to "cure" his homosexuality, for example), so I feel like, if you did an episode about it, you'd need at least a nod to the facts just on a moral basis. Just to call out, "hey, this was really evil", I guess.

I know the whole story, but I fear it would be mishandled and better left alone. As much as I love the Vincent episode for many things, it was more about the tragedy than the art. They couldn't leave it alone all the way through it, and it was only saved by Amy's sunflowers. That's not the way I choose to remember Van Gogh and ditto for Turing.

People don't know enough about Turing's brilliance, which is a better subject for Dr Who than a heavy-handed moralistic angle just because we think it should be there. Not to mention the message it doesn't matter how brilliant you are, or how much your country owes you, we'll still destroy you because it's a cheap way to distract our bosses from our failures that sends. That would sure go down well with the kids.

The_Doctor posted:

Don't read the EDA The Turing Test, then. Actually, do, because it's a very good book.

This is just what needs to be done, the synopsis here is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Be warned, you know how the classic series of Doctor Who had a budget of five pounds (and the Head of Drama wanted the change back) per YEAR? Well Blake's 7's production crew used to look wistfully over at Doctor Who and say,"If only we had all of their resources."

So they borrowed them. Literally. If you know what you're looking for, you can play spot the sets, costumes and actors in every show (not even counting the shared production staff).

• Locked thread