Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

(Has anyone got that old "Donna does 'on the internet' with the words" gif that I always used to put here?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

"With the words"

Oh, yeah, I assumed he meant that she was forming the words with her mouth, but I can see how the rational, non-me world would determine it to mean the one with the little gif subtitles. Oh well.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

zekezero posted:

now I'm obsessed with what the words are.

She's saying "Pretty little satin bottoms."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My guy had problems with his mail and never got it, then got permabanned for scamming people, and he had gross opinions on Doctor Who, but I myself got some very nice DVD gifts, and recommend signing up if you can afford it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tch. Yesterday I found a penny in one of my pockets, so take that, people with signatures on things!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm one episode into Memory Lane and I hope that it lives up to its potential because so far it is very interesting.

I missed River chat, but the assumption that people think she's bad because of some hive mind is obnoxious. She's bad because she's Bernice Summerfield, a bizarre Mary Sue who by the end is at once the Doctor's weird, adopted daughter and girlfriend, so that they can have her recite weird poetry about when a good man goes to war and also have Matt Smith say "Yowza!" about her. She gets to be a Time Lord when the script wants her to be, she gets to be a naive villain when the scripts wants her to be and she gets to be the typical Doctor-worshipping companion when she wants to be.

The idea of a companion-esque character who the Doctor does not interact with in chronological order had a lot of potential and it was wasted on making River a boring, all-encompassing fanwank.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I looked at the Torchwood audios and of course, noted not very good Big Finish writer, Joseph Lidster, wrote the first one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

His Doctor Who episodes seem fairly inoffensive at worst, too, to be honest, it's his Torchwood work people probably hate him for. I haven't seen it, so I can't really judge if any of the problems in his work are universal or not.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Timby posted:

Outside of the Silurian two-parter.

Christ that was dire.

Even that one just falls victim to the major problem with Silurian stories which is that they are all exactly same story, and at least this time they had the excuse that they were attempting to update it for the revival. It very definitely should not have been a two-parter and it could have used a lighter touch, but it's not awful.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Christmas Carol one is my favorite Doctor Who Christmas episode, but I am admittedly a huge sucker for A Christmas Carol.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I didn't think 42 or The Power of Three were that bad (granted, I haven't seen 42 in a pretty long time), and Dinosaurs on a Spaceship just had the same problems everything in that half-season did.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

I'm torn about that episode, because on the one hand, I don't feel like it lived up to its stated/potential premise at all, but David Bradley and those Mitchell & Webb robots were great, at least.

I guess if I consider it, it is definitely elevated by the performances more than the writing or the direction.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I liked the Snowmen. Looking back, it suffers from the "Who is Clara, besides the Impossible Girl?" problem that 7.5 had, but it's still a good episode.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Noxville posted:

All the Christmas specials are just varying degrees of terrible.

Everything is various degrees of terrible because we live in a cold horrible world, akin in its horribleness to dystopias featured in Doctor Who, but there is no space alien coming to save us or magic box in which we can flee, so we are forced to live in a world run by people who make Daleks look nice.

Some of that crushing despair can be alleviated by watching a few of the Doctor Who Christmas specials, though, some of which are good by any definition that one can use the word "good" to describe this flavor of television, in my opinion, as well as looking forward to the next one, which has Santa Claus, who is also not real or coming to save us.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

sunsweet posted:

A few months ago, I decided to watch everything in order. Hartnell was really good, Troughton was absolutely great, but Pertwee's not really clicking for me. Should I just give him time? I'm watching The Silurians and there's silly Godzilla costumes and things like that, but it's not feeling like the same sort of fun. For what it's worth, my favourite serials are The Web Planet and The Mind Robbers. I like surreal, fantastical things.

A lot of Pertwee is definitely James Bond chase scenes and rubber masks, but I would stick it out until Roger Delgado shows up as the Master, at least. That way you can see Inferno, as well, and move on to his next companion. In terms of the more surreal stuff, A Carnival of Monsters is definitely up there, and you might also like the two Peladon stories in terms of the fantastical. Both The Time Monster and Planet of the Spiders are definitely in that vein, but neither are particularly great in my opinion. Of course, in the end, it's up to you; you'll definitely have to trek through a lot more rubber masks to go around.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Please don't lifeshame, Cobiwann :(

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

You can do Other Things while listening to Big Finish, though. That's how I've listened to SO GODDAMN MUCH OF IT.

Big Finish: making everyone's morning commute more bearable since the turn of the millenium.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

I swear to god he's trolling us sometimes

Hey, man, if that one's the good thread, then just post there. :)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I missed the sign-up for Secret Santa this year, but I am looking forward to witnessing all of the thread denizens receive holiday cheer. :)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I really love Vincent and the Doctor, despite its flaws (it is a bit too long and the monster is silly looking). It deals with mental illness with humanity and anyone who's lost somebody to suicide knows that horrible feeling that Amy gets at the end. :smith: Seeing Vincent realize that his work is appreciated is a really great moment and Tony Curran plays it well enough to make up for a lot of the fluff at the beginning.

