Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
This game is beautiful and genuinely awe-inspiring. It's such a shame that your exploration is always rewarded with platforming bullshit, rather than a deeper layer of strangeness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Ghostwoods posted:

This game is beautiful and genuinely awe-inspiring. It's such a shame that your exploration is always rewarded with platforming bullshit, rather than a deeper layer of strangeness.

The way I feel about it, it's going to have earned its bullshit platforming. Honest. I'll show you all real soon.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
as a reminder,

And so, here we are. We've wandered into the infrastructure, it looks like.

Just put that screenshot two or three times between all the rest of them in here, you'll see that that's about how it goes. Anyways,

the organization down here isn't any better than it was up above, but we're at least moving through spaces with purposes. That's... a nice thing I can say about this chapter. Yes.

This, though, this isn't so nice. These action segments here were actually so poorly resolved that the devs pushed a patch specifically to add more checkpoints for them. This one looks harmless enough, sure, but you'll see, oh yes you will.

Specifically, what you'll see is that last, a whole goddamn lot. Interspersed with plenty of

of course. Stumble through enough of that garbage, though, and we'll escape the tubes for a brief brain-centric intermission.

Before that, though, we reach a real intermission, if we just ignore the obvious puzzle and wander off up a hallway.

With the rest of this chapter, this section here is even more satisfying to find, even if we can't do anything with it but look. It's nice to look. It's nice to see something that isn't the unlit inside of a pipe.

It's nice to see the Sun, do you know. If that is the Sun. We'd like to think it's the Sun.

Anyways, after we bask a bit, and peer off at whatever that is in the back there, we've got to go back in and slide the drat blocks and proceed.

I think I spent literally half of the video failing to produce the right arrangement. The right arrangement looks like this:

Our reward? More goddamn pipes, and more goddamn fans. Fans and shafts and rotating blocks and generator bushings and

and I'm not sure what more I can say about it. It's bullshit.

Once we scrape our way through, of course, the place decides it has no use for us, and blows us right out.

Right back up the way we came, right back to

Right...

uh.

ArcMage fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 14, 2015

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
What.

The.

Frak?

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

"a bit of a seizure risk"
"this shouldn't be a hard jump"

Fun fact, the power of that fan is based on your framerate, so the lower framerate you have, the harder it is to make that, and if you are below, I believe it was 35 fps, then it is literally impossible.
Literally, as in: actually literal, not figuratively literal, as It is somehow sometimes used.
The same goes for the ending sequence, it behaves differently based on your framerate.

I really love that engine from a artistic point of view, form and function, you can imagine it being a actual working thing, while having the same nonsense design everything else has too.
as a platforming section: gently caress that poo poo.

SniHjen fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 29, 2014

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

SniHjen posted:

"a bit of a seizure risk"
"this shouldn't be a hard jump"

Fun fact, the power of that fan is based on your framerate, so the lower framerate you have, the harder it is to make that, and if you are below, I believe it was 35 fps, then it is literally impossible.
Literally, as in: actually literal, not figuratively literal, as It is somehow sometimes used.
The same goes for the ending sequence, it behaves differently based on your framerate.

I really love that engine from a artistic point of view, it's pretty amazing, the way it is both obvious that is a functioning device, but at the sametime, nonsense.

as a plaftforming section: gently caress that poo poo.

Yes, the ending sequence frustrated me astoundingly until that was explained to me. I think I'll illustrate it, when we get there.

Actually, the ending sequence frustrated me astoundingly in general, but I think I'll illustrate that when we get there.

berryjon posted:

What.

The.

Frak?

Wait for it.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
drat, I've got to admit the the dream-logic infused into this gamn is pretty goddamn potent. It manages to instill an air of vague menace as well as an oblique goal that feels extremely familiar and dreadful, I'm sure we've all had a dream at some point where we knew we had to do SOMETHING, but it seemed as though the world itself set itself against us. It's extremely intriguing to see where they'll go with it, and if they can even maintain it, delicate state of mind that it is.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Gah. The last half of that video was some serious utter crap. Also, interestingly, it was the first bit of the game that felt overtly French to me. I can't entirely justify why -- old memories of Jean Michel Jarre, perhaps.

