Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i got a "the new 3ds xl" because i am australian

some impressions comparing it to my old non-new 3ds xl:
  • its got a shiny finish to it and feels much better built and more expensive
  • you gotta unscrew the backplate and pry it off with the end of the stylus to change the micro sd card, its a real event but who cares you do it once
  • pikmin move your poo poo over from your old one, it's cute
  • the 'super stable 3d' feature works pretty good, even with glasses on. if you move suddenly it can take a sec to re-aquire you. but it's still the same 3d, so if it gave you headaches before its still going to give you headaches now. the difference is you don't get neckaches from having to hold your head exactly in one position
  • there's a real sharp edge seam on the edge of the bottom that might get irritating, but it will probably wear down over time?
  • the screens are exactly the same, don't notice them being any different other than the brightness adjusts. everything is still real big obvious pixels.
  • the speakers are way better but still pretty bad
  • the c stick is ok, you can move around the main menu with it if you don't have a game to play it with. it's ok. it doesn't move. its the same size and texture as a pencil eraser-top, with a concave top.
  • the home and the re-situated start and select buttons are way better, proper tactile buttons that are good to press
  • theres a little dent on the hinge where the c button goes, it makes the hinge look like someone scraped a bit off or something
  • the stylus is shorter, which is bad, and at the bottom now, which is also bad because you have to change your entire grip to get it out
  • the card is on the bottom now which is good because it stops arseholes from stealing your games while you play them
  • the power button is on the bottom. its is harder to hit but who cares because who uses the power button ever
  • the system does feel way faster doing poo poo - but still not instantaneous like an iphone - and loading websites isn't quite the joke it was
  • no power adaptor in the box lol, but the upside is the box is tiny, like the size of a betamax tape maybe

otherwise its still the comfortable, semi-portable handheld it always was, with probably the best library of games out there of any console. i feel very happy about my decision and would recommend it to people who like their 3ds (and/or have broken their 3ds) or think they might like a 3ds, because its a 3ds but better, except in the minor ways that its worse

if anyone has any questions this is a cool thread for them, i will answer them. or if you are australian or japanese feel free to share your own impressions and opinions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

how well does that c-nub thing work. i keep mentally thinking of it as an extension of those laptops from the late 90s that would have those weird nipple-mouse things in the middle of the keyboard, is it better than those

do you have an idea how good the battery is yet

farsel
Aug 4, 2007

which faceplate did you get

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

01011001 posted:

how well does that c-nub thing work. i keep mentally thinking of it as an extension of those laptops from the late 90s that would have those weird nipple-mouse things in the middle of the keyboard, is it better than those

i haven't tried it in full analogue mode yet, i've got mh3u for that so i'll report back. on the menu at least its like, stroking it like those nipple mouse trackpoints doesn't do anything, you gotta nudge it or tilt it with your thumb. it also has an edge around it with a concave top rather than a smooth convex ends with grips. so yeah, like a pencil eraser with the tip cut out a bit.

quote:

do you have an idea how good the battery is yet

nope just got home with it and charging it for the first time

farsel posted:

which faceplate did you get
the xl doesn't have those, which sucks. the bottom is fully removable though so they could make bottom plates. the top one, not so much. i got it in metallic black, which looks like a steel grey with a gloss over the top and subtle diagonal pinstripes. it looks strangely business-like.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

who would rip a game out of a system mid play on you, OP?

thats some cold low poo poo.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Did it come out with any games in Australia?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Real hurthling! posted:

who would rip a game out of a system mid play on you, OP?

thats some cold low poo poo.

no-one yet but i'm constantly paranoid about it

oh i should mention as well that the wireless switch is gone, which is fantastic because it would always turn itself off in my pocket and then i get no street passes

mdm posted:

Did it come out with any games in Australia?
you mean, packed in? no. but the new pokemon release today, with the system. i didn't buy it because i haven't finished x yet.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Why is the stylus not on the side

Why is this so goddamn loving difficult to figure out

Dec 26, 2012

yeah i dont get that

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Looper posted:

Why is the stylus not on the side

Why is this so goddamn loving difficult to figure out

i am no electrical engineer but opening up the bottom it seems pretty apparent; going left to right it's got a big bay for the battery, then the stylus slot which basically uses the entire depth of the device, then all the computer. having to split all the computer space into equalish halves would probably make poo poo tricky considering how freaked out those folks are about making all the poo poo close together because electrons get real tired running all that distance or something. the battery is huge this way, and i feel like its bigger. so its a tradeoff. my feeling is it would have been better to put it horizontal along the top or bottom, but they can't do the top because they put those ZL and ZR buttons on and they couldn't do the bottom because it has everything the top used to have

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I appreciate your excavation on our behalf

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

considering that the stylus is barely ever used for anything i dont see how its a big deal

Dec 26, 2012

tbh if you can do menu poo poo with the nub now i dont mind it as much

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I never got around to getting a 3ds XL, might as well get one of these.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

ok in monster hunter 3 ultimate, at least, the c stick is not analogue. if you move it to the right you turn the camera for a fixed speed for as long as you're pressing it no matter how hard you're pressing it. if you press it very softly you get a very short movement at that speed. to get a feel for what it is like, get a pencil with an eraser on the end, place your thumb on top of the eraser and while holding the pencil still bend the rubber around with your thumb. it's not really moving at all, there's a small amount of give but that's basically it.

it is extremely accurate however. i can point the camera on whatever i want, dead on, first try, no overshooting at all. the physical sensation is unfamiliar but its clearly a extremely well thought out input device and seems perfect for the kinds of shenanigans it was designed for. its not as good as a proper stick but it might be better than the circle pad pro because of how little force you need to apply to get the results you're looking for; with the CPP you're fighting all kinds of springs with both hands which is really a lot of work for a video game

edit: and of course the CPP is a loving monstrosity praying for death

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I never got around to getting a 3ds XL, might as well get one of these.

do you like rpgs? i thought rpgs were dead until i got a 3ds

Prinny
Jun 12, 2010

by XyloJW

chaosbreather posted:

i am no electrical engineer but opening up the bottom it seems pretty apparent; going left to right it's got a big bay for the battery, then the stylus slot which basically uses the entire depth of the device, then all the computer. having to split all the computer space into equalish halves would probably make poo poo tricky considering how freaked out those folks are about making all the poo poo close together because electrons get real tired running all that distance or something. the battery is huge this way, and i feel like its bigger. so its a tradeoff. my feeling is it would have been better to put it horizontal along the top or bottom, but they can't do the top because they put those ZL and ZR buttons on and they couldn't do the bottom because it has everything the top used to have

why would you bother opening up your new 3ds xl to just let a stranger know why the stylus is no longer on the side?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

babypolis posted:

do you like rpgs? i thought rpgs were dead until i got a 3ds

Oh I'm fully aware of the 3ds' rich library of RPGs, I've just been using the tiny baby version all this time like an animal.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Has the US release date been announced yet...

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Prinny posted:

why would you bother opening up your new 3ds xl to just let a stranger know why the stylus is no longer on the side?

didn't. you have to take the bottom off to change the microSD, which is a necessary part of migrating it - the quickest way to move your sd data is to copy it to a computer, then copy it back to a microsd and put that in there. it comes with a 4 gb, but i had a 32 GB lying around that I used instead. i didn't really 'open up' the 3ds, it's still pretty sealed off down there with lots of warnings and stuff. you can also change the battery. taking the bottom off requires using a phillips head to loosen two screws and then you use the specially shaped top of the stylus to pry it off.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

important update: smash bros is like a zillion times faster to load and jump around the menus in. its like instant. this is fantastic

Dec 26, 2012

very good

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Has the US release date been announced yet...
yes, its "as soon as we've sold all of our unsold stock of old 3ds's" :(

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

chaosbreather posted:

