Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Thanks, and I look forward to some illumination on this topic.

The cynic in me would tell you "Because neither of them are actually being guided by the holy spirit and what you described sounds like a complicated way of saying 'Don't think about it, just go with what feels right.' Which entirely explains why people would give different answers because there's nothing divine about it, just two opposing gut reactions."

Assuming you're looking for a faith based rationalisation for the behavior, obviously one of the people isn't really talking to the holy spirit, they just think they are, so their faith isn't strong enough and they are misguided/heretics/possessed depending on your preference.

I would argue that any justification for the discrepancy is only ever going to be that, a justification after the fact for something you don't really have a clue why it happens. Of course, if the justification is attained by 'asking the holy spirit' then I suppose that makes it divinely inspired and thus true, but that's sort of like asking someone you think might be wrong, if they're wrong or not, then trusting the answer.

I did read carefully, you're ignoring my point. This is nonsensical. God Himself prescribes that we must not worship anything but Him. I feel like this wouldn't be such a strongly emphasized rule if it weren't possible.

Are you suggesting that even when people worship Brahma, call him a different name, assign him different attributes, and think of him completely differently and mistakenly, that they are still actually worshiping the real God, even if they don't realize it?

Even if, in addition to worshiping their God, they think of the Christian version of God as false?

Doesn't God say you shouldn't have any gods before him? Which presumably means you can believe in other gods so long as you are first loyal to capital God?

Or does he contradict that later?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cavaradossi posted:

Most physical actions - walking, catching, etc.
Understanding the story of a film.
Most 'decisions' about stuff you buy.

So, uh, you walk places based on whether your animal brain tells you there might be food or a mate there, you are possibly the only creature in existence with an instinctive understanding of narrative, and you buy things almost entirely based on whether you think they're shiny, immediately edible, or you can have sex with them, and also somehow were born with the understanding of 'buying' something instead of just taking it, again possibly unique in the world.

You are either very special or very difficult to live with.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bobtheconqueror posted:

I'll grant you the rest, but I'm pretty sure he's talking about the physical act of walking, like taking steps. You don't typically think about how you're walking, and when you do, over thinking the act is usually a hindrance. I don't think most people remember learning to walk, but one could argue that baby brain logic is used in figuring that out before you develop the reflexes to do it without thinking. In that regard, most actions are based in some reasoning, since, like playing the piano, you have to reason out what you're doing while you're learning the act.

Well yeah, but who just walks for no reason? If you walk it's because you want to go somewhere.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cavaradossi posted:

If wanting to go somewhere is the result of logic, then praying is because you want to talk to God, the logic's no different.

Logic, meaning the application of reason, is an extraordinarily limited way of interacting with the world. You do it infrequently and badly. The vast majority of actions you take in your life are either well below the level of logic, or are decisions arrived at by non-rational processes. Very, very rarely do you sit down and puzzle out something from the beginning. You'd take a year to get dressed if you worked it all out from first principles.

I dunno about you but when I get dressed, I think about what I'm going to be doing, and decide what would be appropriate to wear. Based on expectations of dress code, the weather, whether I can take things off when I get there, what I have in the wardrobe, and whether I want to wear something in particular today. And that's pretty easy because 90% of what I own is black and formal, because I don't like to spend a long time thinking about what to wear.

But I still think about it, I still use my brain to figure out what the optimal choice is. How on earth do you get dressed in the morning? Just roll around in a heap of rags until some of them stick?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cavaradossi posted:

So you evaluate every piece of clothing you have against dimensions of dress code, weather, ability to change, and internal emotional state? How long do you spend analysing your model for weighting these criteria? What data do you capture to assess the success of your choice?

Or do you actually not think too hard on it, just go with it, and wear what you wear 90% of the time anyway?

Yes?

I don't go through the whole wardrobe but if I'm, say, going to work, which is most days, I look out the window, see what the weather is doing, look at the work clothes, decide if I need to wear an undershirt, shirt, or both, I get a clean pair of trousers, then I look at my coats and decide if I need to wear a heavy coat, light coat, jacket, or nothing, I grab my work belt and if I'm wearing a coat I take the bits out I need because it looks silly under a coat, I double check that I didn't forget anything, then I leave for work.

That does require some thought about what I'm doing that day and what I need to wear to get it done, which requires like, an understanding of the causative relationships between what I carry with me and what I can get done with how much ease. If it's cold I need to wear more, if I'm meeting with someone important I need to stick to the dress code more which means no coat and definitely a shirt, if I'm going to be outside I need a coat while if I'm indoors, even if it's cold out, I don't need to wear one because I won't be able to store it.

It's not rocket science but it's basic 'if this, then that' logic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think this is critical

Cavaradossi, you really seem to be mistaking "logical" with "actively and/or consciously logical". Again, the breathing analogy: you are constantly running the process subconsciously, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening

Although technically I think breathing is actually automatic, I know heartbeat is controlled by a regular electric pulse from the brain but I can't remember what controls breathing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who What Now posted:

If I was holding a syringe and told you I had a new, instantaneous cure for cancer within it. Which argument is more likely to convince you that what I claim is real: Numerous empirical independent studies showing a 95%+ success rate over tens of thousands of patients, including unedited video of people getting scans that show cancer then getting the injection and having a second scan that showed them cancer free, or a million people telling you that it's true and you just have to have faith in it?

Depends, does the video have nice choral singing in the background and lots of images of clouds breaking and sunlight coming through, also are the before parts done in black and white while the after parts are done in colour?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who What Now posted:

It's a super boring science video with monotone British narration that constantly references making notes in a workbook that you were never supplied.

Thanks Obama.

Thobama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If faith is something you're not supposed to apply reason to, then yeah, it's basically being painfully credulous.

I would suggest therefore that faith should have some degree of reason involved somewhere, for most people.

• Locked thread