Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

One nitpick about women being unable to lead a church: its roots are anti-patrilinialist, not anti-gender equality. Women have children, a fact which cannot be denied. A male priest who has children could always have doubt sown upon his seed before paternity tests came about. So, you don't have women as priests because you don't want them to pass down the office to their children, making religious office a heriditary position with corresponsing title and grants of privliges.

So if you want to divorce your church structure from human inclination, your best method in historical times would be to ban women from holding priestly office.

How this shapes the revelations of the christian church, well, there's something to be said about the cult of mary and its historical context by someone more informed on early christian history. There's disagreement because religion is ultimately a means by which to codify and justify the status quo inequality and power structures. When you examine the development of religious practices as the development of a class intent on maintaining its privileges and status within various historical societies, the route of development and the 'why' of how things developed becomes a bit more clear.

We trust that 'gut feeling' because humans are not born with an innate understanding that correlation does not equal causation, and therefore attempt to explain the world within an iterative process through the frameworks provided to us. That, and by going with those 'gut feelings,' one is often rewarded by the community in which they reside and given an escape from moral culpability for their actions.

:psyduck: Did you literally make everything you just said up? Because, you did.

Also, still laughing at your previous attempts to rectify sociology as divinely inspired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Banning women from priesthood isn't about women being unequal to men; its about accumulating capital and property under a church hierarchy. Greed>hate is usually a good rule when analyzing doctrinal policy development.

Bullshit. Bullshit. Bullshit.

"They were denied leadership positions because the church just wanted capital and property under men only" :allears:

I'm sorry, how do you even come up with this nonsense?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 23, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

The best part about this reasoning is it fits any faith. How do we explain that a few billion people are Muslim/Catholic and are going to hell because the Catholic/Muslim God didn't give them a religious experience to change their minds? Um uh, oh he totally did but Muslims/Catholics hate God and secretly loooooove to worship the devil but they'll never admit it!

Also a handy justification for butchering the infidels. You can't save those who hate God so much they make themselves be Muslim/Catholic despite knowing the only true religion is Islam/Catholicism!

That drat pesky fact that you have to be born in the right 'truth' to avoid hell :argh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Okay then we can't trust any supposed revelations either if our monkey-brains are too dumb to comprehend god, since there's no way to tell a true incomprehensible revelation from a false one.

We'll just have to hope God isn't the kind of nutcase who holds us to an impossible standard of behavior with a get-out-of-hell free card only for those who choose the true revelation by sheer luck.

Could always view it like the Puritans:

"You MIGHT be one of the select few that won the divine raffle, but don't bet on it. But you better be pious, cause gods watching. Oh, and your predestined, so if you are going to sin, you are hosed anyways."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrandorKP posted:

Have you ever experience real communication with, kinship with, understanding with, possibility intimacy with a other person? Those all can be revelatory experiences. The way I explain. In a service, when every one shakes hands and says "God be with you" if they mean it and there is real connection, that's a revealtion!

Its no more revealing than telling someone 'Good Luck'

You are trying to equate 'Revelation' such as visions and personal visitations with god with someone wishing you well.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 25, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrandorKP posted:

Yes that's definately one way to resolve it. I'm also being scriptural.

So Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you; as the Father has sent Me, I also send you." 22And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit."

Our real encounters with others, when we accept them unconditionally as who and what they are (forgive), are revelatory.

quote:

revelation is the revealing or disclosing of some form of truth or knowledge through communication with a deity or other supernatural entity or entities.

No, they are not. Your scripture quotes are only valid within the context of your religion, and nowhere else.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

There is nothing "anti-Catholic" about the supremacy of holy Scripture. You guys really think Protestants own the Bible or something? We have four readings at every Mass. Again, I remind you all that Catholics compiled the Bible, and are the only ones who have interpreted it holistically.

So....you own the Bible?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The Bible is very different from other religious texts, though, which is why I maintain you can't look at it from a literalist perspective. That's what I keep trying to get across to you - it's an entire library of books, each needing to be taken on its own merits. This is different from the Book of Mormon or the Koran by the self-definitions of those books on the very face of it. Seriously, stop thinking of the Bible as a unitary work for just a moment.

For sake of argument: The Book of Mormon is a collection of stories too. Outside of Joseph Smith being a pervy con-artist, why is it 'false'?

You just treated the BoM in the same way he is treating the Bible.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

V. Illych L. posted:

God is the Utility Monster, IMO

He is both the devil, and the saint

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

I'd consider replying to this thread, but I already have a thread about Christianity, and see this thread as redundant (as well as the other one about God). I regret writing the earlier reply on the first page.

Too bad you ignored everyone who didn't agree with you, and handwaved away everyone else.

:allears:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Black Bones posted:

So you gonna post evidence that "the Catholic Church and Protestants overwhelmingly (emphasis mine) claim the Bible is infallible and completely true" or what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_infallibility#Catholicism

In Catholicism, its called inerrancy. Same idea.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://www.wetalkofholythings.com/2013/03/inerrancy-vs-infallibility-theological.html

I'm sorry, that is incredibly misleading.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

QuoProQuid posted:

i don't think a non-denominational blogger from miami has any institutional authority to the catholic church interprets the bible.

http://www.thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/justintaylor/2011/09/16/inerrancy-and-infallibility-truth-claims-and-precision/

I still think you are splitting hairs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

QuoProQuid posted:

A non-denominational pastor in Wheaton, Illinois would also probably not be considered a strong authority for Catholicism.

The words inerrant and infallible have different meanings in the Protestant and Catholic traditions.

http://www.theopedia.com/Inerrancy_of_the_Bible

Nope, still splitting hairs

Bu...bu...but you obviously are just a layman who doesn't understand our intricate religion

No, you guys are splitting hairs over interpretation, at the end of the day, and allows others with different interpretations to simply say "Oh, no, you obviously didn't interpret that verse/text right."

Its really pedantic.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

QuoProQuid posted:

I really don't know what to tell you except that Protestantism and Catholicism are different religions. You keep quoting sources that really have no relevance or applicability to Catholic teaching. That last source is an online evangelical encyclopedia. You might as well quote the Dhammapanda at this point.

quote:

'Inerrant' means there are no errors; 'infallible' means there can be no errors.

Splitting. Hairs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

neonchameleon posted:

"About Theopedia

Theopedia is a growing online evangelical encyclopedia of biblical Christianity, a network of interconnected pages, constantly being refined and updated."

Once more you are using Evangelical sources to talk about Roman Catholic understandings. What next? Citing Jack Chick?

Seriously, it isn't hard to find out what Roman Catholics believe. Unlike most denominations they have a pretty detailed catechism, making it easy to find out what the official teachings of the Roman Catholic Church are. (And most things outside the Catechism? Aren't official teachings, merely opinions that Catholics don't have to take seriously even officially).

Let's go to the dictionary and Wikipedia

quote:

'Inerrant' means there are no errors; 'infallible' means there can be no errors.

Yep. Hair splitting fun.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

neonchameleon posted:

Roman Catholicism no more claims that the Bible is literally true than it does that any given parable is referring to historical events. Jesus had reasons for telling each of his parables. This doesn't mean that every single detail of them can be treated as accurate in every way. Merely that there is a point to each of them. That is all the Roman Catholic Church claims (although some Roman Catholics claim more).

http://www.catholiceducation.org/en/religion-and-philosophy/apologetics/do-you-read-the-bible-literally.html

I think arguing that they take it literally but don't want to appear to do so it two different things.

And the definition stands, its splitting hairs to try to make one organization look more progressive than the other. Every time I read an article on the Roman Catholic sites about it, it reads like Libertarianism: Lots of words to cover make it look well read and intellectual.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Black Bones posted:

You've uncovered our secret, Vatican Karate Gorillas have been dispatched to your location

Do they have rights to personhood?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Black Bones posted:

Silly, gorillas don't exist, haven't you read, The Bible?

Obviously they just fell out of favor with the lord.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Black Bones posted:

Post more links that go against your argument, it's really funny!

Na, you'll just confuse dictionary terms and try to claim some weird special snowflake right to do so.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

You are saying the same thing without thinking you are. The definitions are only so slightly different, in reality they might as well mean the same thing.

