Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rannos22 posted:

Flatline. Though I'm pretty sure there was another decent episode this last season that I feel like I'm forgetting.

Edit: If you were turned off by the season and a half of the River Song Show I think now might be a good time to return since she hasn't been present at all thus far.

The season finale two-parter and Into the Dalek were pretty good. Forest of the Night was an utter piece of crap though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fil5000 posted:

Watched this at the cinema with my then three year old son. Me and my wife were in floods of tears while he was going "What's wrong mummy and daddy, the toys are happy!"

I swear there wasn't a dry eye in the house when I saw it at the cinemas :unsmith:

Jerusalem posted:

Speaking of Christmas Specials..... The Time of the Doctor.

Something I loved about that last speech is it's very obviously Matt Smith just breaking the fourth wall and talking to the audience as a final goodbye.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 26, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

My stepdaughter just saw the Matt Smith picture.

First, she now wants to see the new Terminator movie and I have to figure out if I can show her the first two.

Come along, Connor.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

It’s why I will never understand “hate watching.” Good television is worth discussing after the fact. Bad television deserves to be forgotten after the episode ends. Except, of course, for Timelash.

By-and-large I concur, but every once in a long while you find something so utterly awful that it fascinates.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bicyclops posted:

This is basically the reason that the Doctor can't take the sick woman to the weird catperson hospital or do any number of things, because he can't screw with history when the plot demands it, and that's totally fine. "Fixed Points" is as good an "explanation" as it needs and a monster of the week show needn't get bogged down in the moral conundrums of rewriting history or pulling people out of their times every episode.

The Christmas Carol episode is great. Doctor Who is just the kind of show to showcase and celebrate the sentimental cliches of the original Dickens story and the time travel works nicely into the story. It's also acted well. It is the third best Christmas Carol adaptation, behind A Muppet Christmas Carol and the play adaptation I was in when I was eight years old and played Tiny Tim and other characters (which was obviously the best one).

I always took it as the same reason Four takes them into the future in Pyramids of Mars: They get to present day and it's a smoking wasteland because they didn't stop Sutekh in 1912. Incidentally though, I'm a big fan of The Christmas Carol too :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neowyrm posted:

wait, wait.

wait.

oh, god.

Wait, but that would make Rose the Doctor's daughter and :psyboom:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It was nice of them to directly point out the episode's inspirations. That's pretty much the only thing I enjoyed.

My favourite bit was them doing their damnedest to tell the kiddies that Santa isn't real for most of the episode.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Boogaleeboo posted:

They had Santa admit that and say what does it matter? Because....what does it matter if Santa isn't real? Santa still saved them. Who cares if he's just a fairytale, he's a pretty good one all told.

True, but when you're telling a story involving Santa to small kids, it seems kinda bad to write it as "SANTA ISN'T REAL AND EVERYONE KNOWS THIS AS COMMON KNOWLEDGE, WATCH EVEN THE DOCTOR TELL THE KIDDIES SANTA ISN'T REAL but he might be real in the end..."

(That's written for how the tone came across to me, not ranting)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Astroman posted:

I would not have a problem if this continues into the next season. :colbert:

I would be perfectly okay if each episode just had her popping in to make things a teensy bit worse before pissing off in her TARDIS :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Davros1 posted:

Well, we have our first knighted Doctor:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/12/john-hurt-awarded-knighthood.html

And Lucie BLEEDIN' Miller is an OBE

They gave one to Craig as well. Guess being the Doctor's flatmate has it's perks :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

It's so weird only really knowing John Hurt from Alien, and then going to his IMDB and going "holy crap, there's so much work of his I need to watch!"

Start with Spaceballs then :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I liked this one myself :allears:.

edit: Holy poo poo, this one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

There's something so sweet and sad about the Doctor listening to the bad guys' explanation of why they're doing what they're doing and then assuming that the reason they've trapped him is so they can get him to help them. Poor Doctor just can't comprehend that HE is the monster :unsmith:

I just love it for the realization that, to them, he is the most horrifying thing in the universe. They're just doing their normal everyday thing (for them at least) and suddenly this lone rear end in a top hat just drops in out of nowhere and kills entire swathes of their civilizations without warning. Can you blame them?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chokes McGee posted:

Pff, all these new sci-fi shows are just cribbing Doctor Who :rolleyes:

So , what you're saying is Doctor Who's on first?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bobkatt013 posted:

Tom the local pub is not your house.

He's bought so many pints over the years that they just gave up and gave him the deed to the place.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

Regarding the cracks in the universe erasing things, I think the question that everyone should be asking is "How did the ducks get erased?" Parents is obvious, but what about those ducks? Is there another crack in time at the bottom of the pool? Was Amelia just shoving random things into the crack and eventually moved up to ducks and neighborhood cats? Did one of her parents get new ducks for the pond after the Great Duck Blight of 2008? This is a vital question that demands a multipart episode to explain!

And if I may pitch a few episode titles for it:

The Ducks of Death
Time of the Drakes
The Pond of Evil

And, of course, Ducks of the Daleks.

Day of the Duckleks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DoctorWhat posted:

I can't get it to open. The BACK opens, but the clock face seems jammed. I don't want to break it, though. And I can hear it faintly, when I put my ear up against the glass when the back's open.

