Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
It's Great Cave Offensive, but I'm open to wrong opinions as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Does anyone think it's anything other than Great Cave Offensive, like I wasn't even aware this was a debate.

Milky Way Wishes is really good too.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Looper posted:

Why hasn't yoyo been in more games?

Yoyo was a product of the 90s so take it up with global culture at large I guess

Bobnumerotres posted:

kirby and the amazing mirror is that idea expanded to a full game and it's pretty loving cool

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror is the second best Kirby game right behind Superstar imhio (in my humble imp op.).

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

why would you link the ds version of that track, ds has a pussy rear end synth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwXbfSk8yAc

The DS remake's soundtrack was disappointingly tinny, and I also found the sprite work to be very wanting, same with the minigames. Also I think they made it so that Plasma would lose charge from the max level over time? I mean the additions are good enough that it's more than okay that the updates are eh, but am I imagining things or were there a lot of little weird choices made?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

The problem with Dyna-blade is that its gimmick of a World Map doesn't really work with such a short game.

Pretty much this, if it had more time to really be a full game instead of just a transitional one then it would have been a lot more fun because unlocking the training zones were very neat and it was fun to have an endless stream of mooks to suplex

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

i am pretty sad that the new claymation kirby game is going to be a drawing game instead of a traditional one. im sure it'll be good but...my kirby fix :(

I'm surprised there hasn't been anything in the way of a Kirby fangame community in the same way that "Metroidvania" is now I guess a subgenre. The only other game I can think of that does the whole "copy your enemies' powers" thing is Brave Fencer Musashi back on the PS1 (which you should play) and even then it's only sorta the same mechanic.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Talkc posted:

Thank you for posting this. This is a good example of why Revenge of Meta Knight is better than Great Cave Offensive.

Great Cave Offensive is the story of Kirby being too stupid to not fall into a mine.

Revenge of Meta Knight is the story of Kirby being such an impossible force of nature, that when he is shot with one of the most powerful weapons in the universe.....

It just slows him down, for honestly just a level.

Revenge of Meta Knight is Part 1 of the story of how kirby is the most dangerous thing in his existence. He takes down the most powerful military vessel in Popstar. And mostly does it out of spite. At every turn Meta Knight sends his most powerful weapons after kirby. Heavy Lobster. Heavy Lobster can fire hyper beams, and kirby continually just fucks poo poo up.

In the end Meta Knight basically SACRIFICES himself, to run kirby off, just long enough to save his staff. Meta knight doesn't enter the last fight with winning in mind. He is there as a distraction so that people can abandon ship.

This leads me into Milky Way Wishes, or as i like to call it: How Kirby got tricked into loving up Space Time.

Kirby is powerful. Super loving powerful. We see this ALL the time.

In Milky Way Wishes. he is tricked into making the conditions for the perfect wish, by Marx. How does kirby do this?

By aligning the planets of Popstar's solar system, to bring out NOVA.

Nova is literally the Space Time clock of the Kirby universe. It is what keeps Space Time as Space Time. Kirby draws Nova out, and fucks it up internally just for the chance to make a wish.

Then Marx bounces in and steals the wish. TO become ALL POWERFUL. He wished a perfect wish to become the most powerful thing in the Dreamland universe.

And what is Kirby's response? He kills the (now) Most powerful being in Dreamland.

Which leads me to the Idea that King Dedede hating kirby, being a SMART thing. Kirby can gently caress poo poo up just by walking past it. King Dedede might not always be a benevolent ruler, but largely he just wants to keep Some status Quo. Which kirby largely is the opposite of. Eventually even Dedede realizes that opposing Kirby doesn't work. Which is why by the time we get to Return to Dreamland, they team up. You can't fight kirby and win. It just doesnt work.

Kirby is like some sorta god of entropy or destruction in his universe. And that is loving awesome :black101:

i wrote my undergrad thesis on video games and even i put less thought into them than this post does

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Talkc posted:

Which is funny. Considering you are Heavy Lobster.

bitch i know where my name comes from

e: Here's my new thesis on video games, I wrote it up today so it's still kind of a rough draft: Did you know that this silly game is actually... very serious? Shocking, I know, but here are 10 Weird Facts that prove that you are actually the Blood God of Popstar.

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 21, 2014

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

i like when people make posts like this rather than just tossing out gibberish up to a certain point

I'm a big fan of theorycrafting and general masturbatory video games talk (this is why I follow the Morrowind thread closely) but I just have such a low tolerance for "well it's pretty dark if you think about it" nonsense because literally every video game can be explained away by variations on "IT'S PURGATORY MAAAN" because no poo poo a game's characters exist in a static universe you are interacting with high level binary configurations dweebus

Lighthearted games like Pokemon and Kirby and most Nintendo franchises also have tons of this poo poo around them because even gamers that aren't open about it have to make sure their media has undercurrents of Dark Grittiness apparently, god forbid the cutesy game doesn't confront big questions in any direct or meaningful way

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Looper posted:

Gourmet Race is purgatory

Sign me up, chief

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

hey i wrote my undergrad thesis on my favorite thing too

except i somehow had to relate weed to linguistics so i did it on jamaican creole and got high with the exchange students

this owns

chill thesis buds :hfive:

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

The DS Zelda games are terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

darealkooky posted: