Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Dark Eyes has been great, but I hope they're doing something a bit smaller-scale next. India Fisher's doing BF again, so maybe an Eight/Charley anthology box set or something, some one-episode shorts from a bunch of different writers? That'd be lovely.

TinTower posted:

Could someone please post ian_levine.gif? I was telling someone about it earlier and she refused to believe its existence (despite knowing his reputation).

I tried searching tumblr for Ian Levine. I would recommend not searching tumblr for Ian Levine.

This one?

The_Doctor posted:

THE DOCTOR WHO THREAD SECRET SANTA!

Not sure if I can do it this year, but I definitely recommend participating to everybody who's thinking about it - I got a sweet Colin Baker mug last year and a Tom scarf the year before that. Goons are great at buying science fiction tie-in merchandise, who knew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

I thought this was going to be that picture of you with Matt Smith and I prepared to be deathly jealous about it all over again, and then it was something even worse!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

FreezingInferno posted:

Now I'm thinking about Spare Parts again and I remember playing Bionic Commando during it.

I played a game where the protagonist has replaced his arm with a robot grapple hook arm while listening to the secret origins of the Cybermen.

How 'bout that poo poo.

I once listened to Project: Twilight while mowing the local sport center's lawn.

No real connection there, it was just kind of a lovely, boring day all around.

Though not as bad as that one time in the army when I was stuck in a damp tent for a week and the only book I had with me was Timewyrm: Genesys. The worst loving week of my life right there, let me tell you.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

I think I've got pretty much everything I want from Series 1 and 4, but are there some particularly good audios in 2 or 3? I've only heard Brave New Town, which was pretty good, and I'd love to pick up a couple more.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Metal Loaf posted:

"No Man's Land" was the first BFA story I listened to. The second was "Red" (or, as it is perhaps more accurately called, "Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrred").

Is everyone's first BFA some random inconsequential release from the mid-2000s? Mine was The Gathering, and I can't even remember why I picked that (or how I ever proceeded to my second audio after that awful piece of Lidster). Probably because it was one of the few main range ones you could get for a fiver back then.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Apparently this is a thing that's happening?

quote:

Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart In New Adventures

Available from People’s Book Prize winning publisher, Candy Jar Books, Lethbridge-Stewart is a new series of novels revealing the untold story of Colonel Alistair Lethbridge-Stewart set shortly after the 1968 serial, The Web of Fear.

The first series consists of The Forgotten Son by Andy Frankham-Allen, Horror of Det-Sen by Lance Parkin, The Schizoid Earth by David A McIntee and Mutually Assured Domination by Nick Walters.

I thought this was going to be a Cyberbrig spin-off series at first and then I found out Lance Parkin is writing one of them, so reading this news article has been just a rollercoaster of emotions.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Seeds of Power
The Seeds of Fear
The Seeds of Evil
The Seeds of the World
The Seeds of Decay
The Seeds of St Bartholomew's Eve

"...of Death" works pretty well too.

The Curse of Death
The Horns of Death
The Brain of Death
Planet of Death
The Massacre of Death

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
You can now get the new Sixth Doctor & Peri audio Masters of Earth on discount for £10 on download with the discount code "DALEKS", thanks to the official Doctor Who Christmas calendar thing. Anyone heard it, is it worth a tenner?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Rochallor posted:

Also, has anybody gotten The Rani Elite yet? I think I might just blind buy this one, since between the new Rani, the new Master, the other new Master, and the new Doctor, it's just canon now that all Time Lords are Scottish.

If you haven't already, you should pick up the first episode they've put up for free if you'd like a taster. I haven't listened to the whole thing either, but I quite enjoyed the first part and it felt like it had potential. And, of course, in true Doctor Who fashion the cliffhanger to the first episode of an audio called "The Rani Elite" was that the one super-suspicious woman behind all those weird goings-on was actually - and you're not going to believe this - THE RANI.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
EDIT: ^ Yep, Vicki's great. She's almost a better Susan than Susan ever was.

