Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Oh thank god Battle Angel is finally back. I've been missing my doses of Martian insanity, and have completely lost track of the plot. Time to reread it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
zombies who are good at karate seem a lot less dangerous than the quantum beings or whatever people are becoming in the present timeline. that being said i'm enjoying mars chronicle

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

DrSunshine posted:

Oh thank god Battle Angel is finally back. I've been missing my doses of Martian insanity, and have completely lost track of the plot. Time to reread it!

tl;dr: Erika, that kid is up to no good!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

DrSunshine posted:

i'm gonna have to end up rereading all of last order too, because i deffo lost the plot re: Erika and Gelda

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

tl;dr: Erika, that kid is up to no good!

[Hank Hill voice] "That girl ain't right"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

TenementFunster posted:

i'm gonna have to end up rereading all of last order too, because i deffo lost the plot re: Erika and Gelda

I'm going to have to reread everything because just wtf is this Alita anyway?

(seriously though, folks have mentioned things from Mars Chronicles that I had completely forgotten so will reread that at least)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

On my way through the reread and goddamn the poo poo they went through. No wonder Erica's brain is broken

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
I think the thing I love most about Alita is the absolutely random release schedule and the fact that it's literally been running for 30+ years and is still top-notch stuff. This manga is bonkers.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Just finished my reread of Mars and lo and behold 39.1 just dropped

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I've been thinking about what analogy best describes BAA:LO/MC, and I think I've settled on "Berserk meets One Piece", and I think that about sums it up.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I only got in like 3 years ago, and I'm still kind of reeling that this dumbass space karate comic is one of, if not the, most respectful portrayal of a transmasc character I've seen in

anything

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Rody One Half posted:

I only got in like 3 years ago, and I'm still kind of reeling that this dumbass space karate comic is one of, if not the, most respectful portrayal of a transmasc character I've seen in

anything

you've said and I still agree, its real good

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Rody One Half posted:

anything

It really is. Sechs got a new body, and everyone's like, "Ah, you're a dude now, ok" without batting an eye and things just go on. And he also becomes super rad, the best stretchy boi.

EDIT: There's a really interesting article or post out there to be made about trans identity and gender identity in the world of Battle Angel, but I'm not the one to make it unfortunately.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 13, 2021

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

you've said and I still agree, its real good

I probably did say, like 20 times, it's just

trans feels, good ones, ya know

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Rody One Half posted:

I probably did say, like 20 times, it's just

trans feels, good ones, ya know

I'm sure, its rare to see a good trans story told, let alone one told this well

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

40.1 has dropped! https://mangadex.org/chapter/cef8a41c-4e47-4fae-8174-497f9c9efff6

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

and 40.2, 41.1, and 41.2.

Updating very hard, thank you

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
every chapter is owning

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

and 40.2, 41.1, and 41.2.

Updating very hard, thank you

I have no idea what the hell is going on anymore, and I think it's kind of hilarious that Yoko is now a side-character in her own manga. Oh well, it's a good excuse to reread it all!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DrSunshine posted:

I have no idea what the hell is going on anymore, and I think it's kind of hilarious that Yoko is now a side-character in her own manga. Oh well, it's a good excuse to reread it all!

The flashback kind of has always been the Erica show.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yoko was basically a side character in her own life.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
We all know the fans are actually here for Ido Nova Gonzu Ruliya Caerula Lou anyway.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Update
https://mangadex.org/chapter/a8ee8be5-8e7d-4a31-9199-9b64deeb5031/1

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

42.2 also now out from translators

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Three more issues are out through to 44.1 g0g0g0

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

and 44.2 now.

Am I the last one reading this? I can stop posting updates if its an issue.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

and 44.2 now.

keep doing it, otherwise I'd never know

I gotta catch up from wherever it was two years ago

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

and 44.2 now.

No not at all but I think what I need to do one of these days is a big readthrough from the start of Mars Chronicles as I've completely lost the plot. A bunch of the volumes have been released in English since back then so it's a nice opportunity to get them so I can enjoy a real good translation. :)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it comes out so slowly that i end up needing to read from the start each time i pick it back up.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Flash backs inter nested forever, can't recall the last time we saw now

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I think it was when Alita and Erica were fighting on the train and the fallout thereof, so several years of real time.

I'ma be real with y'all, Mars Chronicle ain't doing much for me. We're not getting the weirdness that Last Order would just spontaneously dump on the reader, and I don't care about any of our protagonists enough to make up for it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the weirdness of zott was great, but i certainly don't miss alita having a crisis of confidence and/or identity in every other scene she's in.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Very true, although I guess that's not a problem by default at the moment anyway.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mars Chronicle has its moments but it's definitely the weakest of the three

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I finally read through Last Order over the summer and started Mars Chronicle.

Last Order went down a path I did not think it would (with something like 75% of it just being Z.O.T.T) but everything else from a lore and character development was super solid. I introduced a friend to the series with the film and I got to find out he's not a huge fan of manga stories, or more likely he doesn't like Shonen stories, so he kinda bounced off Alita but he brought up something that I was very happy to see became realised with the remaining Tuned characters.

He said that Alita's arc in the film, with getting put into the Berserker body and reshaping the body to match her image of herself, is a great trans story and he asked me if that was the intent. I had said it probably wasn't originally what Kishiro had meant back when he was writing BAA in the early 90s, but then as I was reading through Last Order I noticed that Sechs always referred to himself as a boy and then purposely remade his bodies to reflect that. Coupled with the fact that everyone else immediately switched over to referring to him as male all I could think was "I wish that either a) I can convince my friend to read the rest of this series just for that or b) we get more film sequels and he can see it for himself".

As a cis-person, I can't relate to seeing an affirming character like Sechs but looking at the publishing history for Last Order, what were peoples' reactions to how Sechs developed over the years?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

People loving love Sechs and I'm old enough to remember when we didn't really have Lost Order. People still loved him under his old gender identity! He's Alita, but angry and kind of stupid! It's great.

Considering the origin of the Tuned Sechs does raise questions about Alita herself which I can perceive existing but am not qualified to discuss. Elf and Zwolf complicate the matter even more. But I guess that's cyborg life for you.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nessus posted:

People loving love Sechs

:heysexy:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's hard to think back that far but Sechs was always extremely cool as a contrast to Alita and semi-comic-relief. The actual transition felt incredibly natural and I don't think anyone really commented on it at the time because it just felt right for the character and we wanted him to fight Zekka more.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Sechs is great! He's cyborg Luffy! I've always really enjoyed the homoerotic subnotes involved in Zekka and Sech's showdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Bilirubin posted:

Battle Angel Alita: Last Reader