Also, ArcMage, I surfed on to find this video of yours -- "With slightly more approachable music this time". I've got no idea what you're playing, but MY SWEET CHRIST YOUR REFLEXES ARE TERRIFYING. :stonk:

Man, I feel really, really loving old. :negative:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Ghostwoods posted:

Also, ArcMage, I surfed on to find this video of yours -- "With slightly more approachable music this time". I've got no idea what you're playing, but MY SWEET CHRIST YOUR REFLEXES ARE TERRIFYING. :stonk:

I think that's Audiosurf. It's one of those rhythm games that let you choose your own music. You could get it on Steam for two bucks and find out if you've still got it in you. :shobon:

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Ghostwoods posted:

Gah. The last half of that video was some serious utter crap. Also, interestingly, it was the first bit of the game that felt overtly French to me. I can't entirely justify why -- old memories of Jean Michel Jarre, perhaps.

I'm 31. :(

e: Just for you, though. :h:

ArcMage fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 29, 2014

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

And I'm 45 in 25-odd hours. (Gods.) Although to be fair, I got nobbled with immuno-arthritis a few years ago, so I'm creakier than I should be on top of that.

That was actually quite lovely and soothing. Thank you :D
:3:

EDIT:

And More posted:

I think that's Audiosurf. It's one of those rhythm games that let you choose your own music. You could get it on Steam for two bucks and find out if you've still got it in you. :shobon:

I genuinely appreciate the thought. I might even do that, one of these days!

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Ghostwoods posted:

And I'm 45 in 25-odd hours. (Gods.)

Con[gratulations|dolences]!

Part 3-1 is encoding and I'm going to throw it up early for you since I've been so goddamn slack.

You'll like this one.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Awesome, you're through that slog of a level. I was stuck in the boat of the impassible fan when I first played, and it along with the rest of this level really just obliterated all the good will the previous level had built up.

Luckily this next one brings some back in a... different way.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Now with... maybe 70% less sense? I think? Everything's been kinda confusing to be honest.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Huh. That was... odd.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
This level is an odd experience to be sure. My only big complaint was the blinding blind maze really probably didn't need lethal falls, but I think they kind of wanted people to try both doors.

Best stuff of this level is still to come, along with a really interesting abstract reference to one of my favorite movies.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The music in the recursive section is pretty brilliant. The blind maze... yeah that's pure bullshit. At the very least I wish it was less harsh.

Also, the world has truly lost all pretense of understanding.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Lucy? You need some sunglasses to go with that flashlight I recommended earlier.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ArcMage posted:

Now with... maybe 70% less sense? I think? Everything's been kinda confusing to be honest.

Yeah, no kidding. This is some Antichamber poo poo.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Good god, this game is pretty, but thankfully you're the one playing it, and not me, because I would be lost forever.... :gonk:

The music continues to astound me. I really liked the music in that one bullshit wind turbine section in the previous video too. It sounded like the singing was trying to say "upgrade me."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

EagerSleeper posted:

Good god, this game is pretty, but thankfully you're the one playing it, and not me, because I would be lost forever.... :gonk:

The music continues to astound me. I really liked the music in that one bullshit wind turbine section in the previous video too. It sounded like the singing was trying to say "upgrade me."

I heard "I'm free"

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
e: :sweatdrop:

So. Even for the standards of this nightmare, that's a bit outlandish, don't you think?

We've... come back to the start? Is that what's happened?

Is... that what's happened? :ohdear:

Is... this even happening? :psyduck:

Whew. Okay. While we're taking a breather from the lunacy, let's talk a bit.
I'll mention, but, this place falls a little bit flat for me, actually, after the, ah, the mutely disturbing tone of Going Down and Breath Compression.

It's openly zany and unreal, which is certainly dream-like. It's just, it's so like a dream that it can't be anything but a dream.
Up to this point, things have still followed enough of the rules that you, Lucy, might still worry that it's real.

