Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Who What Now posted:

You apply logic to every single other facet of your life, knowingly or unknowingly, and use it to determine how and why things are the way they are and to make sense of reality. And when the logic doesn't make sense you say to yourself, "Hold on this is right." And you find the problem and then correct it.

No you don't. Very few of your actions are consciously arrived at by logical thought. Logic is difficult to do, limited in its application, and only under special circumstances is the result of using it an improvement.

Today I have done thousands of things. I've thought logically about a handful of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

CommieGIR posted:

No, even simple automated and instinctual actions required logical approach, regardless of if you gave them thought or not. Sure, not advanced intellectual logic, but logic is still present.

No, logic is the use of reasoning. An instinctual or automated action occurs without reasoning.

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

CommieGIR posted:

Some actions that require logical thinking in the first few tries eventually become mapped patterns that still use subconscious logical processes.

And some (most) never required logical thinking at all.

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Give me an example

Most physical actions - walking, catching, etc.
Understanding the story of a film.
Most 'decisions' about stuff you buy.

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

OwlFancier posted:

Well yeah, but who just walks for no reason? If you walk it's because you want to go somewhere.

If wanting to go somewhere is the result of logic, then praying is because you want to talk to God, the logic's no different.

Logic, meaning the application of reason, is an extraordinarily limited way of interacting with the world. You do it infrequently and badly. The vast majority of actions you take in your life are either well below the level of logic, or are decisions arrived at by non-rational processes. Very, very rarely do you sit down and puzzle out something from the beginning. You'd take a year to get dressed if you worked it all out from first principles.

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno about you but when I get dressed, I think about what I'm going to be doing, and decide what would be appropriate to wear. Based on expectations of dress code, the weather, whether I can take things off when I get there, what I have in the wardrobe, and whether I want to wear something in particular today. And that's pretty easy because 90% of what I own is black and formal, because I don't like to spend a long time thinking about what to wear.

But I still think about it, I still use my brain to figure out what the optimal choice is. How on earth do you get dressed in the morning? Just roll around in a heap of rags until some of them stick?

So you evaluate every piece of clothing you have against dimensions of dress code, weather, ability to change, and internal emotional state? How long do you spend analysing your model for weighting these criteria? What data do you capture to assess the success of your choice?

Or do you actually not think too hard on it, just go with it, and wear what you wear 90% of the time anyway?

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

bobtheconqueror posted:

we don't really use logic perfectly on a regular basis, cause that's hard and boring and gets into epistomological issues that most people don't even know about.

Precisely. Faith is the same way. Applying reason to it is boring and gets into a bunch of dull unimportant stuff really quickly ("is God being omnipotent compatible with free will?" is not a question of any real importance to faith). So don't bother, just like you don't bother with most of the rest of the stuff in your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

bobtheconqueror posted:

Are you actually trying to say that accepting God based on faith alone is the right thing to do because it's easy; that questioning God is difficult, so why bother?

No. I'm saying that applying reason to faith doesn't work. Reason is not the be-all and end-all of how we interact with the world; in fact, it is very limited in its application. Applying reason to faith is simply a mistake, it doesn't make sense, it's not why people have faith.

• Locked thread