Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

So given that, here is my question, in a nutshell: assuming two equally devout Christians who both read the Bible prayerfully and considerately, then turn to the Holy Spirit and ask for guidance, how can the two Christians then disagree? And to be clear, I'm not talking about "can I eat this cookie before dinner?" or any similarly trite question, but a question on something universal and concrete, like how the church ought to be run or whether something is a sin. Important items that would have a single, all-encompassing answer from the Lord.

Because the Holy Spirit isn't real.

quote:

How does this happen? Is the Holy Spirit giving different advice, or are people simply making mistakes in interpreting it? Second, how does one figure out who is actually correct in their revelations? And lastly, if what I'm referring to as "personal revelation" is such a poor and inaccurate method of obtaining information, why does anyone rely on it?

Because they're stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Thank you for exactly what I said not to do. This isn't helpful.

Well that's the problem with theology isn't it? You dance around the answer that's staring you in the face.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

waitwhatno posted:

I think you need to poo poo or get off the pot. You are not the first person in history trying to reconcile faith with logic. It can't be done. Pick a religion that you like and once you start having faith, all the inconsistencies in church dogma will stop bothering you, trust me. Alternatively decide for yourself that organized religion is not for you.

All these mental gymnastics you are doing are going nowhere. It's just nonsense.

"You are as lost as you need to be, you are as lost as what you won't admit."

They can't. You can't recover your faith once you've reasoned your way out of it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Great job forums poster GAINING WEIGHT..., you have discovered the rudest, most tentative early forms of existentialism. Despite their being rude and tentative, they're nonetheless sufficient to prevent your ever escaping the maw of atheism.

Welcome! Stay. Not that you have a choice; changing from atheist back to christian is like trying to get all the toothpaste back in the tube.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Ender posted:

I wouldn't call my emotional response to the idea of death 'fear' per se; it just gets me really down.

I really, really want to know for myself what things will look like in 100 years, in 1000 years, in 10,000 years... I want to look at a more realistic, geological timescale and gain that perspective. It's a burning curiosity that will never be filled for me, and it depresses me to know that in fact nobody will ever have that kind of perspective because our lovely bodies have such terrible shelf lives.

But oh well, it is what it is.

quote:

“Stand not by me, but stand under me, whoever you are that will now help Stubb; for Stubb, too, sticks here. I grin at thee, thou grinning whale! Who ever helped Stubb, or kept Stubb awake, but Stubb’s own unwinking eye? And now poor Stubb goes to bed upon a mattrass that is all too soft; would it were stuffed with brushwood! I grin at thee, thou grinning whale! Look ye, sun, moon, and stars! I call ye assassins of as good a fellow as ever spouted up his ghost. For all that, I would yet ring glasses with thee, would ye but hand the cup! Oh, oh! oh, oh! thou grinning whale, but there’ll be plenty of gulping soon! Why fly ye not, O Ahab! For me, off shoes and jacket to it; let Stubb die in his drawers! A most mouldy and over salted death, though;- cherries! cherries! cherries! Oh, Flask, for one red cherry ere we die!”

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Unless doing so damns me to hell, which was my whole reason for sincerely exploring this in the first place.

This level of doubt would drat you anyway. You have too clear a picture of the cruelty of any real God to respect him.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

V. Illych L. posted:

God is the Utility Monster, IMO

gee, yep

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I'm a Dawkins-type agnostic - only reason I can't call myself an atheist is that I cannot accept that I know ANYTHING with certainty - but I think if gods were real, there has to be a whole lot of them working against each other if they really do have an influence on human behavior. That would explain why all these different groups are getting different divine revelations.

That's why the Greek pantheon made sense, it was powerful but petty lords trying to gently caress each other over by pitting the powerless against one another.

That's probably too insight-provoking a model to be given out to the rabble.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Are we really trusting random Protestant clergy of tiny-rear end American congregations to interpret and judge Catholicism?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yes, that would make you a Universalist. Whoops, you sneezed and became an atheist again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Catholicism, because of its majesty, continuity and the amount of positive change insiders can effect. I'm actually not kidding.

• Locked thread