Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I like to read the major-market paper that's nearest to whatever news story you're interested in. In the case of Ferguson, that'd be the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

As to what's going to happen in Ferguson? Put me down for Wilson not getting indicted followed by large protests with some civil disturbance that rapidly peter out unless the cops do something stupid like shoot an 8-year old.

Between Thanksgiving weekend and the slavering hordes of proles kicking in the doors of the local Wal-Mart in search of cheap widgets, no one in mainstream America will give two fucks about Ferguson by this time next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

maffew buildings posted:

If we get lucky Shinin' Diamond Joe Biden will run, although honestly I've been hoping after his terms as VP he would go to Vegas and do a stage show where he sings the standards and between songs tells stories of his political adventures to the crowd

I would watch the poo poo out of that act.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Now it's an official riot.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Equine Don posted:

Everything is incredibly gay and retarded.

Sorry your city's on fire, man.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Reverand maynard posted:

but... but I'm a college student

One of the kids shot at Kent State was just on his way to class and didn't have anything to do with the protest. Innocence is no defense.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'd heard that they started with smoke but then popped off tear gas when things started getting violent

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bolow posted:

I swear to god I hacked a stream of mucus like 6ft long my first trip to chamber. I felt loving great afterwards though

My dad told me that he puked so much on his feet that he was wiping vomit out of the toe of his boots later.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

You know, they could've filed the paperwork to have the streets closed. But I guess illegally blocking the street works, too. Except for, you know, the fact that there's cars moving there.

Dude stopped because he didn't want to hit anyone and then a bunch of people piled up on his car. I'd have hit the gas too.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Genocide Tendency posted:

I think its time we just walk away from that thread.

The best part of that thread ended months ago. The second-best part was when n4i locked it. Hell, even Xanadu locked it later on and that guy puts up with almost anything.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Yea me too actually sorry. Saw this in the news today: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30200222

Pakistan loving hates polio workers

I do a lot of volunteer work for a group that tries to get kids in the 3rd world vaccinated against deadly disease. Pakistan's cast-iron determination to see its kids spend their short lives inside of cast-iron lungs is one of the biggest hurdles that we have left to actually eradicating Polio outside of the laboratory.

Also, Pakistan's habit of sending its tinker-toy fanatics off to fight in other countries has spread Polio to Syria.

gently caress Pakistan, basically.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

Is anyone else greatly amused that OPEC is putting the screws to Russia by not cutting production?

Getting a serious bear and the dragon vibe off the whole thing.

Feeling some late-80's nostalgia about it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Maarek posted:

You will never convince the groupthink in D&D of this, though. Remember the guy who got shot trying to buy an airsoft gun in Walmart? Those jokers went on and on about his killing, but maybe if you don't want to get shot by the police you shouldn't walk around carrying a gun.

That was a legit hosed-up situation. The guy who called 911 was lying his rear end off and saying that the dude was carrying a rifle and pointing it at kids and acting crazy, when security footage just showed him hanging out in an aisle holding an air rifle that he was planning to buy or ask a question about or whatever. So the cops roll in expecting Charles Whitman reborn and shoot the guy dead almost as soon as they see him.

Here's a video synced with the 911 call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nMJ2gV_WLo

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
^^Have you prayed hard enough to the COIN gods?

New Afghan president decided that we could do night raids again. Haven't seen much else in the news.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Syncopated posted:

All I know about Great Britain in Afghanistan I got from the Man who would be king with Sean Connery and Michael Caine where they alone conquer a tribe with martini-henry rifles and claiming to be the foretold descendant of Alexander.

If anyone hasn't seen that movie, they should. Easily one of the best buddy-adventure movies ever.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ActusRhesus posted:

It probably didn't matter in this case because the physical evidence didn't suggest he was shot while fleeing. HOWEVER...a. why the hell hasn't Missouri updated it's criminal code since...you know...1985. b. Every borderline competent first year law student knows about Tennessee v. Garner...why did she not know the statute was unconstitutional AT THE TIME SHE HANDED IT OUT? c. why are they handing out statutes at all? Doesn't Missouri have stock jury instructions that (presumably) include all relevant case law developments?

