Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Two billion people are not bothered by this problem. Possibly they have either not thought about it or thought about it but don't have a very good grasp on logic and thus have come to a poor conclusion. But, some people are very educated, very logical, very rational, and have come up with an explanation that satisfies them. And if it stands up to scrutiny, I'd like to know about it.

I think that this is the problem. I don't think that everything has to stand up to scrutiny when it comes to the spiritual. There are tons of really bright, empirically minded people who believe in religion, and it's frankly insulting to think that they only do so because they haven't thought about it enough.

The way you talk about religion as being a "benefits package", tells me that religion might not be for you. Religion for a ton of people isn't simply a transaction, where they put in a couple of "believer bucks" and out comes "salvation". For some people, there is a different sort of truth that only religion can point towards. If you're not interested in finding that sort of truth in religion then it just isn't worth it to try and figure it out the way you'd try to figure out why a rainbow happens or at what temperature water freezes.

If you truly feel like you want to believe and put in the hard work but come out the other side unconvinced that it's the right thing to do then it's okay to just move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread