Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Who What Now posted:

If I was holding a syringe and told you I had a new, instantaneous cure for cancer within it. Which argument is more likely to convince you that what I claim is real: Numerous empirical independent studies showing a 95%+ success rate over tens of thousands of patients, including unedited video of people getting scans that show cancer then getting the injection and having a second scan that showed them cancer free, or a million people telling you that it's true and you just have to have faith in it?

But the purpose of faith is to find strength to transcend the material aspect of humanity, so making these sorts of comparisons doesn't make much sense. Using empirical reasoning in certain matters isn't opposed to simultaneously using faith in moral and spiritual guidance which deals with meaning rather than with immanent properties of any external phenomena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread