Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
I have often criticized Moffat's run on the show, for various reasons, and I still stand by those criticisms. Under his direction I have completely gone off the show and haven't watched an episode since that one with the dinosaurs or whatever. With one exception.

That exception is "Day of the Doctor" and I will happily state that I give Moffat full credit for making it a wonderful, joyous celebration of the show's history. Sure, it was nonsensical in parts, but it was the sort of fun nonsense a multi-Doctor episode should be. It pushed all my fanboy buttons and I'll happily take my hat off to Moffat for it. :)

(it also helps that he preceded it with "Night of the Doctor", which gave Paul McGann another go at portraying the Doctor on TV, which he did a wonderful job of. Also that Moffat had just wonderful things to say about both McGann and Big Finish in the interview that followed. I don't always like Moffat but in this case he was truly a class act)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

DoctorWhat posted:

Dude, Series 8, bar a couple of stumbles, has been a vast improvement and is well worth-watching. Moffat at his Series 5-style best.

Quite honestly I think Series 5 was, on reflection, rather overrated and I'm not really likely to revisit the series as it stands currently under Moffat's direction. I'll just bide my time until he finally departs.

(he's never going to leave, is he :ohdear:)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

After The War posted:

And this was at the tail end of the last thread, but I only caught up last night. For US Goons, Red Dwarf has an additional tie to Doctor Who in that it was often tagged on after a "movie-style" serial (usually an hour and a half) to make it a full two hours. Our local station, Maryland Public Television called this sci-fi programming block "The Zone" even after they had dropped Blake's 7 because they always ended it with Jack Horkheimer, Star Hustler. :3:

The BBC put up a page of actors who have appeared on both Doctor Who and Red Dwarf, and there are more than I'd realized. Mark Williams, sure, he's hard to miss, but the lady who sang the theme song?
http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2013/11/22/doctor-dwarf/

I watched DW on Chicago PBS station WTTW (or as it used to be said in their "Man in the street"-style station IDs: "WTTW, Channel 11, in Chicago! :haw:"), and as such have many happy memories of Sunday nights during the 1980s: comedies at 11 and 11:30 PM (stuff like Monty Python, Blackadder, Whose Line, Dave Allen at Large, Fawlty Towers, etc.), then DW at midnight, and then afterwards another British comedy (usually The Two Ronnies, tho sometimes they'd air another Python episode). After that we'd usually get the "underground/indie" film-type shows (I mainly remember Image Union, which mostly showed offbeat films and stuff by Chicago-area filmmakers; and Alive From Off Center, which drew from a more global range of films and such). Good times. :)

Also they used to show Blakes 7 during the week; I think it aired Monday thru Thursday, late enough in the schedule that it was immediately followed by the aforementioned Jack Horkheimer. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Davros1 posted:

I can. It's a photo from 2010 when Karen was coming out of the studio after recording VO for a Who video game, and Sophie was going in to read several stories for BF's "Short Trips" range. Apparently Karen was ecstatic to learn that the woman coming in was Ace, and demanded that photo be taken. Sophie felt horrible because she had come straight from working out (and looked a mess)

Karen autographed the shirt Sophie's wearing, by the way.

It reminds me of the time when Sophie bumped into a post-DW Eccleston once, and at first he was polite but reserved, thinking she was just another fan of the show. When he found out she'd actually played Ace back in the 1980s, she said his manner changed completely and he was super thrilled to meet her (though he did decline her offer to come along to some DW conventions/cruises). :allears:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
All DW Christmas stories are cack because the Doctor shouldn't be celebrating Christmas, IMHO :colbert:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

So not Merry Christmas to all of us at home then

That was a Christmas wish from Bill Hartnell :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

CobiWann posted:

There are about a dozen pics of a young Nicola Bryant I could post right here as a rebuttal to your post as a counterargument to stay asleep, but no, I shall refrain.

No, please do. :allears:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

RodShaft posted:

If we're having John Hurt talk, this needed to go here.

John Hurt IS Windsor Davies IN "It Alien't Half Hot, Mum" :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

DoctorWhat posted:

That's an incredibly deep cut. Respek.

(chestburster pops out of Little Lofty's chest)

"Oh dear. How sad. Never mind."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

DoctorWhat posted:

So that's why I rage against "suspension of disbelief": because so many people seem to be so bad at it that they ought to try approaching media from an angle that they might get more out of.

What in the good god are you talking about

E: I mean, I've seen some absolutely amazing try-hard efforts to defend some of the dumber ideas in sci-fi in general and NuWho in particular, but basically saying "people just aren't suspending their disbelief correctly" is one of the most out-there ones I've ever seen. Why not just post "just turn off your brain and enjoy it" while you're at it.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 26, 2015

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

DoctorWhat posted:

I don't want people to turn off their brains. I want them to put them to better use. I get frustrated by surface-level critiques and nit-picks because there's so many other ways, far more interesting ways, to critique and analyze art. And when it comes to "scientific accuracy" in Doctor Who, it's all nitpicks.

Sorry, but this is complete nonsense. When I watch DW, I am already hugely suspending my disbelief at just accepting the basic premise (an immortal, shapechanging alien travels through time and space having wild adventures in a blue box that is bigger on the inside than the outside). If anything, it's even more important that the writers get the more "mundane" scientific details at least in the same neighborhood as "accurate", because if they don't, it ends up taking a person out of the show when they go "man that is such bullshit" when a readily verifiable scientific fact that they know to be true is ignored/shat upon without any plausible explanation other than "well it's just a science fiction fantasy show, whaddya expect" :colbert:

You are still basically making the "turn your brains off" argument here, it's just that you're claiming the brains should only be turned off when it comes to scientific accuracy, in order that DW can be better "appreciated" somehow.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm never going to find scientific inaccuracy in Doctor Who grating. It's not going to "break my immersion", because I don't "immerse" myself in the ways other people do. I immerse myself in the cinematography, the reiterated iconography, the flaunted falseness and affected artificiality. I am, and have been for a very long time, acutely aware of the artificiality of fiction and of the deliberateness of storytelling. I've been paying attention to metatexts ever since I watched The Wizard of Oz as a little kid and realized the symbolism of the switch to color. BBC America's weird advert-squeezing framerate shenanigans piss me off far more than the mass/energy dilemmas of the moonegg.

I guess that perspective isn't natural for everyone.

Holy poo poo, get over yourself. :rolleyes:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

DoctorWhat posted:

Hey, chill out. That's absolutely not what I was expressing. This isn't about me. I didn't want this to be about me.

There are loads of things that I want to be about me, yes; otherwise I wouldn't post so much. But this isn't one of them. This is me, responding to a question in the most sincere way I can, trying to articulate a position that I've clearly not been expressing very well.

The problem is that you are telling people that they are not appreciating DW the way you think it should be appreciated. It's not how you're saying it, it's what you're saying in the first place.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

CobiWann posted:

Ok, let me reverse the polarity of this chat...

I don't like what you're doing here. I don't feel like I have a lot of outs. [/achewood_reference]

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

CobiWann posted:

Lord knowns Cena is ready to regenerate into Finn Balor.

I just had a vision of Cena going "It's the end...but the moment has been prepared for" and then the Watcher is revealed to be Roman Reigns. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Dabir posted:

From the other side of the same quarry, usually.

That reminds me of the anecdote where Tom Baker wanted to either do a cameo on B7 or have Gareth "Blake" Thomas (one of his old buddies) do a cameo on DW, walking past each other in a corridor and exchanging greetings. "Morning, Roj." "Morning, Doctor." :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

The_Doctor posted:

Were the Federation trooper helmets not used in Who at some point?

IIRC, they were used in either a Fifth Doctor or Sixth Doctor story (I want to say "Frontios" but don't recall 100% for sure).

• Locked thread