This chapter discards those rules completely.

Not totally, not just yet, though. Lucy's just getting a bit bold here.

The above section speaks for itself, I think.

The concluding puzzles start here, and are much more pleasant than that bullshit was.

That's all there is to that one, for instance.
Watch me manage to get eaten by geometry at the end, though. :downs: I could hang that one on the devs, but it seems like a real edge case, honestly.

This time, anyways, I don't screw it up.

This, I think, something like what we spent Breath Compression doing; waking the place up. I'm just not sure what the place is, now, or what part of it we've awakened.

Anyways, poke all of the blocks and this one appears and lets us out, and we can go check the other side, where

:aaaaa:

That's where we want to go. That door there, in this parking-garage-sized space lit only by that one muttering spot of glow that dashes around the place in a way that I'm not sure isn't random.
If there's one bullshit segment of this chapter, it starts here.

This is why.

And when you see me get here, you'll agree.

This part is positively pleasant after that.

Sanity restored. Maybe.

Having just been through for screenshots, I'd like to note the use of color, this chapter. The really loony bits are stark, proper monochrome. Color only creeps in when we're approaching 'reality'.

In any case, Glazius called it out, I think; this was some Antichamber poo poo, but Antichamber explains up front more or less that it's a game-like environment, and absurdity like this can fly pretty freely. NaissanceE at least pretends to have rules, and by following those as it violates some of ours, it picks up a lot of its unsettling factor. It was sort of a letdown that it just threw its hands in the air and said 'gently caress it' here.

It is, happily for all concerned, about to redeem the hell out of itself, though. Look forward to it~

ArcMage fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 14, 2015

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
That was... odd. Uncomfortable to watch, so probably hellish to play.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That was a pretty neat rotating-blocks section.

Other than that, I think it's a little weird that of all instruments the accordion(?) is the signifier of "poo poo's getting weird, girl".

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Glazius posted:

That was a pretty neat rotating-blocks section.

Other than that, I think it's a little weird that of all instruments the accordion(?) is the signifier of "poo poo's getting weird, girl".

Nothing says 'bizarre also French' like aimless noodling on a concertina.

Man, I'd really like a new page before I post another picture dump. You guys can have another video to tide you over until then, though.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Well, if it's a new page you want, I'm sure we can oblige.

Although, I do have to wonder - about how far through the game are you, thereabouts?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

berryjon posted:

Well, if it's a new page you want, I'm sure we can oblige.

Although, I do have to wonder - about how far through the game are you, thereabouts?

Nearly done. :(

Basically one more proper chapter, but it's the big one.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Double-posting for a a quick video.

Just like it says on the tin.

A quick, quiet breather, after that last batch of lunacy.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I've jumped around looking at your videos, and I'll admit it, I don't get it. The devs made this quiet, serene world and then they tried to infuse it with dread and unsettlingness, and it just doesn't work for me. Every time the music comes on it feels like a distraction that takes away from the beauty of the geometry, some sort of imposition that we find this all scary. I've only played a bit of kairo but I feel the way it presents its world is far more harmonious.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

That lightning.....

Louispul5
Oct 10, 2012

Gyre posted:

I've jumped around looking at your videos, and I'll admit it, I don't get it. The devs made this quiet, serene world and then they tried to infuse it with dread and unsettlingness, and it just doesn't work for me. Every time the music comes on it feels like a distraction that takes away from the beauty of the geometry, some sort of imposition that we find this all scary. I've only played a bit of kairo but I feel the way it presents its world is far more harmonious.

I don't think it's supposed to be a "Be scared now." cue and more of a "We know you're completely blind and lost, let us reassure you something is happening." cue. Otherwise you can't tell whether you're climbing a pitch black stairway for 3 minutes, or running into a pitch black wall for 3 minutes.

Or they could put in some lights, but you can't make sense when you're being artsy.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
You stop getting footstep sounds if you're walking into a wall; that's the key to those blind sections earlier, for me at least.

The whole game is a pile of little metaphors stitched together into bigger and bigger metaphors; the music emphasizes the climb as a Meaningful Transition, which it is.

