Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One point I will carry over from the last thread- DoctorWhat, while Time Force did carry a lot of elements from TimeRanger, the most important aspect of the show that defined it as TRYING to be more of a genre series was an entirely American creation and idea.

Ransik. Ransik was the much needed human face on the central conflict that made up the core of Time Force, and has no REAL equal in the Sentai version. The fact that they got Bennet from loving Commando to play him is only icing on the cake.

THUS IS THE RANGER CHAT NERDERY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'll see if I can. SHould be fun! Would be my first

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

From Toxx's Planet of The Dead review:

The poor bastard has no idea what's coming. :smith:

Oh my GOD I didn't even spy that.

Oh God why did River have to turn into....what she became...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

"Haha, so to speak. Really though, I have a tremendous interest in certain pieces of Mizoyonian architecture, there definitely seems to be a syncretism present between them and other sites throughout the quadrant."

Or maybe she just got her tits out. You never know with universities.

I can't really tell what you're going for here, because J-Ru is utterly on point- River's only answer is so she can meet the Doctor.

That one line alone belies Moffat's intentions towards her character as a whole. She's fetish bait, just of a different type.

Which is very sad because when she first showed up, she was great. And her appearance in the Angels two parter was OK too. The Angels Two Parter kinda sucked, but you know.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

People poo poo the moving Angels but I didn't see what was so wrong with the rest of it (it even had Jorah Mormont as a battle monk!).

Disclaimer: that was literally the first time I'd seen Weeping Angels though.

Yeah I've been watching the revival since day one, or near about thanks to Scifi, so seeing the Weeping Angles so radically different, it was like an entirely original villain group they just didn't have the budget to pull off so they replaced them with Angels.

They went from being these enigmatic if not vaguely kind assassins who just send you some where in time, to out right horrific monsters that have a ton of powers out of goddamn nowhere and murder for no good reason just to be cruel.

It's like if Aliens was about how the Alien we saw before wasn't actually the norm for the drones, and instead that the entire species could actually teleport and make new aliens if you so much as thought about them. Also they could speak now.

It's not BAD, exactly, that's the Silurians and their weirdly sexualized designs, it's just off putting.

The Angels Take Manhattan was bad. gently caress that.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Oh, so they are basing it closely on Alien :v:

You know, I want to see the sequel to THAT ending. Screw ALIENS, I wanna see a super smart Ripley Voiced Xeno terrorizing human bases and making those weird people/face hugger things.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I get this feeling he's not going to like Moffat's run as much.

It's a strange feeling, but it's one regardless. Mind he won't have the bullshit time gaps to deal with.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
God DAMNIT with all of the Dalek as statue jokes, I just want to make a silly joke about "A Dalek statue trying to kill people? It'll never happen"

But I also like not being probated

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fucknag posted:

Starting to go through and watch some of the old serials, starting with Genesis. I like how the beginning with the other Time Lord is just:

"Yo help us kill-"
"No."
"-some Daleks."
"...Ok."

Even back in the day when the Daleks WEREN'T super omnicidal super jerks capable of wiping out everything, the Doctor still knew that the one exception to his kill rule was the Daleks.

Because gently caress Those Guys.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

No. I don't care that they ran on fake science, I care that they cheated. Kill the Moon was only able to reach its endpoint by bullshitting past every completely valid reasonable point of argument possible, not even overlooking it, just taking a valid, empirical point as to why its conclusion was erroneous and going "nah, it doesn't actually work like that." When, of course, it actually does. And even beyond that, every single plot beat hit some kind of contrivance that made my nose wrinkle. Why was Chloe smuggling Windex in her spacesuit, was she that neurotic about puking? Where was she smuggling it? Whyfore the fat comic-relief astronauts, when someone that out of shape would have been smeared across their seat by the g-force like a booger on the underside of a desk? Then you had the pointless "world voting" scene, the repeated, ignorant, outright contradiction of exceedingly basic science, the under-explanation of vital plot points, the off-putting abortion-debate analogue, and - most damningly, my same issue with "Journey's End" - the fact that Kill the Moon was a vital point in the season's overall arc, what with that whole Clara-Doctor blowout at the end. Blithe, lazy, insulting trash from start to finish.

Forest of the Night takes those same issues and compounds it with a dozen awful child actors and the aforementioned "meds" moral. Season 8 seems to be a really didactic season - appropriate when the Companion is a teacher and the Doctor comes off as a pissy tenured professor half the time - and teaching false messages, or actively harmful ones, is especially inexcusable in that context.

Thank Christ that those were the only real downbeats for me thus far. Moffat seems to have an awful lot of credits in this batch of episodes and he provides a safe quality baseline, with dudes like Mathieson providing peaks and the liches in charge of those two episodes giving me deep, dark valleys.

If I was a different man, I'd find a post of yours making fun of me disliking Season 8 during one of these two episodes.

I am not a different man however because I am infinitely lazy.

Welcome to the fold, say hi to two of the worst written episodes of Who made in quite a long time!

Why Doctor Who

You can be so much better than this

Why

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

You'd be looking for an awfully long time, because no such posts exist. This is the first time I've piped up on anything related to S8.

No it's not. I forget when, but at some point when we were being negative you made a joke about it.

As said, way too lazy to go back and check. I remember thinking it was weird you didn't like these episodes either, and then you made a remark a short time later about not having seen season 8 yet on the review thread.

I have a good memory, I just cannot be bothered to use it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A Christmas Carol is the biggest piece of poo poo as far as writing goes in Doctor Who........well OK it's not, but it's one of my all time least favorite stories.

Objectively it's fine, but subjectively I can't stand it.

I could bring up all kinds of things about free will and NOT INSIDIOUSLY CHANGING SOME ONE'S PERSONAL HISTORY AGAINST THEIR CONSENT AND ACTIVELY FORCING THEM TO BE A DIFFERENT PERSON but really all I ever need is this.

Hey Doctor, it's nice your letting the sick girl out and slowly loving killing her every year, but how about, in between snogging Marilyn Monroe (SERIOUSLY?) you TAKE HER TO A loving HOSPITAL?

Any of them! I hear there's one on New Earth that is remarkably good at healing people! Or maybe one Even FURTHER in the future where whatever the hell is wrong with her can be cured by sneezing on her!

No? Just going to let her tragically waste away like some lovely self important rear end in a top hat? Even though the only reason SHE'S DYING LIKE THIS IS BECAUSE YOU'RE A SELFISH rear end?

Go to hell Christmas Carol.

Darken my doorstep no more.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dabir posted:

But I thought neither he nor Kasran knew about it? Until she only told Kasran at the end of the last night she could be out and about.

The Doctor knew from the get go as far as I remember.

And even if he DIDN'T find out til late, why he could always just go back in time and take her at an earlier point to a hospital or something!

Or would that be violating the laws of time and loving space?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

You... you've convinced me, I'm going to-
notices small bead of sweat falling down the side of Bicyclops' face
:aaa:

CONSIDER THIS A DIVORCE

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I went with a B this episode, but I'm regretting it now in light of how much he seems to love all of the stuff this episode is made of.

The whole "NO HUMAN IS ALLOWED TO SPEAK TO ME" thing is so full of himself, it was something that kind of nudged the episode in the wrong way for me because it felt like something Ten would say in a fit of I AM BETTER THAN YOU, when this is STILL childs play compared to what Time Lords have done.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

So Occ, for whatever reason, would like this thread's take on what it would be like to watch the Doctor Who revival chronologically - as in, chronological to the time period of each episode. So Fires of Pompeii et al would be near the beginning, and Utopia would be waaaay at the end.

Answer as vaguely or sincerely as you want, it's a dumbass question if you ask me

I have the only correct answer

What would it be like? Complicated

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

No, what triggered it is that Occ tried watching Lost in chronological order and then thought "hm, this is pretty good, though I only like Lost in the first place because I have the insanity of a manatee. This same manatee-insanity prompts me to enlist Oxxidation to ask the Doctor Who megathread if the revival, too, would be better chronologically, despite spending half of its runtime helmed by the biggest Time rear end in a top hat this side of Homestuck's creator."

At which point I drop the whole mess on your laps and watch what predictably unfolds.

Can I ask

How the hell did he get out of Homestuck if he's such an avid fan of Lost

The Jane Dirk Jake stuff was pretty dire but it never got as bad as

Wait it was the Gigapause wasn't it- that gave him the time to break free

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

The best part about watching a completely chronological Doctor Who would be getting to the point where the Earth was destroyed by the sun about three times in a row.

The worst part would be everything, including the best part that I just listed.

Also nonsequential storytelling is a huge part of what drives Lost and gives each episode, at least in the early seasons and the end, a theme. It would be boring as all hell to watch chronologically.

I think I am just going to have to accept that I have the minority opinion on Kill the Moon and somehow live with myself. I still really, really like it!

Ah, Bicyclops?

Look at the last billion posts- trust me you are not the minority.

Kill The Moon is a bad episode if you value the writing at all- I personally dislike it immensely because the entire episode is just a series of events to get Clara and the Doctor to the point in their relationship they are at at the very, very end. Which comes out of no where near the middle and gets easily resolved in the next episode.

But the thing is that the series of events that make up this episode are by and large pointless. They feature 'characters' who are not memorable most of whom die very quickly, and consequences that aren't real. This entire episode could have just been set on the Earth, with our heroes having a good old fashioned argument, then the moon explodes and there's a big ole dragon and then the dragon lays a new moon and then they keep on arguing because they literally did nothing to impact the story.

Considering how massive the creature was and how the moon should be, those nukes would have done little more than tickle the thing- and more importantly all of the people who went on the suicide mission would have died due to moon spiders anyways.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, when Apollo 18 has better writing and understanding of character drama and consequences than a Doctor Who episode, something is extremely wrong.

But whatever if you liked it that's fine.

Not like this had an actually harmful message or anything.

That comes later.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

Well on the one hand I thought the moon dragon egg was too stupid for my tastes and this wasn't a good episode. On the other hand time travel is impossible so I can understand people who completely dismiss any concerns about realistic science.

Time Travel is impossible in THEORY- it could still happen if we some how got tech like Time Lords had, singularity bullshit machines and all that.

That's why it's science fiction.

The moon secretly being an egg for a great space dragon is not science fiction- that's straight up fantasy and in the dumbest of ways. We don't know for a fact without a doubt that time travel is impossible, and in some respects we know that it ISN'T impossible, just not the way we see it in Who

We do know for a fact that the moon isn't loving hollow and there isn't some great big beastie rumbling around in it. We also know what the moon is made of, generally how it was made, and lots of other fun stuff that makes this episode utter toss from the word go.

That's just the 'science' the episode throws around, as well. Then you get to the rest of it

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

Oh great, this argument again. No true science fiction.

I'm sorry, are basic school grade facts getting in the way of your escapist fiction?

There's a time and a place for it. This level of nonsense is fine if the Earth is shaped like a disc and placed on the backs of great elephants riding on a turtle, not so much if it tries to take place in the real world.

And ultimately- it's not the worst thing. That's the biggest problem with the episode- the fact that the moon is an egg is not the worst thing about it. It's just the start of all the other problems, narrative and thematic.

You could change it and say that the moon existed the way we knew it always did, but a great monster showed up and implanted HER egg inside of the moon and now it's ready to hatch and that will make the moon erupt. There, now it makes total sense, and works with the logic of the show.

But they couldn't do that because then they couldn't pull off the new moon bullshit at the end and have their cake and eat it too.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And yet again you miss my point Mark

My point is not that X breaks my suspension of disbelief thus this episode is bad, it's that this episode is bad because it does a lot of bad things. Characters are bad, situation is bad, resolution is bad- the only thing of any worth is the final confrontation between Clara and the Doctor and that's it.

It just also has lovely non science to wrap it all up in a nice cozy blanket of failure.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BSam posted:

Well it makes a nice change from reading the same post from Burkion five times a page. So I'll take it.

When some one finally understands that I'm not basing my criticisms on the fake moon not working like the real moon, I'll stop repeating myself.

Also Doctor What, I'm not even sure how to respond to that. That's...

You know whatever man. So long as you're happy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

Stories don't have to have anything in order to be successful stories. There are very nearly no hard-and-fast rules about what stories Need.

No offense man, all the love to you

Never try to be a writer

Just please don't

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

gently caress if I know, man.

See, NOW you're on your way to being a writer.

To be serious and echo previous- that's perfectly fine. We're round about the same age group, I think I'm a few years older, but I only know what I want to be because I've worked towards it since I was a child.

I wanted to tell stories. I wanted to entertain and enthrall people. I wanted to be a writer.

That's why I am a writer. Am I successful? Not particularly. Am I any good? Likely not.

But that doesn't really matter except when it comes time to pay bills. Then it kind of matters.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fungah! posted:

That's probably for the best, honestly, the cliffhanger'll mean more

The Flesh and the Silurians are both in this season right?

Holy poo poo I'm not sure how he'll take them

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

Flesh is next series.

Oh Thank god. Just one disappointing two parter with an interesting ending.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Of all the ones to put Near before, why was it WEDDING?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
HORRAY I got turned into a crowd of people who didn't like that two parter!

I'm so happy for me.

To be serious- the Flesh two parter isn't bad by any means unlike the Silurian two parter which is awful.

It just needed better writing or better editing or SOMETHING and the random super powers the Gangers some times have are just silly and don't look good at all. It's one of the few two parters where it could have been a much tighter single episode especially with so many of the plot points having been done before.

Silurian two parter sucks though. gently caress the Doctor being friendly with an alien who literally tortures humans and gently caress the new Silurian designs and just generally gently caress the entire two parter. Only good thing is the ending of the second part.

...not going to lie a lot of my annoyance and bile for the two parter comes in retrospect after watching the original Silurian story from the Third Doctor- which is this, but better.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
EVERYONE BE ENTIRELY NEUTRAL ABOUT RORY

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I thought River read his name on that baby crib?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

I can verify that this had nothing to do with future episodes, as disturbingly coincidental as it looked

And don't any of you idiots get clever with the next several episodes, i want there to be SOMETHING redeeming about the goddamned Silurian two-parter.

I love that we both hate this loving two parter, for both justified and unjustified reasons.

Why the Hell did they have to tack on Rory's death and erasure? Why couldn't that have gone on a GOOD episode to just let us skip the nonsense entirely?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'll likely repeat this in the review thread but

Anyone who says that the Old series is superior to the New series is talking out of their rear end. The New Series is better in just about every way if only because it was made more recently. Better writing, better effects, better pacing. What you prefer, what you LIKE, does not change what is technically superior.

And I mean that in a literal way.

Dr. Who and the Silurians is one of the very rare times where the Old Who is across the board superior to the New. More creative monsters, better designs, better COSTUMES, better characters, better writing, better pacing, the Doctor doesn't want to make out with a man who experiments on living human beings, better moral grayness.

One thing I was amazed about the Silurian costumes from the old serial was that they actually had working mouths, which was astounding to me. And then we get to the new ones and they're just poo poo. The entire thing is just poo poo. Even for dumb fun bullshit the old wins out! The Doctor is attacked by a goddamn Dinosaur!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

M_Gargantua posted:

I could never figure the exact significance of it being issued in 1990? Crack related? Secretly centurian Rory?

Also,

I saw this, was confused, and started clicking the next buttons...

I'm even more confused now. Then I pressed the start over button. Guess I am reading homestruck? And I didn't even know that was homestruck. All I knew of homestruck was of it getting mentioned in the review thread. I can't even.

Welcome to the Homestuck.

First Act is hilarious but slowly paced. Gets better after that and then the time bullshit kicks in

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Some of the original run's pacing was really really awful, too. Some of it was really good (even watching the episodes back to back)

I know with Ambassadors

OF DEATH

I breezed through the first three episodes without realizing I had just watched three episodes. It was just really, really loving well done and super engaging.

*TWANG*

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The thing is, I praise the original for smart, fantastically gray area writing. The morality of it is entirely hosed in such a good way without compromising who the Brigadier is and turning him into a villain.

He and the Doctor disagree on certain matters, and the Brig had every justification to believe the Silurians were dangerous threats to all of humanity- which in turn justified the Silurians who believed the humans would wipe them out.

It's a never ending cycle shattered by a violent act, and all the Doctor can do is watch in disapproval and disgust. There's a maturity to that, which is utterly lacking in the New Who two parter where pretty much all of the (MALE) Silurians are OK people except Dr. Mengele, and only really one or two (FEMALE) Silurians are blood crazy psychopaths. Despite being made so much later and being put into a serial with the Van Goh story, it's so much more cartoonish and silly.

Plus really, did they have to have combat miniskirts for the all woman army? Really?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

I thought the dog COULDN'T talk, but could write. At least, that was my understanding gleaned from adverts intruding on Gravity Falls.

He talks more than every other character combined.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Looking at all of the Rory love in the review thread

Christ you guys can't play anything close to the chest can you? Bah.

drat you Rory for being so great.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

It's like the director knew his audience would go "defibrillation does not work that way" and pre-emptively countered with "THEN LET'S DO IT TO THE WHOLE PLANET, TOO"

The worst thing about it is (besides the fact that they pull the same trick again in Name of the Doctor) it's a fantastic wonderful episode up until they realize, oh poo poo, we have to fit AN ENTIRE OTHER EPISODE WORTH OF BULLSHIT into the last few minutes!

I really do wonder if it was meant to be a two parter and just got shafted due to the backlash to all of the two parters in season 6.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is the one episode, THE ONE episode, that nearly made me quit Doctor Who.

gently caress this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

I don't think it's a good episode by any means, if only because it never really feels like there's a threat and the premise is pretty difficult to buy (even for Doctor Who) unless Earth's population is suddenly that of a video game planet. I don't hate it, though. Its principal sin for me is being a bit boring, and it at least has its moments.

Burkion, knowing your issues with it, I'm curious if you've ever seen Harvey or The Curious Savage and what your impressions of that type of fiction are. (That's not to imply that whatever your feelings on them are would excuse your complaints, because both come from a different era and are not dealing with children).

I think you already know my opinion, which is that the writer made an unfortunate and unintentional mistake and did not intend to comment literally on a child's anti-psychotic medication, and that it does detract from the writing, but that I don't feel quite as strongly as you do. But there's just such a plethora of work from the mid 30s to early 50s with similar problems (even for its time) that I have difficulty levying the same complaints against.

I have seen Harvey, I have not gotten to see the Curious Savage- living where I do, I rarely get a chance to see theater.

The huge, important difference between Harvey and this particular episode is that Harvey was ENTIRELY about the issue at hand and made it very clear the difference between the main character, and other actually ill people.

Not everyone can have a time stopping six foot tall rabbit friend who happens to be invisible after all.

It was a genuinely light hearted affair, made at a much earlier time before a lot of what we know today was known, and at no point did a multi decade-al role model to children everywhere stop and say "Stop giving her meds, you're stifling her!" or whatever the hell he said.

The episode didn't care about stuff like that, it just blazed on through without thinking. That one line was just a tiny part of the entire parade of bullshit.

Harvey was, as said, the entire focus of the movie. And seeing a giant six foot rabbit who is also invisible and can also stop clocks is a wee bit more fantastical than hearing voices in your head that tell you to do things.

• Locked thread