Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

How does this happen?

Here's more information than you could every want about the history of Christian thought in depth

http://www.religion-online.org/showbook.asp?title=2310
That one is transcribed lectures notes of a History of Christian Thought class by Paul Tillich.

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/harnack/dogma1.i.html
This one is Harnacks "History of Dogma"

I'm looking for any insight into why people trust this gut-feeling-esque method of understanding God if it is so clearly unreliable.

It's Schliermacher vs Hegel. Feeling is Schliermacher, feeling is based on having "absolute dependance" on. The root of talk about "feeling" is just a statement of "Reality precedes thought" and it does. One has to exist before one can talk about having existence.

Also the two things I linked are from Religion Online and CCEL. Religion online is full text more recent theology. CCEL is full text older mostly historical documents, like all the Church fathers stuff, etc. They are great resources and one can find a shitload of good stuff on them.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Medieval Medic posted:

Why not "she"? Does god have a penis?

The Greeks. Sophia (God's wisdom ) was masculinized to explain the concept as expressed in the wisdom literature (Proverbs and Ecclesiastes) to a Greek audience.

Some feminist theology says gently caress that and calls God "She" an example:
http://www.amazon.com/She-Who-Is-Theological-Discourse/dp/0824519256

A good book worth reading.

Edit: Or get a well educated nun talking about the minarets (very phallic) put up when the Hagia Sophia was turned into a mosque.

Edit 2:

Berk Berkly posted:

You will refer to God's penis as "His most Holy Love Rod"

I like "'spenis", very Shakespeare.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 24, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

RuanGacho posted:

If you worship the Truth, which is the providence of God, then it stands to reason there is such things as objective Truth.

Not necessarily could be existential Truth.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

because I've never had a revelation myself, and it's impossible to sift through the revelations of others to find the truth.

Here's my favorite description of the revelatory experience of grace

"Grace strikes us when we are in great pain and restlessness. It strikes us when we walk through the dark valley of a meaningless and empty life. It strikes us when we feel that our separation is deeper than usual, because we have violated another life, a life which we loved, or from which we were estranged. It strikes us when our disgust for our own being, our indifference, our weakness, our hostility, and our lack of direction and composure have become intolerable to us. It strikes us when, year after year, the longed-for perfection of life does not appear, when the old compulsions reign within us as they have for decades, when despair destroys all joy and courage. Sometimes at that moment a wave of light breaks into our darkness, and it is as though a voice were saying: "You are accepted. You are accepted, accepted by that which is greater than you, and the name of which you do not know. Do not ask for the name now; perhaps you will find it later. Do not try to do anything now; perhaps later you will do much. Do not seek for anything; do not perform anything; do not intend anything. Simply accept the fact that you are accepted!" If that happens to us, we experience grace After such an experience we may not be better than before, and we may not believe more than before. But everything is transformed. In that moment, grace conquers sin, and reconciliation bridges the gulf of estrangement. And nothing is demanded of this experience, no religious or moral or intellectual presupposition, nothing but acceptance.

In the light of this grace we perceive the power of grace in our relation to others and to ourselves. We experience the grace of being able to look frankly into the eyes of another, the miraculous grace of reunion of life with life. We experience the grace of understanding each other's words. We understand not merely the literal meaning of the words, but also that which lies behind them, even when they are harsh or angry. For even then there is a longing to break through the walls of separation. We experience the grace of being able to accept the life of another, even if it be hostile and harmful to us, for, through grace, we know that it belongs to the same Ground to which we belong, and by which we have been accepted. We experience the grace which is able to overcome the tragic separation of the sexes, of the generations, of the nations, of the races, and even the utter strangeness between man and nature. Sometimes grace appears in all these separations to reunite us with those to whom we belong. For life belong to life."

Have you ever experience real communication with, kinship with, understanding with, possibility intimacy with a other person? Those all can be revelatory experiences. The way I explain. In a service, when every one shakes hands and says "God be with you" if they mean it and there is real connection, that's a revealtion!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

You are trying to equate 'Revelation' such as visions and personal visitations with god with someone wishing you well.

Yes that's definately one way to resolve it. I'm also being scriptural.

So Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you; as the Father has sent Me, I also send you." 22And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit."

Our real encounters with others, when we accept them unconditionally as who and what they are (forgive), are revelatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

neonchameleon posted:

lead to the introduction of slavery in Georgia.

These things also still matter, too. There are cities in Georgia with multiple "First" Baptist churches. Often they are really close to each other, too. You'll pass one then around the corner bam another City X First Baptist church. The first time one sees it it doesn't make sense. Then you look at the dates on the churches. Then you look at the people. Then the particulars of the denominations. Then it's Oh!, ohhhhh :(, oh.....

• Locked thread