Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

So I spend my days writing weirdo niche poo poo for Windows Mobile. Not anything modern like Windows Phone but iPaq style Windows loving Mobile.

To make a long story short, the industry has finally woken up and is making some new hardware that is compatible with iOS and Android! Hooray!

I know the basics of Android. I've made a few cool things as tests/prototypes. I've never even owned an iOS device.

What we're debating is whether or not we want to go the Xamarin route. We'd likely want to have both an Android and iOS application but we kind of think the big popular platform for our users is going to be iPads.

I just don't know enough about Xamarin to see if it's worthwhile. I actually downloaded it in 2012 to play around with and it broke my Eclipse install :(

-What are your experiences using Xamarin?
-Did it really make coding for both environments easier?
-Did your users like the end product.
-What are the limitations?
-Would you recommend it?

C# is my main thing. I'm comfortable with Java. I have never bothered with Objective-C. I don't think learning Obj-C would be a hindrance but I guess I'm trying to benefit the pros of not learning a language and being able to go strait in and make apps for both operating systems versus the pros of writing specifically for each device.

So please share your Xamarin experiences and knowledge!

Note to mods: I made this thread because there is some sprinklings of Xamarin in the .NET thread, the Android thread and I think the IOS thread and thought a unified thread would be a good idea. If it's not, I apologize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread