Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Oxxidation posted:

Series Six...*steeples fingers*...also owned.
Please don't troll the Doctor Who thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I see a load of wrong people in here who don't think the Angels two-parter was great.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I liked Time Of The Doctor more when I rewatched it recently but it really does have too much plot crammed in. You don't need an origin story for the memory-proof Silence monsters! You don't have a dry conversation about all the plot points from the whole prior series over dinner! Why the hell is Tasha Lem not Madam Kovarian? The good bits are really good though, and I love him prancing about shooting Daleks down with regeneration energy despite how dumb that is. I still think it's worse than The End Of Time but not by as much as I used to.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Hell yeah Tom Baker gets the sex number :fap:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I loved that, definitely Christmas Carol and the first time I think Moffat's come close to his first series. Did the Moffat thing of tapping into primal fears and actually managed to combine two, with the impossibility of knowing for sure it's a dream (the final scene was unsettlingly ambiguous) and the monsters which kill you if you think about them. Santa just owned every scene he was in, and Clara's fake ending felt sweet and sad and kind of appropriate that the Doctor would miss out on her life like she missed out on his last year. I did like that they got a happy ending though, hopefully Clara will remain entertaining next year and when Jenna Coleman does finally leave she'll hopefully get an ending which isn't super sad and tragic, because it gets wearying when those happen every single time a companion leaves.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

It's worth pointing out that the Doctor isn't intentionally being a jerk. There have been a few scenes this series where he clearly thinks he is acting the same way he always has, and is trying to be helpful, and is obviously confused as to why people are annoyed with him.
And other times when he's straight-up been like his old self, like banishing the 2D monsters and rhapsodising to the Master about how Love Is A Promise.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I wish he'd at least get some story arc lessons. His idea of developing a plot over a season is for Missy to show up and wave at the camera every couple of episodes.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I rewatched it and it did seem a lot more like the actual happy ending was rushed in later. Clara seemed more nostalgic for the Tardis than you'd expect if it had just been a few weeks or months since she was there last, and her not wanting to wake up makes a lot more sense if she's dying of old age anyway. I still like it in its current form as a final dream from Santa to get them back together though.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The scene with Santa doesn't necessarily take place immediately after the last scene with Clara, they're separated by the beginning of the credits.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The initial dreamcrab attack took place during the unspecified amount of time covered by the first section of the credits before Santa started knocking on the Tardis door. As for where, it was a place with a volcano.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

When they wake up the dream crabs die. Turkey leg guy died because the zombie dreamcrab clones getting you symbolises your brain giving up and no longer being able to fight back.

Edit: Doctor and Clara needing an extra dream to get out kind of makes sense because it was just them at the start of the episode as well.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 29, 2014

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Maybe, and maybe the Doctor and Clara never woke up either. Tangerine on the windowsill at the end!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Man, remember when Moffat thought that being rushed and terrible and making no sense were bad things in stories? :v:

Beast Below is a bit sloppier than Eleventh Hour plotwise but it pulls together a bunch of emotional bits very effectively I thought. I've rewatched it a bunch of times and it still makes me tear up a bit at the end. I think Moffat's a lot better than Davies at establishing a loving bond between the main characters which isn't romantic, and Beast Below was the first time that really came across.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

He's not really portrayed as being in the right when he says that(this is right after he says that what he's going to do is so bad that he's going to have to pick a different name) so I'm fine with it. Also it's just a pretty messed up situation in general.

Also I'll give Moffat this, he starts foreshadowing his poo poo way in advance, intentionally or not. His second episode in charge and he mentions the Doctor's name being something he chose that he might not feel entitled to call himself if he does something horrible enough.

Edit: I was going to mention in the other thread as well, but figured it'd be too spoilery, that "basically run" isn't just a cool way to end the first episode but another step towards the finale, where the Doctor gives a big showy speech to all his enemies about how many times he's beaten them, and they agree and lock him away in the universe's most secure prison.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 6, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

As far as I remember the first time the old Daleks reappeared was Wedding Of River Song when the Doctor loots the data core or whatever off a broken one.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

CobiWann posted:

When my nine year old looks at me and says "eggs don't work that way," the science, even if it's more fiction than fact, is just plain wrong and a drag on the episode.

Kill the Moon is this show's answer to Threshold in terms of scientific accuracy.

Ideally it would have had a line like "but eggs don't work that w-" "it's not an EGG egg, it's an ALIEN egg" to minimise nerdrage about how eggs work.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

jng2058 posted:

And the big problem, as noted by others, is what to do with episodes like "The Pandorica Opens" or "The Bells of St. John" that span multiple timelines? Watch the episode in chunks and hope you remember the 1207 stuff with the Doctor when you get the other half of the conversation from Clara's point of view in 2013?

Stuff like this was why I enjoyed watching a chronological edit of Lost. There's an episode where a guy's consciousness is flashing between 2004 and 1996, and in the chronological edit you see his 1996 self figuring out that he'll die if he doesn't stop it and begging someone for help, then it cuts away and you have to wait like 50 episodes to find out what happens.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

ashpanash posted:

I loved the before-the-credits reveal in Pandorica. What a mind gently caress.

The last ten minutes of that episode are among my favourite bits of the whole show.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Doctor Who is saved, but at what cost?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I was kind of surprised to see the references to it in the reviews just because it's a reveal in the final episode, but it's certainly obvious in retrospect. Brings back fond memories of the entire Doctor Who thread on the forum I frequented at the time calling the end of series 6 and then dismissing it as too obvious.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Like this poo poo. Don't loving do this.

Haha, I was just being silly about everyone loving Rory so much and didn't intend it to be a reference to where his story goes at all. I'll edit it away.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I thought the vampire episode was also a blight originally, but it was better when I rewatched it. Don't know if I can be bothered rewatching the silurian one because it's poor across two whole episodes.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Sex? How predictable. You're not really into Wookieepedia until you've read their article on pants, or been unsettled by how few entries are in the list of Star Wars stories featuring eyes. Or researched the back story of Unidentified Man With Pig Nose

Edit: Beaten! Gas!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Rewatching Amy's Choice, I just realised it foreshadows the rest of series 5 with Rory dying and the Tardis getting blown up. Not really significant but kind of neat.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I like Danny and I kind of wish he'd gotten a better story.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I assume people loved it since it was so great, I was just saying I included it as part of the season as a whole as opposed to its own separate thing like other Christmas Specials have felt like.
It's a surprisingly close retread of the Amy's Choice plot but I'm willing to forgive it that because the good bits were so so good. There were a bunch of times in series 8 where I was thinking "this is almost as good as series 5, if only..." but Last Christmas was just straight up as good as series 5.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It ends with the implication that Santa is real, just like every Christmas special that features him.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

That reminds me, probably my biggest irritation with Moffat is his habit of skipping decades at a time. The Doctor spent more time dossing around doing nothing at the end of series 6 than he spent with every revival companion combined, and then he spent most of his entire lifespan on Trenzalore making toy trains with hyperdrives. I think he was hanging out being glum for years before meeting Clara too. The story really doesn't need for there to be these vast time skips and I don't understand why he put them in there, considering "a long time passed offscreen" is something that's incredibly difficult to communicate in a satisfying way in a TV show at the best of times. I did like old Matt Smith at the end of Time Of The Doctor though, so maybe it was worth it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Rochallor posted:

That's not necessarily a dynamic that has to continue, however. And it's pretty general as far as things go. I mean, it generally describes both Series 1 and 8, but the nature of those relationships is totally different.

And what's wrong with Moffat writing a female Doctor? The reaction to Missy and Clara this season (in this thread, anyway) has been pretty great.

While Moffat did a decent job with Missy and Clara this series, I'm still not confident about the idea of him writing a female Doctor based on the entirety of his previous writing career.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

That review finally justifies the key throwing dream sequence for me. I was annoyed by that initially because it went on for so long but doesn't ever get mentioned again; Moffat being Moffat I was expecting the whole dream patch thing to be setup for something later on but it was just something that happened. It works better in retrospect as a sort of microcosm of the episode- Missy in control the whole time but pretending not to be, winding the Doctor up and seeing what happens.

I read an interview with Moffat where he said he was really proud of the line "do you think I care so little for you that betraying me would make any difference?" because it's the perfect way to say "I love you" that Clara and Danny never found. I don't know if I'd call it perfect but I do think it's a very sweet line, especially coming from Capaldi's gruff rear end in a top hat Doctor.

It is kind of weird that the whole first episode of the two-parter is spent exploring what turns out to be a bunch of rubbish made up by the villain. But then again, you could say the same thing about The Pandorica Opens and I loved that episode, so I can't really criticise Dark Water for it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

There's a few "Now he's dead forever" posts and it annoys me because it was clear even at the time that resolving the cracks thing would end up with Rory being brought back somehow. Speaking of, I hadn't watched that bit since it was first on so I was pleasantly surprised by the Doctor saying stuff like "he's still alive in your mind" he was literally trying get her to will him back into existence!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

It really wasn't.

Did you also think the series would end with the Tardis exploding and destroying the universe?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

He probably won't see it coming when it actually happens because the actual circumstances are so crazy, so there'll still be the thrill of discovery. The main thing is that nobody spoils the Doctor's reaction :allears:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I was rolling with it up to the end of A Good Man Goes To War, but then the instant Mels regenerated into River I knew the wheels had fallen off the Moffatmobile.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

That one was annoying because the plot didn't even progress at all. Amy and Rory just mention the Doctor dying, maybe Amy sees Kovarian's face in a wall, on with the episode. Eventually a time-travelling robot full of tiny people had to warp in to actually move the drat plot along.

Man I'm looking forward to the other thread getting to series 6.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

docbeard posted:

In the end, I'm really pleased by Eleven's overall storyline, how he goes from, essentially, Time Lord Victorious to the sort of person who will sacrifice himself without question or hesitation to defend a small insignificant town in a war he neither can nor should ever win (I really liked Time of the Doctor, you guys, in spite of its flaws). Pleased enough that I'm more-or-less willing to forgive most of the missteps along the way. (gently caress The Doctor, The Widow, and the Dubious Message though.)
I warmed up a lot to Time Of The Doctor, I still think the overall plot is dumb but there are a load of individual great moments in it. In particular I went from hating the deus ex machina asspull of the Time Lords sending some regeneration energy through the Crack to absolutely loving the deus ex machina asspull of the Time Lords sending some regeneration energy through the Crack.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The DoctorWhat lore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Don't make fun of the guy's blood boils.

• Locked thread