Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Ouch, Gridlock is certainly not an episode I'd recommend - good ideas but they're not strung together into a particularly cohesive whole. I'd still say The Eleventh Hour is probably the best episode of the revival to act as an introductory episode.
I like the idea of just picking up at the start of Moffat's run. I was wondering though - the library two-parter from series 4 is sortof important as an introduction to River Song and is also good, does it make sense to try and work it in somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I felt like the Flesh and Stone two-parter ruined the core conceit of the angels and couldn't really forgive it for that. Maybe it would've worked better with a new set of aliens that had the new powers the angels gained.

New York kindof got it back but the Statue of Liberty thing was just so stupid

Jerusalem posted:

If I was recommending somebody to start at The Eleventh Hour, I'd say watch the whole of season 5 and then if they felt like it jump back and check out the Library 2-parter. If anything it might encourage people to check out more Tennant, which in turn might encourage them to check out more Eccleston.

I used to recommend Rose as a great starting point, and it still is as far as the RTD era goes. But it already feels like a bygone era of television despite only being 9 years old. Compared to the production values on the current show it's kind of incredible how quickly it has aged.
That makes sense, I guess season 6 is when River starts to really become important.

I was thinking of including the library two-parter not because it's the best or most representative RTD episode (although I think it's pretty good).

CobiWann posted:

I'd actually suggest the Sontaran two-parter over Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead. Set on Earth, more action packed, and a little less weird than the Donna-in-the-computer scenes. Plus introducing someone to River Song without a little more Ten experience seems off somehow.
It probably wouldn't work as a first episode, but I think it's a pretty important episode for establishing the relationship between 11 and River so I'd like to to go in somewhere on an otherwise Moffat-only run.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the big problem with Forest of the Night is that it never really went anywhere.

adhuin posted:

Problem is that in this metaphor, the Planet plays the part of a Woman and the 3 characters decide against her wishes, what's best for her Uterus Moon.

A Very poor choice/use of a metaphor.
If you think it was this then they correctly decided not to get involved. But I don't think an (inanimate) egg ever can be analogous to a pregnancy nor do I think they intended for it to be so.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Oh so the bomb represents the fetus and stopping the explosion represents having an abortion?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I kindof wish they didn't do the final twist. It felt cheap and made me dislike the earlier awakenings a bit too. Still a decent special though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think this episode doesn't have the problem that most other dream episodes do (including Amy's Choice) - there are actual 'real life' stakes that are established fairly early, so you can't claim it matters less than any other Doctor Who episode.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The old Clara bit wouldn't necessarily imply everyone else had another layer too - dream worlds aren't real so you could just have two people falsely hallucinate waking up while the others genuinely awaken. The idea that one of his companions could go on to lead a normal and fulfilling life after parting from him actually makes sense as a comfort dream for The Doctor too.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The fact that The Doctor himself was apparently attacked in a volcano is strange too. Maybe someone plotted it or something.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Or is he??

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Matt Smith delivered that line well, it really came across more as intensely disappointed than arrogant in the way Tennant would have done it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't see how you could expect anything other than an A for an episode with a good emotional climax.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Someone posted this timeline thing a while back. It goes from the very start of the show up until season 7 of the revival. You can just select the revival doctors to see their bits.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20131119-doctor-who-travels-through-time

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the very end would actually be Listen, which might work out OK.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There were meant to be no other people left alive in Listen though?

To be fair if you just go by what Occ's already seen you mostly just get strangely ordered episodes and a few random out of place scenes. It's only when you get into Moffat's tenure that you start getting episodes shattered into incomprehensible fragments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like it because it's basically his 'look me up' bragging coming back to bite him.

• Locked thread