Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T8R
Aug 9, 2005
Yes, I would like some tea!

The Ender posted:

I wouldn't call my emotional response to the idea of death 'fear' per se; it just gets me really down.

I really, really want to know for myself what things will look like in 100 years, in 1000 years, in 10,000 years... I want to look at a more realistic, geological timescale and gain that perspective. It's a burning curiosity that will never be filled for me, and it depresses me to know that in fact nobody will ever have that kind of perspective because our lovely bodies have such terrible shelf lives.

But oh well, it is what it is.

You can already have that perspective, but in the other direction. You might not be able to look 100 years into the future, but you can look 100 years into the past. You actually live in a time where you can almost look into the beginning of the universe!

Why worry about being unable to explore the future when you have the ability to explore the past? History, Geology, Cosmology! There is enough detail about the past to consume your entire life time with interesting knowledge!

Don't lament what you cannot have, when there is so much you already have. Direct your burning curiosity towards something attainable. Leave the future to our imaginations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread