Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
It took me a long time to warm up to DotD. I know I'll probably catch flak for this, but I was honestly hoping for something more like Stolen Earth/Journey's End. The episodes are kind of self indulgent, bringing a mishmash of the Doctor's buddies in, and polluting the story with so many you can't do anything interesting with them. Still, I really wanted some absolutely ridiculous thing where Wilf, Craig, Jack Harkness, most of the surviving old Doctors, and whoever else got together and did silly things probably involving Gallifrey.

What we got was much better, but it took me a while to forgive it for not being what I wanted it to be and see it as a good episode.

I finished my first binge watch of Who the day Name of the Doctor came out, so Day was the first episode I ever waited for, I don't know if that colored my expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The problem I had with River was when they showed their relationship, I didn't buy it. It felt like the entire time the Doctor was stringing her along. Like he was acting out a play that they were married because he knew they were married in the future. Especially in the episode with their wedding, marrying her seemed like a last ditch "oh, gently caress it!" option to save the universe rather than any actual desire to be in a relationship with her.

It's a shame, because River is decent, and she gets that great Gay Gypsy Bar Mitzvah line, but I really feel like the Doctor would have married Mickey the Idiot just as well as River in the same situation.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 23, 2014

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Out of wonder, why do people hate Let's Kill Hitler so much? Admittedly I only saw it once, but I remember liking it in a "oh my god this is the most ridiculous thing ever" sort of way. I enjoy it the same way Occ likes The Christmas Invasion, basically.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah, I know the TARDIS shouldn't be able to materialise inside an older version of itself

Sez you

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Out of Time was one of the few legitimately good episodes of Torchwood, so I'm excited.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm sorta freaking out, tbh. This is some Da Vinci Code-type poo poo.

It turns out the reality of Looms had been encoded in An Unearthly Child all along.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Join us next week when Doctor What divines the connection between the words "lambert" and "hartnell", and the Rosetta Stone

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Burkion posted:

God DAMNIT with all of the Dalek as statue jokes, I just want to make a silly joke about "A Dalek statue trying to kill people? It'll never happen"

But I also like not being probated

I'm not sure what you're referring to. The only thing I can think of is the Zygons in Day of the Doctor, but that's not Daleks. Something in Asylum maybe?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Dabir posted:

Well here's the thing, if you get the Cyberman mentality right then anything that improves survival, no matter how slow or clunky it might make you, as long as it keeps you alive better, should be considered an upgrade.

It's all so clear now.

Cybermen are hermit crabs.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Since the season is over, how's that not terrible Doctor Who wiki coming, guys?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I like pretty much everything the first time I see it unless it's one of the very few things unlucky enough to trigger a gut hatred. I really only can do "this episode was bad" in retrospect. If I was posting in Who threads at the time, I probably would have been like "Wow, Love and Monsters was pretty okay, huh guys? I really liked the focus on how peoples friendships can grow beyond the reasons they originally got together. :v:"

End of the World I think in retrospect is just pretty mediocre though. I remember when I saw it at first just thinking it was kind of boring, and that Cassandra was sort of weird.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Cleretic posted:

I'm pretty similar on both sides of the scale. Unless something sparks up as Pretty drat lovely really quickly (like Forest of the Night), or as really good really fast (like Flatline), I'll usually enjoy it well enough, but time will tell if it's actually good or terrible.

It's not just Who that does that, either. I thought Metroid: Other M was pretty great until like, a week after finishing it.

Admittedly, when something hits my "gut hate" button, it doesn't always mean it's bad. Maybe it's correlated, but not a certainty. I really, really didn't like Day of the Doctor until I mulled over it for a while. I was expecting it to be as masturbatory as big franchise anniversaries usually are; something that brought everyone the Doctor has ever heard of on board for some nonsensical plot like a higher budget Journey's End. I really didn't like how what I expected there mostly just boiled down to stock footage of a few Doctors for a minute. It took me weeks to forgive it for that and realize that it's actually a good episode.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

MikeJF posted:

This reminds me, have we actually seen Capaldi's time vortex?

CobiWann posted:

Man, post-watershed standards are really permissive...

I think they only showed that in episodes streamed on Christmas Island.

So you don't have to spend hours figuring out wtf I'm on about, web addresses for Christmas Island end in .cx

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

CobiWann posted:

Oh, come on. It's just a puppet! Name me ONE time through all of this show's run that a puppet's been evil or creepy!

There's an easy joke in here somewhere about bad acting or special effects, but I can't find it.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Does this discussion mean we can officially start calling the Danny/Clara subplot a "turgid time-travelling soap opera"?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
My favorite special Christmas was the one where Uncle T. Bakes got into a drunken argument with Cousin Smith and then passed out on my couch for a week.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I watched this episode at the onset of a migraine. My migraine onsets are characterized by sharp pain localized on one of my temples. Is this the real life?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The Master is Santa, (s)he does it solely because spending a day per year being kind to every child on Earth confuses the gently caress out of The Doctor.

Except the off years. The off years he's Krampus.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

docbeard posted:

Not every throwaway joke needs an expla-

There's a twenty-thousand word article about the eleven distinct explanations for Father Christmas and how to reconcile them all on the Doctor Who Wiki, isn't there?

I looked it up, the Santa article is remarkably lucid for a Tardis wiki entry.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I don't get it...

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm pretty sure someone has. At least I've seen it before and I'm pretty sure it was from one of our Who threads.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

DoctorWhat posted:

I've never played a Bioware game.

EDIT: actually that's not STRICTLY true. I played that godawful DS Sonic RPG.

So you're going to write crossover Who/Sonic fanfic instead!? :gonk:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

PriorMarcus posted:

"Imagine the Doctors surprise when his screwdriver turns into a loveable blue hedgehog."

I was thinking there was a joke about Amy Pond and Amy Rose in there somewhere. I don't know what or where it is, but it's in there.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I may eat my words, but I guessed a D for Amy's Choice based almost entirely on the fact that Occ said he hates "what if" episodes, which I assumed may extend to dream episodes.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The words "complete narrative trainwreck" spring to mind.

E: Also, what do you do with some of the meta-time nonsense? Like, after the universe is rebooted at the end of Series 5, is everything after that still on the "same" timeline? There's also the idea that burning Gallifrey really, really happened and then was overwritten later in the Doctor's personal timeline that we saw in Day. It's hard to fold that stuff into the idea. Not to mention the couple of times alternate universes were involved.

Also, do I need to have The Wedding of River Song running on loop in the background while watching it this way?

Even if you take out all the spergy stuff I just said, the narrative just wouldn't work. Doctor Who episodes are self contained, in that you can watch stories in whatever order and they mostly make sense, but not that self-contained. They still have character arcs and ongoing subplots that just get ruined by this.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 8, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
When I think about it more, it's one of those things that could be "fun" if Doctor Who wasn't so goddamn long. Like, if the revival was only two series it may be a kind of silly way to spend a weekend, but it's not really interesting enough of an idea to do it with 5-8 seasons + specials.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Some episodes would be absurdly funny like this, like Blink or Time Heist.

E: Also, inserting random clips from the tail end of Name of the Doctor all over.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 8, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
It would be pretty easy if you could crowdsource minute/second (or, preferably, exact frame) data on the time periods certain things start or end. Writing a script to do that is easy, it's getting the data that's hard. That BBC thing goes part of the way there, but not quite at the resolution needed.

E: Now I'm imagining all of the scenes in a row of the Doctor asking the companion where they want to go.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

DoctorWhat posted:

what happened to me

You're Doctor What, you tell me.

• Locked thread