Just a few more minutes to go! Merry Christmas and/or other related holidays, Who thread nerds.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
That was really excellent and probably the best Christmas special in recent memory. Capaldi and Coleman were as excellent as they've been all year, and Nick Frost especially knocked it out of the park. I'm glad they're playing up Capaldi's comedic side more, and it's good to see he can do both the sarcastic quips and put-downs as well as the excitable-kid-in-an-adult-body thing Smith perfected (like in the sleigh ride bit: "Would you like to have a go?" ":reject: you're a group hallucination constructed by our collective minds BUT YEAH ALRIGHT :haw:").

But yeah, I have to echo those who would have liked Clara's send-off to be the real thing. It's weird, I went from being disappointed to hear she might be leaving when it was announced to really expecting it by the end of Series 8 because it felt like a natural ending, despite how well Twelve and Clara worked together. This would have been a nice cap to Clara's arc on the show, and her coming back feels very much like the Ponds doing their unnecessary victory lap in Series 7. But like I said, she and Twelve proved to be a great TARDIS team in Series 8, so I can't complain too much.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

TinTower posted:

The "try to suppress an involuntary bodily function" bag of tricks?

DOCTOR WHO SERIES 9 EPISODE GUIDE posted:

Episode 5: Call of Nature

The Doctor and Clara pay a visit to her grandmother, who's living in a care home in Tooting Bec. Unbeknownst to them, the home has been invaded by a malevolent race of sentient porcelain.

Writer: Steven Moffat
Director: Keith Boak

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

It's slowly occurring to me that while I like having Kate Stewart around, Jemma Redgrave isn't that great of an actress. She's got this incredibly flat delivery that's starting to irk me.

I kind of like that flat tone she has, actually. It feels like a world-weary UNIT pro mixed with an old-world eccentric officer, who'd quite happily spend her days feeding pigeons in the park if it weren't for all these bloody Mandrels and Bandrils and Voords and Time Lords.

They do need stop going on constantly about her dad, though. It's got to the point where it feels like she's a fake moustache away from going full Norman Bates on him.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Random Stranger posted:

I've been listening to the audios picked up from the Humble Bundle deal and I've got to say, Mission to Magnus was god-loving-awful. I know all about the context, a half done story for the season that was canceled that they were trying to do in a way to make it play like a story from 1984, but that doesn't make it good.

The first Lost Episodes one with the return of the Toymaker was okay. Not terrific and I would have definitely preferred that the character was shelved forever but there's plenty worse out there. So it's not like I'm opposed to the entire line, it's just that Mission to Magnus was a complete disaster of a story.

I've got one nice thing to say about it and that's Nabil Shaban did a good job with the role of Sil again. Well, that and it feels like a really lovely Colin Baker episode from around that time so if that's what they were going for...

I've been going through the Lost Stories as well, and Mission to Magnus is easily one of the worst BFAs I've ever heard. I mean, Planet of Women was already a dumb, tired cliché in the 1980s, especially when given to a writer like Philip Martin who's got the subtlety and social sensitivity of a chauvinistic sledgehammer, and it doesn't fare any better 30 years later. Poor Nicola Bryant sounds really embarrassed about the whole thing in the making of.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Rochallor posted:

The movie Daleks are probably tied for my favorite Dalek design with the original revivial Dalek design. The movie Daleks get a big pass from me because they're the first to have a light shining out of the Dalek eyestalk instead of a goofy eyeball decal.

I really like the very first eyestalk design in The Daleks, with the contracting and expanding camera shutter thing on the eyeball. It's such a great effect, especially for 1963, and I don't think they ever bring it back - from The Dalek Invasion of Earth on Dalek eyeballs are just blank, static and obviously wooden things and they stay like that until the revival.

EDIT: Looks like it's still there in The Power of the Daleks:

It's definitely gone by Pertwee, though.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 6, 2015

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Jerusalem posted:

In un-chronological related matters, is there ANYBODY who actually liked Kill the Moon? Outside of all the stuff that happens between Clara and the Doctor after the main storyline is resolved?

