Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

SedanChair posted:

This level of doubt would drat you anyway. You have too clear a picture of the cruelty of any real God to respect him.

To expand upon this and agree with it.

You're trying to reason yourself into a position that literally tells you right off that it requires faith. Faith and reason are opposites. I'm not saying this in a smugtheist way like hurr durr, xtians r dum. But they are just completely opposite things. Reason requires evidence and fact and logic and faith requires a reliance on your own personal gut feelings. In a lot of ways, reason is the objective and faith is the subjective.

In short, you're wasting your time. If you actually believe all this stuff then just believe it. If you don't but are afraid of hell you're hosed anyway because if there is an omniscient deity, it will know you're not really all in.

Seriously, theology is the silliest goddamned thing when it comes to Christianity, the sole requirement that keeps being repeated is having faith in Jesus and letting that into your heart. At least according to the sects you've been grasping at this whole thread. You are completely wasting your time in a fruitless quest to reason yourself into faith. If you could do that, then the hard sciences wouldn't be something like 90% atheistic.

If you're that scared of hell, turn your brain off and believe something without evidence the Holy Spirit will guide you or whatever. If you're too logical for that, then get over your fear of a fairytale that is more or less found in every major religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

So are you just going to not address the obvious major fallacy that doing something because you're scared of Hell is pretty much as far from the Faith requested in the book as it can be? Or are you just going to continue to ignore that your whole argument is flawed at its core, and thus is pretty much useless?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Hey guys. This (older) text on a polytheistic religion the mostly describes meditations by men who don't think they're truly divinely inspired but rather are doing the best they can and is mostly focused on various rituals and classes for a society I've never been a part of and likely have never really explored is totally the same as the Bible, a monotheistic text that claims to be 100% divinely inspired and infallible.

You're really dense and bad at theology.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Black Bones posted:

He's not the only one. Where, pray tell, does the Bible claim that?

2 Timothy 3:16-17

1 Thessalonians 2:13

2 Peter 1:20-21

Psalm 19:7-9

John 17:17

Hebrews 6:17-19

Matthew 4:4

Don't try to be flippant and disdainful if you don't even know the book.

edit: Not only that buy both the Catholic Church and Protestant beliefs overwhelmingly claim that the Bible is infallible and completely true. While the Catholic Church has sort of backed down from this, notably in the Second Vatican Council, it still carries weight with plenty of Christians, and is direct from the text.

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 4, 2014

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Flip Yr Wig posted:

This doesn't make any sense because every book of the Bible was written long before they were canonized. They weren't written with the assumption that hundreds of years later they would be read in context with dozens of other texts that the authors likely never encountered. Just because it's common Protestant orthodoxy doesn't mean it's a sensible way to approach the texts.

Have you considered that "logos" and other related Greek words were not meant to refer to written texts?

I don't believe in Biblical literacy, or Biblical divinity. I was answering a question based on this thread, where a dude is so freaked out about Hell that he wants to logically analyze a religion, BUT ONLY ONE OK because he somehow thinks Pascal's Wager is a legitimate thing in TYOOL 2014.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

neonchameleon posted:

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Translation: Timothy, stop trying to throw parts of the bible out. Everything is something someone will find useful. (Including this letter to you).

Yep. Don't throw out parts of the Bible, all scripture is divinely inspired. Seems to be the point that Biblical Literalists make. I know you're trying to wiggle here and make it about how something might be useful to someone, but that's not supported by the text, only your own attempts at justification.

neonchameleon posted:

I'm going to take this from verse 10 to 14. Context matters.

10 Ye are witnesses, and God also, how holily and justly and unblameably we behaved ourselves among you that believe:
11 As ye know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you, as a father doth his children,
12 That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory.
13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.
14 For ye, brethren, became followers of the churches of God which in Judaea are in Christ Jesus: for ye also have suffered like things of your own countrymen, even as they have of the Jews:"

As is blatantly obvious, this is not actually a passage about the bible. It's about what is being taught by missionaries.

Missionaries are teaching _________? Fill in the blank here. (Answer: The Bible)

neonchameleon posted:

20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

And this is, I think, about early gnosticism. There are no secret prophecies or scriptures. And everything is useful - but the book was still written by people.

7 The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.
8 The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes.
9 The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether."

Isn't actually talking about the Bible.

You can state that it isn't all you want, but according to Biblical Literalists, the Bible is the law of the Lord. You can try to nitpick and make spurious claims, but they don't actually pan out. Nor are they relevant to this discussion.

neonchameleon posted:

17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

Again isn't actually about the bible. It's a much better basis for Holy Tradition and preaching.

If the Bible is the word of God, as Biblical Literalists believe (and with some support from the text itself) then it is about the Bible.

neonchameleon posted:

Again, I'm going to add more verses for context:

13 For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater, he sware by himself,
14 Saying, Surely blessing I will bless thee, and multiplying I will multiply thee.
15 And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise.
16 For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all strife.
17 Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:
18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:
19 Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil;
20 Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

Once again this isn't actually about the bible. That the bible claims that God is perfect is not in dispute. That God is claimed to have inspired the writing of the bible isn't in dispute. But this doesn't mean that the bible, written by people, is perfect unless those people are without sin.

It also does not dismiss the idea that the scripture was inspired in a way so as to make it perfect. It is perfectly logical to assume that an omnipotent being could have had a perfect Bible, and that is what Biblical Literalists believe. It is supported in the text by these passages. You can claim it isn't about the Bible, that's fine, but in terms of a literal interpretation of the Bible, these verses are used to support it. You seem to think these are my arguments - they're not, I merely linked them because that one guy had apparently never read the Bible, or was unaware of how the text could be shown to support Biblical Literalism.

neonchameleon posted:

4 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Seriously? You're saying that that is proof that the bible claims to be infallible. And that there's no junk food in there? Riiiight

Yeah, every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God is what man needs - once again, these are not really my arguments, just arguments that I have seen used to promote Biblical Literalism.

neonchameleon posted:

And don't try a Gish Gallop, assuming no one is going to check your sources and find none of them say what you claim. Half-assed bombardment with sources simply doesn't work on the internet. Not one of your sources clearly claims what you say it does.

Thanks for mockingly linking Gish Gallop, I am somehow completely unaware of it, despite having been arguing in a thread based on Theology, and also participating in both the Conservapedia and Freep threads.

neonchameleon posted:

And when you're talking about "protestant beliefs" you're in a minefield. A lot of protestants, especially those denominations that were strongly influenced by The First Great Awakening do and there are reasons for that (and very bad ones at that). Educated Roman Catholic sources knew the bible wasn't literally true since before Galileo (who had the pope as one of his sponsors until he was too much of a git and his enemies found an excuse to take revenge). The Catholic claim is that the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church can not be false over a long period of time in matters of faith and morals. (Which is how they painted themselves into a corner over contraception with Humanae Vitae, but I digress).

Absolutely, I agree. However, for the discussion in this thread (a thing you seem to be unable to comprehend?) we were discussing Biblical Literacy as the source for the OP's dismissal of all other faiths, and his reversion to Pascal's Wager as his fallback plan to avoid Hell. The OP decided to somewhat recant from a Literalist perspective after my post with sources that are, have been, and will continue to be used to promote Biblical Literalism. You're not arguing with a Christian, you're just making yourself look poorly educated on this topic. These specific verses, and others, have been used for a very long time to push a Literalist perspective, so when someone asked where in the Bible it says that it is true, I pointed to where those people who have a dog in this fight point to. I don't care, I'm not a Christian, I'm only pointing at what Christians point out in their own discussions. We're sort of all debating through various puppets here, because this topic is so ridiculous in the first place.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

The people writing those letters didn't know it'd become part of scripture because that was only decided later based on what theology was more politically advantageous to the Roman state. When Paul is telling Timothy about the infallibility of God's scripture, he's not talking about the letter he's writing in that moment.

Edit: I mean you could say that God knew and He was inspiring Paul to say that, but if that's the case why didn't God shortcut all this confusion by having Paul tell us what books are canon and what aren't so you don't get holy wars and schisms both in the early church and later on when Protestants decided some books "didn't count"

Right but within the context of an omniscient, omnipotent deity, it is perfectly acceptable to state that God did know, and thusly they should be included in the Literalist canon as well. Like I said, these aren't my arguments, they just are arguments that can be supported by using the text.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Like I said, my replies were in the context of the thread. That's what people use to claim that Biblical Literacy is valid. I do not believe this, the whole concept of it is silly, and I don't need it disproven. We're on the same side, except for some reason you think I'm as bad at logical thinking as the OP.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

why is the Bible's account of a divine being named Jesus true, but an account of Joseph Smith finding brass tablets (and all other non-Christian religious accounts) is made up?