All valid questions. My take on Ferguson is it was probably the right end result in this particular case, but it's revealed a lot of issues with their system that don't have me confident the right result will be reached the next time.

The whole grand jury was irregular from start to finish, it doesn't surprise me that the record contains gently caress-ups like that. I don't know what it says about Missouri's system because there's no way in hell they're ever going to do something like this again.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
What do you get when you populate a state with a mix of lazy Southern fuckheads and killjoy Northern Lutherans?

ActusRhesus posted:

(oh...wait....Missouri.)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

The real problem with Ashton Carter is not that he doesn't have DoD experience, he has plenty of that. Reportedly Hagel is out because he was brought in to manage withdrawal from Iraq and Afghanistan and a repositioning of the department away from those wars, but now we have ISIS and all that poo poo that needs to be taken care of and it's not really in his comfort zone. Ashton Carter's been in the DoD during that time too and is no more disposed to orient the DoD towards whatever the gently caress we have to do in the mideast than Hagel was.

Given the hard-on that the Very Serious People have for him, I'm surprised that Obama didn't try to rehabilitate David Petraeus and stick him in the slot.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
How the hell do they keep F-4's in fighting form 35 years after we quit selling them spares?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

They're probably hoping Kurdistan becomes a real country so they can invade it without risking the wrath of the US.

Pretty sure the Kurds are just going to get maximum local autonomy and control over the production and sale of oil in their territory rather than full independence. That does give them an incentive to take the fight to ISIS because anything that the Kurds take from them they likely get to keep.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fart Sandwiches posted:

But he still managed to put the shots on target when it really mattered. While jumping out of a still moving vehicle.

Srsly. Jumping out of a moving car to put a few into a 12-year old, even when you're just five to six feet from your target, is good shooting.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

not caring here posted:

2 grand for a tank of gas might curb some of that enthusiasm.

It really wouldn't.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Two Finger posted:

Pretty good. Have to start the patriot games one at about 1:15 or so to really make it fit.

I hate to be the guy to bring up the whole race riots thing but the Tea Party posted about how the guy in Ferguson is clearly innocent and was clearly defending himself so working from my normal principle of 'the Tea Party are completely wrong' I can only assume that he did in fact murder a poor innocent black kid, or should I adopt the 'right twice a day' rule?

The "Tea Party" position is that Mike Brown deserved to die and nothing is wrong with the way the system works so just go home and don't be mad about it. Even if I grant them Mike Brown, the system is still hosed up and needs to be changed.

So the argument that the "Tea Party" is making is an argument for the status quo, and since the status quo is hosed the Tea Party is still wrong about the broader question.

tl;dr: This is the Internet, so I'll let a lunatic yelling on the street make my argument for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABGiqizwCso

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

maffew buildings posted:

despite what the warrior brigade, social division tries to tell everyone if you are in a position to get shot by the police you have hosed up really, really, really bad several times in a row

poo poo, man. Someone go tell that to Amadou Diallo.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

iyaayas01 posted:

The amount of money that has literally been wasted in Afghanistan is obscene.

Waste is the point. Keep the local warlords and defense contractors sweet.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

50 Foot Ant posted:

Somebody forget to pay his bribes...

Yeah, I think so little of the Pakistanis that this was the first thing to pop into my head. Either that, or AQ has fallen so far down the food chain post-ISIS that the ISI decided to cash him in for brownie points with Uncle Sucker.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The revelation that the world is a grossly unfair place run by evil motherfuckers is pretty depressing, but I don't think that I ever took a day off because of it.

Unless you count hangovers, because I've taken a couple of hangover days off.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

The F-35 is literally the worst acquisition program, right? The tanker acquisition got hosed but seems small potatoes in comparison. There's that Army personnel program that had billions dumped into it for nothing but that still doesn't seem as big of a waste or at least as prominent.

The M2 Bradley was a complete shitshow.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Spicy Guacamole posted:

For a comic not written by vets, Oglaf is surprisingly spot-on whenever anything military comes up.

Guy has a real eye for human and institutional foibles.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fucitol posted:

i am still cool with forcing enhanced interrogation methods on their apologists.

imagining half the cast and crew of fox and friends glubbing down the water cooler while their interns hold them down is pretty :lol:-y

i guess that technically makes me a torture supporter, but i think my goal is noble.

:911:

That little rat gently caress Sean Hannity said that he'd go get waterboarded and then bitched out. The only one that I remember offhand who supported waterboarding and then changed his mind after trying it was Christopher Hitchens.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gooble Gobble posted:

Of course the commenters are all upset no one is taking the couple cupfuls of chlorine powder thrown in a staircase chlorine gas terrorist attack seriously.

Dulce et decorum est pro yiffing mori.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Obama Africanus posted:

I guess I didn't "do" the whole post-GWOT thing right then, but then again I'm not PNG with the worlds scariest people.. So.. :shrug: Whatever happened to quiet professionals man? Wait 15-20 years, ya know? How many dudes from 6 have claimed they took the shot on OBL now? 4? I bet 3 of them have written books or consulted on one of the newer movies. It's weird to me when I see my seemingly long over and done with already fought wars being cashed in on in so many books and movies now. My guess is that this is a trend that's gonna increase as the Vietnam generation begins to truly die over the next 5-15 years.

Make up some bullshit, cash in on consulting for movies and getting Hannity to jerk your pud over poignant tales of heroism. Go on Rush and tell the mouth-breathing world that Obamas-a-cocksucker-buy-my-book-for-stories-of-true-glory-by-someone-who-was-there. Honor is for suckers who think that God's going to pat them on the head after they die, get paid now.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

iyaayas01 posted:

Also Supreme Group just got taken to the cleaners by the government for fraud regarding food/fuel/other logistics support poo poo in Afghanistan...total penalties are a little under half a billion dollars. The whistleblower is getting $16M from the deal, which isn't too bad of a deal.

I take it back, there is some justice in the world.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Legalizing heroin would be a kick in the ribs for the small-time poppy farmer in Afghanistan.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Panzeh posted:

The Soviets decided to go ahead and coup out one of their own clients because they felt it couldn't get much worse than Amin but it did in fact get worse. A lot like we did with Diem, really. Diem wasn't very good, but a series of weak-willed and greedy military officers ended up being worse.

We couldn't have found a more useless pair of poo poo-flinging idiots than Thieu and Ky if we'd tried.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Derek Dominoe posted:

Small changes in chemical structure can make a huge difference in clinical effect and pharmacokinetics.

Heroin addicts might be the most pitiful ones I see. Alcohol is near the top too, to be honest. Fortunately, cocaine punishes your heart early and often so we don't see too many old cocaine addicts.

Methadone zombies are fairly pathetic.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Unless they've changed it, Oxycontin will get you high as gently caress and it used to be way easier to get than heroin. A lot of people I grew up with ruined themselves on that poo poo.

They're still ruining themselves, but since the feds and doctors have clamped down on Oxy all of the former pillheads are taking Heroin.

This hasn't worked out very well for them.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Omi-Polari posted:

of course it'll be interesting to see what happens when the U.S. reconstruction money runs out.

ISIS are the current religious whackjobs to beat so I imagine that the Taliban will try and top them.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

IPvSH6T posted:

Now in "things that surprise nobody", Cheney comes up and says "yeah gently caress it the CIA did what we wanted and I don't know anything about blowing a puree up some guy's rear end but the lawyers said something so gently caress it it's fine" and demonstrates that he's still up to giving interviewers a runaround on par with Rumsfeld's performance in The Unknown Known.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/3935116934001/cheney-cia-report-a-terrible-piece-of-work/?intcmp=latestnews#sp=show-clips

No sane human being should take anything that that horrible old man says at all seriously. In a better world he'd be listening to his cyborg heart *tick* *tick* *tick* it's last out at Supermax in Florence, CO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Booblord Zagats posted:

Theoretically there's way less moving parts that will rust from constant over-cleaning and contact with one another in a laser, at least.

I'm going to have a laugh when one of our infantry platoons is wiped out by some 12-year old kid with an AK that he dug out of a crater because our goony soldiers can't keep the lenses of their $1.2 million lazerguns clean enough to give him anything more than a suntan.

• Locked thread