Are you sure it's broken? Have you actually tried opening it, or are you merely already certain that it's broken. Take another look, to be sure...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Angela Christine posted:

I wonder why they particularly wouldn't want to be cremated? The few hours of being in a really hot place would suck, but once your body is reduced to ash it shouldn't cause you anymore trouble, right? In the long run not much worse than being buried and maybe feeling your body slowly rot or turn to soap or whatever happens in modern sealed caskets. All of the options other than being sealed in one of those nice climate controlled water tombs are pretty terrible.

Presumably because then you'd be dead and gone. It's not a body anymore, it's just ash.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Angela Christine posted:

Nobody wants Gallifrey back.

Trenzalore proved that :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

josh04 posted:

Did people not like Last Christmas? I thought the reception for it here was pretty good.

It was alright (and It's actually a little bit of a shame the fake-out ending couldn't stick, because it would've been a great twist), but my only real problem with it was that if you're doing a Christmas special in what is fundamentally a family show, the bare bones of it shouldn't be the adults AND the Doctor casually stating that Santa isn't real to the kiddies watching at home.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

2house2fly posted:

It ends with the implication that Santa is real, just like every Christmas special that features him.

I know, I know. What bugged me about it was that even the Doctor's going "nope, not real, how absurd", through the whole episode when usually he's quite happily saying otherwise to that sort of thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

Ok, let me reverse the polarity of this chat...

It's smaller on the inside, 2/10.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeJF posted:

Rory Williams, Centurion Templar.

He must've killed a lot of Assassins in all that time :ohdear:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Trin Tragula posted:

How do you do? I see you've met my faithful handyman.

I see you shiver with antici-*Half-year season break*-pation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Emerson Cod posted:

I hope 6 regenerates to 7 partway through the story but has to disguise himself as 6.

I know it'll never happen, but I'd love to see a regeneration occur in the middle of an episode rather than at the end.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bicyclops posted:

I watched all of Star Trek last year and to be honest, I felt considerably less embarrassed by even the goofy episodes of TOS than the majority of TNG. It has some really good episodes in the middle and end but even then, the good stuff is sandwiched between like two mind-rape episodes a season.

I'd still rather watch The Twilight Zone, but it angers me too much that season 4 is never available on any streaming media and never will be.

Assuming you watched them in order, I feel sorry for you once you got past DS9 and into Voyager and Enterprise. Though I will admit Enterprise had that surprisingly good Mirror-Mirror two-parter in the last season.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MrL_JaKiri posted:

So you're saying Eccles is coming back this year?

Fine, fine, fine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

adhuin posted:

Agreed. All 10 episodes of the Season 8 were mostly great! :colbert:

Forest of the Night :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BSam posted:

Not that great at counting?

Evidently not :cripes:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

I always remembered the Valeyard as being a personification of the Doctor's negative aspects that he deliberately shunted off from himself inbetween regenerations. That's why the Valeyard was living a half-life, and why he wanted to steal the Doctor's future regenerations to give him an actual life/identity of his own.

It's been awhile since I watched Trial, but I'm pretty sure they outright say this, and people tended to just simplify things into the erroneous "He's a future regeneration of the Doctor" idea?

Edit: Yep, here we go:

The Master posted:

There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you. The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation.

I really don't see why anyone's getting up in arms over the thirteen-regen limit on the Valeyard anymore. It clearly says between the twelth and final regeneration, which frankly could be any time between now and when the sun actually goes into heat death.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rochallor posted:

We do have enough Masters now to do a multi-Master story! There's Jacobi, Simm, and now Gomez. But honestly, with how totally insane a one Master plan is, I don't know if anybody could write a non-lovely multi-Master episode.

A multi-Master story would just be an insane collection of backstabbing and inter-Master murders every two minutes, just for them all to turn up alive and well only to begin again immediately.

What am I saying, I totally want to see that! :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

So apparently Tom Baker sends people autographed photos of himself holding a pile of kittens.

Of COURSE he does.

Bicyclops posted:

Would you hand me the phone book? Now, let's see. Flip, flip. Flippity. Ah, who have we here? Mark. Looks like Mark is in for a little surprise. Get the envelope ready!

Are we sure that Tom Baker isn't Santa Claus?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

That would have been the only casting choice even better than Nick Frost :3:

Who said anything about as a casting choice?...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gordon Shumway posted:

I'm bored so I'm watching Torchwood on Netflix. Wish me luck.

I give him until Cyberwoman until he taps out. Any takers?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

I'll bite. Having never seen the show before, where should I begin?

With the show :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gordon Shumway posted:

Joke's on you, I skipped that episode and made it through most of the first series.

I call foul! Go back and watch it so we can enjoy your suffering! :argh:

Sydney Bottocks posted:

IIRC, they were used in either a Fifth Doctor or Sixth Doctor story (I want to say "Frontios" but don't recall 100% for sure).

Yup, it was the Fifth Doctor serial Frontios. I actually made a joke about it in the last thread about how Blake would be pissed to know the Federation survived to the end of the universe :v:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

So I watched part of Delta and the Bannermen during lunch, and...um...

...tell me that the crew didn't put green make up on an ACTUAL BABY?!?

Yup. They painted the baby green :munch:.

• Locked thread