I remember really liking it, actually. I thought it gave Capaldi some great defining Twelfth Doctor moments that I felt nailed what his character is like, and I can't recall anything that really bothered me other than the "whoops it laid another egg when you weren't looking" bit near the end. I haven't seen it since it aired, though, so my opinion might change on rewatch, but my first impressions on it were positive, regardless.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Proposition Joe posted:

Let's Kill Hitler was a bad episode. Kill the Moon was a bad episode. Every episode with the word 'Kill' is a bad episode so when next season's titles come in we will know which one to avoid.

On the other hand, every episode that ends in "of Death" is great, and I'm pretty sure "The Kill of Death" would be the best episode title ever.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Speaking of, I seem to remember a weird video where some greasy nerd analysed photos of Matt Smith and Karen Gillan and deduced that they must be dating because they smile when they look at each other sometimes? Or was that just something I did, I can't remember

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Bicyclops posted:

Uncle Moffat had a chat with Matt when he first started and told him not to get involved with Karen (not her specifically, but with his companions)

Rory is the pretty one anyway :colbert:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

Don't read the EDA The Turing Test, then. Actually, do, because it's a very good book.

It is indeed very good, but I honestly can't remember how they dealt with his suicide in it. I'm sure Graham Greene and Joseph Heller address it in some way, but I can't remember how.

It's good stuff though. Turing totes had the hots for Eight, as he and every other sensible person very well should.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I've been watching I, Claudius, and I think I found out what prompted the Master run away to the end of the universe in madness and fear.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Bicyclops posted:

Tom's interviews about being in the special were so hilarious. Like first of all, he was like "Listen, I'm not supposed to tell anyone that I'm in that thing, but I am," and then he just seemed kind of confused by whole process of sitting around and waiting for other people to film their scenes. I really hope he lives forever so when they're filming the 75th Anniversary, he can just walk by in a key scene, tap his nose, and wink.

I love that the he himself leaked the news of his own appearance and nobody believed him. I remember pretty much everyone in the spoiler thread (me included) being like "Pfft, Tom's just blowing hot air for shits and giggles", and when it really happened it was all the more surprising and exciting because of it.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
An episode of Desert Island Discs featuring William Hartnell from 1965 has just been discovered, but unfortunately it doesn't seem like the interviewer asks him his opinion on a female Doctor at any point. Billy's chosen some pretty thumpin' tunes for it, though.

EDIT: He talks very little like his Doctor, to be honest. Shows just how much the absent-mindedness and occasional fluffs were a part of the character as opposed to how he actually spoke.

EDIT2: Looks like it's been removed. Oh well.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 29, 2015

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

BF have been using the nuWho Daleks..?

Big Finish had Nick Briggs first, so really it's New Who who've been using BF Daleks. :colbert:

EDIT: Today's TARDIS Eruditorum is literally over 99,000 words long. More than your average-lenghth novel.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 9, 2015

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
The Hivemind of Evil

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Anyone kept a screenshot of CGI Snake?

Charles Godwin Ishmael Snake

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Yeah, there's a lot of awful stuff, but there's plenty to recommend as well, both in the Virgin and the BBC Books lines. It's just that the awful stuff is often so obviously awful people tend to latch onto that and forget the things that aren't Ace in leather unitards and Dodo getting space syphilis. People probably wouldn't be that eager to give Big Finish a try, either, if all we ever talked about was Minuet in Hell and Nekromanteia.

Maxwell Lord posted:

There's a lot of stuff where I appreciate the effort but don't quite enjoy the results (Adventuress of Henrietta Street I'm looking at you.)

I know what you mean, there's so much in Adventuress that I wanted to like but I couldn't help losing interest halfway through. It's a shame especially when you compare it to Alien Bodies, which is still a gold standard in tie-in books for nerds in how it managed to play with the mythology of the show without becoming impenetrable and still being really fun to read.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Davros1 posted:

Also, Dan Starkey is writing a Sontaran audio for 7 and Mel.

By now, Dan Starkey is to Sontarans what David Banks was to Cybermen, isn't he?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Ian Levine just busted out some TRUE FACTS on the lost season 23 on Facebook:

quote:

Doctor Who - THE ABORTED SEASON 23 - THE TRUE FACTS.

SOMEONE NEEDS TO FINALLY SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT.

HERE IS MY LETTER ABOUT IT TO GALLIFREY BASE.

I absolutely HAVE to wade in here and put the record straight. During this period, I was around JNT and Eric almost every day, and I knew absolutely everything to do with the production at that time, including who was writing what.

The DVD documentary about the aborted season 23 is flawed in the extreme, and nobody ever talked to me, the one and only person who knew what all six stories were. Eric has a memory like a sieve, and remembers nothing of that period, but I have a photographic memory, which mercifully was not affected by my stroke, and it still pains me to read such inaccuracies. The six stories of season 23 were as follows...

THE NIGHTMARE FAIR
THE ULTIMATE EVIL
MISSION TO MAGNUS
YELLOW FEVER
THE HOLLOWS OF TIME
GALLIFREY

There is no doubt about the accuracy of this. Eric was writing Gallifrey. After the cancellation, JNT and Eric had a furious row because John wanted to carry on with the same scripts. Eric said that it needed a new fresh approach so he refused to complete Gallifrey. In a classic fit of pique, John commissioned Pip and Jane Baker to write it to Eric's storyline. After one week, Eric made such an almighty stink that the commission was withdrawn, but I believe the stigma of this action led to Eric's finally walking out a year later. Eric finds this period so painful he has forgotten half of what happened, but Bob Holmes had offered the guidance of a mentor to Eric to write a story about con men, deposed Presidents, and sleeper agents with a hint of The Manchurian Candidate thrown in. Eric discussed the entire plot with me prior to the cancellation, but it never made it past the original story ideas as it would have been the last of the six stories to go into production, but Julian Glover was considered as the machiavellian arch villain President.

The Children Of January was a spare script and would only ever have made it to season 24, if ever used at all. Eric hated it.

As for Yellow Fever, I had a photocopy of the original scene breakdown of all three episodes, given to me by Eric. Indeed at one point Eric was hired to write it for the Doctor WHO book range, and got paid an advance, which he later returned.

The Rani was never to be in this story. Kate O'Mara was still doing Dynasty, and there was no mention of her in the story breakdown. This was a story about The Master, The Brigadier, UNIT, and Benton. The first half was set in London, with an Auton Prime Minister, the second half in Singapore. It would have been wonderful, especially with Graeme Harper directing.

I am really sick and tired of people spouting fantasy mistruths about this cancelled season. I always regretted its loss,down to being JNT's mouthpiece to Charles Catchpole of The Sun, and the dreaded Doctor In Distress, and I reconstructed three of the missing stories myself on audio, and did detailed visual recons on DVD of all six stories, with Nicola Bryant, Julian Glover, Milton Johns, Jon Levene, Waris Hussein, John Leeson, Nigel Plaskitt, Ian Fairbairn, and many many more. I am incredibly proud of them. Both Yellow Fever and Gallifrey were totally faithful to the original storylines.

I can 100% assure you all, no matter what anyone says to the contrary, that Gallifrey WAS to be the sixth story of that aborted season. And Yellow Fever's tag "And How To Cure It", was a Bob Holmes joke and never seriously intended to be a part of the title. That imagined cover featuring The Rani is just plain WRONG on so so many levels.

And I think this screencap from his "detailed visual recon" of Yellow Fever he posted speaks for itself:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

CaptainYesterday posted:

Revival Day is this Thursday. I still remember watching Rose and the End of the World on Sci Fi....a year later. Thankfully, the delay between UK airing and US airing has dropped to just a few hours.

I have a vague and not-entirely-reliable memory of watching Rose as it first aired here in Finland, which must have been sometime in 2006. I remember watching Aliens of London a couple weeks later more distinctly, although I don't think I was paying much attention since it took me years to realize that episode was not called "Pigs of London" and that the little pig in a space suit was not one of the actual titular aliens.

• Locked thread