The only reason it gets this special 'We're different because....' treatment is because its the Catholic Church. Its part of the whole 'We're the one true faith' dogma that they throw around.

That's it. No other reason. The annoying part is it seems like for the most part these two views are still heavily debated even among Catholics and other Christian religions. So, I don't think you get to plant your flag just yet.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 5, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Black Bones posted:

:cmon: ya don't want to end up looking like CommieGIR. Reading carefully is key to understanding.

:rolleyes:

Its all about interpretation amirite?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Black Bones posted:

I reject Hell and Biblical literalism because from my perspective, they are foolish nonsense.

Splitting Hairs again are we? Not only do you get to pick and chose what in the Bible is acceptable, you get to pick and chose God's eternal plan?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Black Bones posted:

Yes, of course. You are actually correct here. I'm sure that's a new experience for you, but don't be frightened! Embrace it, learn from it, become it.

I choose to not interpret any of it because I have the strangest notion that morality and empathy exist as human qualities without the damnation/approval of a diety.

So, kindly gently caress off god.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mornacale posted:

Impressive, could you share your secret for reading a text without interpretation? You could probably make a real name for yourself, since it would be the first time in all of human history that someone has managed it.

Its simple: I read about the Exodus (that never happened), the Great Flood (that was a regional event), and God's acceptance and use of genocide, closed the book and said "Anyone willing to interpret this as other than what it is, is just unwilling to accept the fact that god is a lovely and evil person"

Where's my book deal?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mornacale posted:

As other than what? Could you explain how you arrived at a conclusion about what a text "is" without interpreting it?

Separately, it's pretty impressive to become the foremost authority on the whole of an anthology of over 50 separate pieces of literature after reading approximately three of them, presumably in the absence of any other criticism or scholarship. I imagine that demonstrating this sort of preternatural acumen really impresses Christians and Jews when you try to browbeat them into deconversion.

So, what you are saying is the Bible is really one of those magic eye books, and if I stare long enough I can see past the petty egotistic sociopath and see a kind a loving omnipotent being?

:allears:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cavaradossi posted:

No you don't. Very few of your actions are consciously arrived at by logical thought. Logic is difficult to do, limited in its application, and only under special circumstances is the result of using it an improvement.

Today I have done thousands of things. I've thought logically about a handful of them.

No, even simple automated and instinctual actions required logical approach, regardless of if you gave them thought or not. Sure, not advanced intellectual logic, but logic is still present.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Helsing posted:

How are you defining "logic"?

Maybe I was a little too broad, but his definition is a little too slim. The idea that logic only exists in something you must think out completely prior to complete isn't true either.

Some actions that require logical thinking in the first few tries eventually become mapped patterns that still use subconscious logical processes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mornacale posted:

I am saying that all literature is subject to interpretation, and therefore getting smug about people discussing their hermenuetic is laughably ignorant and your own hermeneutic as illiterate.

Hand-waving away God's actions through interpretation and argument that some things are metaphorical instead of literal is not 'interpreting' anymore than making excuses for accidentally hitting someones car.

For example: We can claim that racism in the 1800s in both literature and speech as a product of its time, but in the end its still racism and its still wrong.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 13, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mornacale posted:

e: Meanwhile, a fundamentalist uses the exact same reading as you but since they assume that Huck can't ever be racist in any way, they decide that saying "friend of the family" is okay, if not commendable. Pro tip: if you find yourself agreeing with a fundamentalist about textual interpretation, you done hosed up.

Agreeing? Somewhat. More agree that its wrong where they find it right. But unfortunately, while SOME of the Christian churches have chosen to interpret it in better light, the ones most people have to deal with have not.

It all comes down to the fact that the book is a source of contention as to who is interpreting it properly or not and who has the one 'true' religion.

So regardless if you feel the interpretation is wrong, someone feels its right, and someone's 'True' religion is based on it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 13, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

And if not - if you recognize that many people have to be wrong about many things, despite their certainty - why do you trust the conclusions you've drawn over any other?

As it was hammered over and over in the LDS church to me by teary eyed witnesses:

You feel it in your heart. Its one big appeal to emotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I refuse to give up on Russell's orbiting tea pot.

• Locked thread