I'd said, I didn't care much for Deeper Into Madness, which among other things is filled with silly music, but the whole chapter is filled with silliness.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Viola Stairs are a pretty neat transitional experience.

But the lightning bridge was just magnificent. What are those office apartment-lookin' things? Are they supposed to be for us?

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
How is the next update coming along?

This game looks pretty amazing, that lightning effect was lovely, the sense of scale is astounding.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
If anyone is interested, the Humble Weekly Bundle this week includes NaissanceE. Last I looked, it's tier was at about $3.50. I'm not able to platform worth a drat, so I'm hoping Arc Mage comes back to this, but if you've got the dexterity required, it seems pretty cheap.

EDIT: Six posts to a new page, I think. The rest of that bundle is Dominique Pamplemousse, Closure, The Bridge, Oquonie, Betrayer, and Neverending Nightmares.

Anyone played any of those? Any good?

Ghostwoods fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 6, 2015

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostwoods posted:

If anyone is interested, the Humble Weekly Bundle this week includes NaissanceE. Last I looked, it's tier was at about $3.50. I'm not able to platform worth a drat, so I'm hoping Arc Mage comes back to this, but if you've got the dexterity required, it seems pretty cheap.

EDIT: Six posts to a new page, I think. The rest of that bundle is Dominique Pamplemousse, Closure, The Bridge, Oquonie, Betrayer, and Neverending Nightmares.

Anyone played any of those? Any good?

Eh, yeah. New page would be good. Let me chip in with the padding discussion.

Closure is a neat puzzler, but I wasn't able to finish it. Lost interest in the last? chapter. It does have really neat imagery though. A 'fever dream' feel that I so adore.

It does seem to be one of those "sum is less than the parts combined" games.

ninety
Mar 13, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Seeing this LP got me to try the game and it's pretty neat. It often feels like I'm going in a direction that I'm not supposed to and going outside the bounds of a level, but it lets me keep going and going and suddenly the next area will open up. It's a cool effect, and what's really impressive is I haven't gotten legitimately lost or turned around so far.

Some of the artsy touches are corny though, no more quirky accordions in anything ever again, please.

The Protagonist posted:

So Going Down is probably one of my favorite areas in this whole game. The time-slowed apartment struck me as almost an easter egg for how it felt tucked away, and there's at least a few other odd and unsettling spaces you may have missed like the doorway somewhere in the residential area that, other than a floor, opens up into an infinite black void.

I'm not as far in as the LP is but that area has been my favorite part so far, it really caught me off guard for some reason.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Kuno posted:

How is the next update coming along?

This game looks pretty amazing, that lightning effect was lovely, the sense of scale is astounding.

I've spent the month dead for tax purposes, I'm afraid. :(

What I was doing instead :V

I'm going to bring you the rest of the LP as I process it; I've been had it recorded, I'm sorry.

The 'real life' disclaimer goes here, I guess. Nothing novel about mine.

Screenshot effortpost once I get this whole chapter up. Possibly before the weekend's out.
Thank you all for bearing with me.

e: Yeah, two more posts and we won't have 3 loads of screenshots on this page. Someone call me a lazy bastard or something a couple of times.

ArcMage fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 7, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

ArcMage posted:

I've spent the month dead for tax purposes, I'm afraid. :(

What I was doing instead :V

You have got to be trolling me, because just a few hours ago, for the first time in a year, I randomly remembered that song and got it stuck in my head.

Oh, right, the update.

Man, the sense of scale in this world continues to astound me. I was thinking maybe we reached some sort of bottom, but no, we're on top of a gigantic and impossibly tall building that's only one of... infinity, for all we know.

And that maze... I'v discovered over the years that I'm pretty much impervious to motion sickness, but that made me really nauseous. I was almost considering skipping the rest near the end of that. I wonder if we even accomplished anything by solving that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Epilepsy warning, anyone?

Ugh.

Yeah, that was seriously unpleasant to go through, something of a theme with the game....

• Locked thread