i got a "the new 3ds xl" because i am australian

some impressions comparing it to my old non-new 3ds xl:
  • its got a shiny finish to it and feels much better built and more expensive
  • you gotta unscrew the backplate and pry it off with the end of the stylus to change the micro sd card, its a real event but who cares you do it once
  • pikmin move your poo poo over from your old one, it's cute
  • the 'super stable 3d' feature works pretty good, even with glasses on. if you move suddenly it can take a sec to re-aquire you. but it's still the same 3d, so if it gave you headaches before its still going to give you headaches now. the difference is you don't get neckaches from having to hold your head exactly in one position
  • there's a real sharp edge seam on the edge of the bottom that might get irritating, but it will probably wear down over time?
  • the screens are exactly the same, don't notice them being any different other than the brightness adjusts. everything is still real big obvious pixels.
  • the speakers are way better but still pretty bad
  • the c stick is ok, you can move around the main menu with it if you don't have a game to play it with. it's ok. it doesn't move. its the same size and texture as a pencil eraser-top, with a concave top.
  • the home and the re-situated start and select buttons are way better, proper tactile buttons that are good to press
  • theres a little dent on the hinge where the c button goes, it makes the hinge look like someone scraped a bit off or something
  • the stylus is shorter, which is bad, and at the bottom now, which is also bad because you have to change your entire grip to get it out
  • the card is on the bottom now which is good because it stops arseholes from stealing your games while you play them
  • the power button is on the bottom. its is harder to hit but who cares because who uses the power button ever
  • the system does feel way faster doing poo poo - but still not instantaneous like an iphone - and loading websites isn't quite the joke it was
  • no power adaptor in the box lol, but the upside is the box is tiny, like the size of a betamax tape maybe

otherwise its still the comfortable, semi-portable handheld it always was, with probably the best library of games out there of any console. i feel very happy about my decision and would recommend it to people who like their 3ds (and/or have broken their 3ds) or think they might like a 3ds, because its a 3ds but better, except in the minor ways that its worse

if anyone has any questions this is a cool thread for them, i will answer them. or if you are australian or japanese feel free to share your own impressions and opinions

ty

Sizup
Nov 25, 2008

chaosbreather posted:

important update: smash bros is like a zillion times faster to load and jump around the menus in. its like instant. this is fantastic

does the nipple act like a c stick for smash??

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i know rite what kind of scrubs uses thec stick to smash attack

Dec 26, 2012

its an important question

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

is the circle pad made out of rubber or soft plastic? they can be hard to distinguish because they feel similar but the rubber can catch in the 'inner lip' of the circlepad or whatever you wanna call it when you push it over to one direction

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Sizup posted:

does the nipple act like a c stick for smash??

very yes

dexters secret posted:

is the circle pad made out of rubber or soft plastic? they can be hard to distinguish because they feel similar but the rubber can catch in the 'inner lip' of the circlepad or whatever you wanna call it when you push it over to one direction

honestly i don't know. my circle pad recently shattered on my old 3ds xl so i know it had issues. i can't get the circlepad to catch though, i think it's bigger and has more clearance. it also has a very slight skirt around the bottom that probably does something

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

another update (noticed while playing pokemon x): the little nub spacers that totally unsuccessfully kept the rim of the bottom screen from scratching up the top of the screen have been redone. i can actually look all the way through between the closed screens, so nothing is touching the top screen. so that omnipresent dual scratch the previous model had? no more. i wonder if that means amazon will get back on speaking terms with them.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

thanks for the report, heres hoping itll come with xenoblade or something cool when it comes out in the next year. not hating on you aussies but it is pretty unusual that you guys got it domestically before anyone else in the west

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

it is nice when that happens. we also got bravely default like a year ahead of you too

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
if i want to trade my XL towards a New XL, how will i transfer my poo poo from the old one to the new one :(

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Cyra posted:

if i want to trade my XL towards a New XL, how will i transfer my poo poo from the old one to the new one :(

they should let you do it in store, i never knew anyone with a problem with that. it just takes about 15 minutes for the little pikmin to come and carry all the data over. you need an internet connection so use the in-store wifi or set up a hotspot on your phone. afterwards, pop out and keep your sd card, and copy that onto your new one at home.

but of course you'd probably get way more for it just ebaying it or whatever.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I'm going to get this portable console, OP.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are the screens any bigger or clearer

Even the relatively giant XL screens hurt my eyes after half an hour or so (with 3D off of course), still haven't beaten link between worlds as a result

Sizup
Nov 25, 2008

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

Are the screens any bigger or clearer

Even the relatively giant XL screens hurt my eyes after half an hour or so (with 3D off of course), still haven't beaten link between worlds as a result
i think the standard new 3ds has a slightly bigger screen but the xl is the same size. that's what i remember hearing anyway.

also

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Inflammatory posted:

i think the standard new 3ds has a slightly bigger screen but the xl is the same size. that's what i remember hearing anyway.

this is correct

• Locked thread