Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Just a note to the OP, you might get more fruitful and relevant discussion/responses from the Liturgical Christianity thread in Ask/Tell than here in D&D. There's a lot of really knowledgeable people there, and they'd probably be really good at answering some of the specifics of your questions, as well as giving you some history and perspectives of some of the various Christian denominations. It's also a generally chill thread, but not quite as active as you might be used to here.

It's also where I originally recognizes Kyrie eleison from; Kyrie poo poo up/trolled that thread a while back, was probated and left, and then later came back into the thread and apologized. I had thought he wasn't doing that stuff anymore, but then I saw his new D&D thread.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Hmm. So are you of the opinion that worshiping the wrong God, following the wrong faith, even believing (as part of said wrong faith) that Christianity is heretical - none of that is a problem for God? Doesn't matter, we're all saved regardless?
Welcome to the wonderful, wonderful world of universalism, aka universal reconciliation. It's a somewhat less mainstream belief, and some of the various Christian sects consider it heretical. (Ooh, these guys think these other guys' beliefs are heretical, that's never happened among the various Christan sects before.:rolleyes:)

Despite what you might think, universalism isn't a modern belief, it's actually a really old one. Like really, really old: you can trace universalism all the way back to Origen, an early Christian scholar who lived in the second century (184–253).

Origen, a really cool early Christian dude posted:

Origen was a scholar and early Christian theologian who was born and spent the first half of his career in Alexandria. He was a prolific writer in multiple branches of theology, including textual criticism, biblical exegesis and hermeneutics, philosophical theology, preaching, and spirituality.

Some of his reputed teachings, such as the pre-existence of souls, the final reconciliation of all creatures, including perhaps even the devil (the apokatastasis), and the subordination of the Son of God to God the Father, later became controversial among Christian theologians.
Universalism is cool, it's basically the backbone of whatever you want to call my belief system; I wish it was more popular. Universalists don't really get to judge people or yell at them that they're going to hell if they don't repent, so I guess it's not really all that surprising that universalism isn't more popular.:v:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 6, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

drat, aren't we pissy tonight. No, I'm not a troll. I just haven't gotten an answer to my question yet, beyond "hey just dive in and believe," which is still a problem, because: dive in and believe what?

Buuuuuut I suppose the thread has run it's course. Ah well.
Believe whatever the gently caress you want to believe, and/or whatever makes you happy. As long as your beliefs aren't hurting other people (and are preferably helping other people), then there's no real right answer.

Buddhism is cool, you could also try Unitarian Universalism if you want a church that welcomes all religions. Or you can be a true American and go full syncretism; I'm a reincarnation-believing Universalist Christian, which is heretical as hell to most Christian sects, and yet it's what I feel is "right".

• Locked thread