Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Viktor Laszlo posted:

No, that can't be right. Sin requires actual knowledge that the act is a sin. There is definitely a mens rea requirement.

So wouldn't suppressing the concept of sin be the best way of ensuring salvation? Just get rid of the concept of sin, tell everyone everything is acceptable, and boom, no mens rea, no sin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Viktor Laszlo posted:

I think sin objectively exists. If you are sleepwalking or whatever and commit some otherwise sinful act over which you have no control, no free will, that's not morally culpable. So, it would be wrong, actually sinful, to "tell everyone everything is acceptable" when you have actual knowledge that it is not the case. Suppressing the concept of sin would not eliminate objective sin.

This conversation is actually far out of my league, so I will refrain from commenting further.

But you said:

Viktor Laszlo posted:

Sin requires actual knowledge that the act is a sin.

So therefore if you don't have knowledge that an act is a sin, you can't sin by committing it. Therefore suppressing the concept of sin would literally eliminate sin, based on your definition.

edit: though yeah, it's totally fine to bow out, but that doesn't eliminate the inherent contradiction in your position.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BrandorKP posted:

Yes that's definately one way to resolve it. I'm also being scriptural.

So Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you; as the Father has sent Me, I also send you." 22And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit."

Our real encounters with others, when we accept them unconditionally as who and what they are (forgive), are revelatory.

Two Maoists conclude a self-criticism meeting, shake hands, and say, "Let's continue the struggle against reactionary forces, comrade." Truly it is divine revelation.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Because for plenty of educated, logical people there is an answer that satisfies them and allows them to believe. Because if this poo poo is true, I want to know about it. Because if there's a way around the "problems" that I think I see, I'd like to find them.

I would really, really like to believe. The benefits package is enormous! You get to not fear death, you get to know your life has purpose, you get to know where you and everything in the universe came from, you get guidance, you get a constant divine friend to help you in times of trouble, you get a community...the list goes on and on! But there are too many barriers in my way to really take the plunge. If some of those barriers can be knocked down, though...if there is a good reason to think of Christianity as true, as well as all other faiths as false, then I want to know about it. If my "problems" are simple misunderstanding, or failure to see something a certain way, I want to know about it.

I'd love to believe in Santa Claus, too. I don't mean that to be flippant. I'd sincerely love to know for sure that despite everything, if I'm good, I'll get exactly what I want for Christmas. But I just can't...too much about the mythology seems implausible.

Two billion people are not bothered by this problem. Possibly they have either not thought about it or thought about it but don't have a very good grasp on logic and thus have come to a poor conclusion. But, some people are very educated, very logical, very rational, and have come up with an explanation that satisfies them. And if it stands up to scrutiny, I'd like to know about it.

In all seriousness, have you attempted to make peace with the idea that one day you will not exist?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

Gospel According to Hermione 4:16 "Squeeze ye not the juice of the grapefruit and drink not thereof for it is an abomination in the eyes of the LORD your Harry. Peel not the orange with thy fingers, and breed not a seedless orange lest Harry strike thee down in thy insolence against what He has called good".

God, it's like you've never even heard of special revelation.

Look, in this passage Hermione is clearly referring to an individual squeezing grapefruit and drinking the juice, not grapefruit juice bought in a store. This is clearly a commentary on Ron not washing his hands before preparing breakfast, not a blanket condemnation of all grapefruit juice everywhere, you fundamentalist. Don't make the Book of Harry look bad because you can't understand context.

• Locked thread