Plus, it has Bill Nighy in it, albeit in a tinier role than he probably deserves.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hewlett posted:

I still remember the BBC Suicide hotline blurb over the credits in the original airing of that episode - it felt weird, and almost in bad taste.

I don't think including a suicide hotline in an episode very clearly about suicide is in bad taste. People who are in that dark a place often consider it when the topic is brought up, so providing what little help a TV show can provide afterward isn't exactly sensationalism.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

So far, I, Davros has not been my particular cup of tea. It just often feels like it's spinning its wheels.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Davros1 posted:

While the first two eps might feel that way because it explores what Davros wants, and what he could be if he could just be allowed to pursue his dreams, ep 3 is when it really picks up when he realizes that he has to play the politic game whether he wants to or not . . .

. . . and then comes ep 4.

I, Davros is one on my favorite series. Though for ep 3 to make real sense, you do have to listen to the main range story "Davros" for the plot with Shan.

Ah, good to know. That's why I stick it out! Every season has its growing pains!

After The War posted:

Bicyclops, how is that you and I keep up on the same schedule? I plowed through I, Davros over the weekend and I enjoyed it way more than I was expecting. I listened to episode 3 before 2 accidentally and that helped somehow... it broke up the story and pacing a little better and you didn't get all the political machinations in one clump. Mostly (besides Terry Malloy, who is fantastic as always) it was the atmosphere that sold it, and the gradual descent of Kaled society from something resembling modern society to the armed camp of Genesis. And the creep factor was in full effect, especially episode 4's explanation for where Davros got the mutants for the original batch of daleks

As Davros1 (heh) said, it's an expansion on the flashback sequences in Davros. My only complain is the abandoning of the framing device at the end of episode 4. I liked the Daleks telling Davros how much they hated his story!

EDIT - Someone with a Colin Baker avatar needs to post next. We got a thing going!

Are you listening in release date order? It's likely that you and I have similar situations, maybe. :) I listen when taking the train, walking or flying. I hear a lot more when I'm going grocery shopping or when I have to go back and forth between a few locations at work. You'll probably get ahead of me soon, because some of what made me move so quickly were errands that involved miles of walking for the wedding, as well as a lot of flying, so I'll probably be down to 1-2 stories a week shortly (although I do have another couple of long flights coming up).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

After The War posted:

Haven't we compared spreadsheets at some point? I've been going back and catching up on all the non-main range ones so that I can do proper release date from here on. Started Eighth Doctor Adventures today in fact, and... it's interesting what aspects of the revived series they thought were important enough to incorporate. CONSTANT MUSIC is one, a more "Oncoming Storm/Let's Kiss Us Some Daleks" Doctor than we're used to from Eight, and a whining modern day twentysomething companion. They... don't know how to write dialogue for modern real world people, do they?

It'll pick up eventually, I know, but I already miss the McGann/India Fisher chemistry :sigh:.

Ah, you're way ahead of me, then! I'm interspersing Main Range with all of the other stuff, so I'll fall even further behind. But hoo, yeah the constant music thing is something I definitely noticed. I assume they get a little better at balancing it later on. Companions also do seem to complain a little more. It's weirdly more Teganesque than it is revival (which must have been what they were going for) and where it's most noticeable is with Peri. I actually think it would make Peri considerably more bearable except that Nicola Bryant, a bit more than some of the other actors in my opinion, struggles with both her accent and with pretending to be younger than she is. It works okay for Charlie and Hex, strangely, but it's supremely irritating for C'Rizz. Either way, I do think Big Finish gets better overall, and their flaws in the middle of their stuff are way less grating their flaws in the early years.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CherryCat posted:

I've been working on a Tom Baker scarf on and off for the last couple of years and I finally finished it. Behold!

Next up is the Season 18 scarf, as soon as I find the right wool for it.

There's something horribly wrong with this picture!

No jacket! :haw:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

Holy loving poo poo :laffo:

The only thing that would make it better is if shortly before electrocuting her, the silly monster shouted "GARBAGE DAY!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I am almost 100 percent sure that little bits of the incidental music (the bits that are actually a piano and not someone just blaring bass) in the audio drama No Man's Land are straight up just cribbed from John Williams's soundtrack for the hit holiday movie, Home Alone. It's really weird.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

RaythFalstar posted:

Scherzo here. Nope, no idea why either. :downs:

A very good audio. Not a very good first audio.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

surc posted:

This seems like the perfect time to ask. If I'm watching through the original series in order, when should I start throwing the audios in there? Or are they really a different enough take that I should just treat them as their own, and start listening whenever I get the urge?

You can probably pick up the Eighth Doctor at any time, since he didn't really have much of a TV presence. His stories also go in order and form "seasons" kind of, so they're almost like their own separate thing. I advise starting on the Main Range and buying the Eighth Doctor ones specifically, since they're much, much cheaper for the early stories, which have some thread favorites such as Chimes of Midnight.

The bulk of the audios in the Main Range are the Fifth, Sixth and Seventh Doctor, so in my opinion, as long as you're watching through the TV show, you might as well at least get to their serials so you can get a feel for their companions before picking those up. Six's run, particularly with Evelyn, is very different from his TV stuff, so that's also probably a safe bet.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I wouldn't try to slip the audios into order, just watch the original series and then listen to the audios afterwards. They're produced to take place between certain televised storied but they were produced long after the classic series had finished, and it's pretty clear that they're being written with the "whole story" already of these various characters already known.

In some cases they'd even weaken the impact of particular stories, in my opinion - I'm thinking mostly of The Caves of Androzani, where the Doctor's actions re: Peri took place when she was basically a complete stranger to him. The audios establish a far deeper rapport between the characters, which weakens the rather eye-opening resolve of the Doctor in that story in my mind.

Yeah, this is true. You can pick up the Eighth Doctor stuff, but wait until you've finished watching a particular Doctor's TV run before picking up their audio stories otherwise.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't dislike Murray Gold. He has one setting: bombastic, big emotion! That setting works for most of New Who, though. The Eleventh Doctor's theme gets stuck in your head and they did play it a bit too often, but that isn't his fault.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Murray Gold's whole 'bombastic' thing was a lot less after Rusty left, so I have a feeling a fair bit of that was Rusty poking him with a stick and shouting BIGGER! BIGGER! I really liked what he's done during Moffat's run, though he's a bit repetitive and overly reliant on leitmotifs.

I don't know, I think the catchy and lovably Matt Smith theme is his most bombastic. It's good, they just overused it a little. Talking about it will now make it stuck in my head, and I will be humming it all night.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

Weirdly, for a life long fan and amazing actor Capaldi feels like he's taking the longest to find his feet. He still doesn't really feel like a fully realized Doctor to me, though he does on occasion have moments where he does.

I haven't felt that way at all about him. I think the writing had him trying to figure himself out for awhile and not always well in the first half of the season, but his actual portrayal has been pretty clear to be.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well, Year of the Pig certainly is... something so far. The inspector, the titular pig and Colin all have similar voices, so it's a bit strange to parse at times. I guess I'm still early enough in the story that it's difficult to say. It's pretty bizarre to hear a First Doctor companion actor (Maureen O'Brien, who played Vicki) come back as the absolutely bonkers character, Miss Bultitude.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

So, I started listening to Circular Time and was quite pleased to immediately recognize Hugh Fraser, of Hercule Poirot fame, and then when the second "season" started, I was even more pleased to realize that David Warner was doing one of the voices! I had to get to Wikipedia pretty quickly to confirm that I wasn't hearing things! The stories themselves are fun, although they go by a bit quickly for my tastes. Still, better than any of them droning on forever.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Night Thoughts

I think my problem, more than the Doctor's moral conundrum, is that each plot point gets telegraphed by foreshadowing about ten minutes ahead of when the revelation comes. It makes the story feel a bit padded at times. Lizzie Hopley does an okay job, but there's only so many times they can do the creepy rabbit voice doing its sort of call and answer before it stops being creepy and starts to grate.

It does have a great atmosphere throughout most of it and uses its genre well. It makes a choice and sticks with it, which is something I wish the revival would do a bit more often.

My commute this morning brought me to the fourth part of Circular Time, and I'd just like to note that it is really, really rude of the eight hour workday to interrupt me in the middle of a very good audio drama.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The best part about the old thread is the person who wants them to go back to the rubber suits.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Close!

Seasonal depression, actually.

Just wrap up warm and sit in front of a really nice full spectrum bulb, firing at full bloom. You could call yourself... Brightcoat! :haw:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

"Circular Time" may be my favorite Fifth Doctor story (stories) for a lot of reasons, and the voice actors they chose are only a small part.

DoctorWhat posted:

Winter is very good and very special. I can't wait for you to hear it.

Both Autumn and Winter were really good stories. The former is one of the few times a companion experienced romance that didn't make me cringe. He was an irritating goofball, but it's kind of okay. It was what Nyssa needed at the time. Winter reminded me of the end of (spoilers both for the story and an old novel) Passage, by Connie Willis, in that it was a humane way of looking at a person's thoughts as they die, with the added Doctor Who twist of there being a villain involved . I love the implication that the Fifth Doctor not only died to save Peri, but is also choosing to continue to live, and to travel through "circular time," so that he can save her.

I also heard the first part of Blood of the Daleks. It's interesting how much they're going for the feel of the new show with Eighth Doctor Adventures. I'm not sure how I feel about Lucie yet, but she definitely has potential. I keep wondering if they'll explain what happens to Charlie and C'Rizz and do a sort of lead-in to the Lucie situation in the monthly range. I guess I'll find out! :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

THE HYOO-MAN WILL SURRENDER TO THE MIGHT OF ULF-RICK STORRRMCLOAK!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!!

Your Destruction has increased to 99.

• Locked thread