Because people usually aren't very good at letting go of what they were taught as children? I've said it like a dozen times in this thread - there's no logical path through this that ends questions and leaves the 'correct' belief, the logical path is that it's all made up and none of it is true.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

tsa posted:

When did this idea emerge, just out of curiosity? It makes no sense for the early church, where followers either directly saw a dude raise people from the dead, walk on water, create wine, or learned it from people who had direct contact. It's quite puzzling why God would expect people today to believe in him just as strongly as people he demonstrated numerous miracles for.

I have no idea, I'm not a Christian. I'm just presenting their arguments to the thread because their arguments were asked for, and they seem to be the basis of some of the OP's claims.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Black Bones posted:

:ironicat:

I see you've already been taken to task over interpreting those passages, so I will just point out that the Catholic Church has never claimed the Bible is infallible or "completely true" (in the sense that everything happened 100% exactly as described). By all means, point out their arguments otherwise.

I see you didn't bother to read my other replies. Please feel free to do so. These are some of the passages that literalist sects use to prop up their beliefs. I do not hold those beliefs. You asked where it said it, I supplied them and then went on to explain that this is by sect and literalist propensity it has changed per sect over the years. You're arguing against a person who doesn't exist in this thread.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah dude. Theology is all about splitting hairs. You and that one dude who keeps trying to get me to defend biblical literacy don't seem to understand that. There's a bunch of silly stuff that's all them trying to have a single way to view it doesn't work.

Some people use the things I posted to claim a literal interpretation. That's what was going on in the thread. However, it's all sort of whatever since you can interpret things however you want to.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

I did read carefully, you're ignoring my point. This is nonsensical. God Himself prescribes that we must not worship anything but Him. I feel like this wouldn't be such a strongly emphasized rule if it weren't possible.

Are you suggesting that even when people worship Brahma, call him a different name, assign him different attributes, and think of him completely differently and mistakenly, that they are still actually worshiping the real God, even if they don't realize it?

Even if, in addition to worshiping their God, they think of the Christian version of God as false?

There are people that believe that.

Now can you actually read this thread through again, and stop trying to apply logic to faith? It doesn't work, and you're wasting everyone's time hardheadedly missing the point.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
This thread is just the worst. It's like a bunch of 13 year olds arguing about their favorite superhero, except they're all juuuust old enough to start questioning why GAINING WEIGHT thinks spiderman is the best and Black Bones thinks Batman is totally the coolest, while Kyrie Elieison (or whatever his/her name is) rambles madly in the background talking about his/her own homegrown superhero that's totally the coolest of them all if you'll just check out his/her 400 page epic story that s/he wrote about them.

Basically what I'm saying is this thread is really dumb, and Sedan Chair is, somehow, the voice of reason in a DnD thread.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Who What Now posted:

If logic doesn't work with faith that should tell you that there's something wrong with faith. You apply logic to every single other facet of your life, knowingly or unknowingly, and use it to determine how and why things are the way they are and to make sense of reality. And when the logic doesn't make sense you say to yourself, "Hold on this is right." And you find the problem and then correct it.

But you're saying when it comes to determining whether a God exists and what his attributes are that that is the one and only time you should disregard logic and, you know, just go with whatever you're told. Don't think too hard on it, man, just go with it. How, exactly, is this not the Special Pleading fallacy?

Look, if you said your car was acting up and asked me to explain how the engine works so you could fix it and I told you, "Don't apply logic to cars, just have faith that it will be ok." you'd call me retarded. And rightfully so. Because putting certain things in a special category that you're discouraged from applying logic to is a really stupid way to live.

Yes. I agree. But holding to something no matter what anything or anyone else says is a hallmark of faith in the religions being discussed. So in this thread discussing faith, all attempts to use logic are doomed to fail, and it's absolutely idiotic to try to use a rigorous system of fact checking and logical, cohesive analysis to judge the religion(s) being discussed. They are (if you believe or whatever) supernatural and thus not confined to the rules of logic and nature.

If you apply logic to faith, you find it lacking and move on from faith or come to terms with Special Pleading because Jesus. This thread alone has run into contradiction after contradiction, and silly 'oh well this one thing is metaphorical but that one isn't' back and forths.

You seem to have missed the tone and constant reiteration in my posts, where I point out that I am an atheist. But also poke at GAINING WEIGHT and others for trying to wear the cloak of logical thought while discussing the stories of a 2000 year dead magician as if it really happened.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Plus, why would God give us this fantastic tool to perceive and understand the world, then chastise us for using it on Him? Logic, reason, scientific processes - these are all virtues when applied to anything else. Why, when I read the Koran and apply logic and reason to it to find out it isn't true, that's proper and correct, but when I apply it to the Bible to find out it isn't true, I'm misunderstanding/taking things out of context/using reason where faith is better/etc?

God would be capable of a Holy Book that stood up to scrutiny.

And yet it quite obviously doesn't. Which means... _______________.

Fill in the blank.

edit: Literally the first lesson the bible teaches you is that people learning, using logic, and thinking about the world is the greatest sin possible. That's what the parable about eating the fruit of the tree of Knowledge means. Questioning the wisdom of your betters, or thinking about the world too much literally caused all the pain and regret people have ever felt according to this faith.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

No no, sorry, I'm not saying I do believe it, just that it's the only answer that isn't nonsensical or "of course it isn't logical, you're supposed to have FAITH".

Does it count as nonsensical if it's one of the main lessons in the book you're attempting to hamfist logic into?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

I'm not sure I take your point

You missing an obvious point has been the case since you first posted.

One of the main points in the Bible, throughout Old and New Testaments, is to spurn logic and rely on faith alone. It's mentioned over and over, and explored and explained in parables all the way through. It could, arguably, be seen as the main lesson of the Bible (I'm not saying it is, just that there could be a strong argument for it.)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Cool let's look at these two quotes.

What they actually say. My quotes are from the NIV, but the KJV is way closer to my quotes than to yours. I'm not even sure what version you were using.

quote:

James 3:17
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.

This quote says the wisdom of Heaven, which is clearly the word of God. Not only that, but one of the adjectives given when discussing what Heaven wants you to believe, is submissive. So that seems to support me, not you.

quote:

1 Peter 3:15
But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,

The 'reason' he's talking about here is Christ. Always be prepared to tell people about Christ as the reason for your hope. You're bad at homonyms.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
ok

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
You can't, because it's all made up. hth.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

I will be satisfied with this answer when a religious person gives it

Lol you're not very bright.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

So really we're back to subjectivity. I have to rely on my own interpretive powers to judge churches and eventually come to a conclusion about who God is and what he wants. Is there a point? Or do you think that, whatever God is, he doesn't care what version of which religion I follow as long as I endeavor to know him?

And if so, how is that answer satisfactory enough for you, given that many believers of God are sure that he will smite all non true believers? What if they are the ones who are right?

or maybe its all made up and this is silly

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

I don't think that, I'm asking if that's the case.

Literally nobody knows. If a God exists, it hasn't actually told anyone anything. You're basically asking if Harry Potter prefers orange juice or grapefruit juice with his breakfast.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Your boring thread had almost died, until you posted some pointless and oddly formatted thing. What is the point of what you posted?

vvv listen to this guy vvv

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 3, 2015

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Valiantman posted:

You started the thread with the intention of finding out something, I'm not entirely sure what, about how people know or seem to know things about God. You assumed God spoke to them in what you called revelation. People generally thought you were right in doubting those who intuitively claim to know what He wants. Believer or unbeliever, I think the keyword was intuitively. I don't think anyone suggested that God could be proven to exist or not, or if former, submit under the kind of observation the scientists in your parable are doing.

At this point I think he's either an idiot or a troll. I wonder if there's a law like Poe's Law, where as the post count increases, it becomes more and more difficult to tell a troll from someone mentally challenged.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
No what have you done? The OP had finally given up on his poorly written rehashing of Pascal's Wager and the resulting 350 years of philosophy that he was ignoring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Oh my god you are the worst poster. You don't even understand theological arguments. Why won't this thread die?

• Locked thread