Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Marrying for political favor, amassing great rank, being feted in the great halls while remaining a total loving dork, cheating. Petraeus is basically from the 18th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The thing about police v the military is when a total fuckup in the military does something horrible military people are by and large "yeah that guy is awful, gently caress him." But 100% this babyman will have every cop talking about what a selfless hero he is who acted with no other choice.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Cole posted:

We are like that even when a guy isn't a gently caress up tho

That's true.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I like how the exact same people who think government is wasteful are extremely assertive that the pentagon should waste as much money as possible at all times.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

yospos comes to gip

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/bill-cosby-scandal/navy-revokes-bill-cosbys-honorary-title-amid-sex-assault-claims-n261691

quote:

The Navy has revoked Bill Cosby's honorary title in light of allegations he sexually assaulted a string of women over decades. "The Navy is taking this action because allegations against Mr. Cosby are very serious and are in conflict with the Navy's core values of honor, courage and commitment," Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus said in a statement. The comedian — who spent four years in the Navy — was given the title of honorary Chief Petty Officer in 2011.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The issue is that what puts you into the get shot zone as a black guy seems to be well below the get shot zone as a white guy.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

If any of it actually did anything useful we would have heard about the specifics by now. Bush and the CIA leaked everything good for them immediately. Like when they left that doctor who helped catch Bin Laden to die because no one could wait to fellate themselves for killing Bin Laden.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

uhm...you realize that Bin Laden wasn't killed on Bush's watch, right?

Yeah, that's what I mean by Bush and the CIA, not Bush with the CIA.

The pro torture argument is basically "trust us it helped in 2004 and on" and if that was true, we'd know about exactly how and why.

The guys who let this happen:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/22/world/asia/pakistan-bin-laden-doctor/

Are not shy about hyping themselves up.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 9, 2014

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I don't see how torture is much worse than burning someone to death or shooting their guts out, which are both things 99% of people are just fine with, but it doesn't actually seem to do anything except make fat dickless talk radio fucks and their fans feel manly.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Here is one of the greatest interrogators of all time, maybe the best:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanns_Scharff

Note the total lack of actual torture.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

A non-zero portion of the people we tortured hadn't actually done anything against U.S./coalition/whatever forces, which means that outside of collateral damage/targeting mistakes/whatever we wouldn't have been trying to burn them to death or shoot their guts out.

The percentage of people we killed in Iraq who fall into the "collateral damage/targeting mistake category" is at least a majority, probably a very strong majority. The figure I heard from a major on the rate of cars we shot up for suspected VBIED actually being a VBIED was something like 5%.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Racism is a huge part of it too though. Growing up, I could walk around town high as hell no problem while my ~black friend~ who is a total boyscout got pulled over routinely and given the fifth degree for a variety of nonexistent "traffic violations" that somehow strangely never resulted in even a ticket. I was a complete fuckhead and he was like modelcitizen.wmv and yet he was meeting the police routinely and I never was. Black people don't do drugs more than white people but they definitely get arrested a hell of a lot more, despite being a tiny fraction of the population. And on the shootings front, there was a guy in my unit who went nuts with a shotgun in an arby's parking lot. He is still alive (and not even in prison), and completely coincidentally, white as all hell. Compare that to what happens when a black child is somewhere near a firearm and a police officer simultaneously. I'm not saying all cops are racist, but who cops take action on is going to be a function of, in part, who are cops around, and we put the cops around black people much more than we put them around even equally poor white people.

If cops pulled over white college kids to the extent they pulled over poor black people and routinely didn't give white people a second chance or benefit of the doubt, we'd see a lot more equality. And that might be the more realistic path to fixing things. Treating black people like white people has not caught on, maybe we should look into treating white people like black people.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 10, 2014

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

DnD's problem as far as I see it is that I could go into a thread and just say "George W. Bush is a war criminal and we should drag him to the Hague in chains and if you disagree you're literally Hitler" and folks will cheerlead me on, but if you respond to me with "that's insane" folks dogpile you with "well where's your peer-reviewed study to show that it's insane? MLA-citations only please :smug:". And then you get accused of trolling or derailing the thread by pointing out that what people are saying is insane.

To be fair this is what every place online with opinions is like. There's always a circlejerk, reinforcing the circlejerk is always okay, going against the circlejerk is really bad and one needs a lot of rhetorical support to not get accused of trolling. Then if you do have lots of rhetorical support, you are of course also trolling anyway.

My first probation here is from Games when I didn't have sufficient citations on my at the time highly controversial statement that maybe mass effect 3 wouldn't be good.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The TCC approved answer is that heroin should be legal because I can control it, it's not really a problem, only the stigma causes people problems, and hey anyone else lose feeling in their arms after a bad batch? I need to know how to deal with it because CPS is coming by and if I leave my arms hanging down they might take my kids again.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I've known several weed and fun pills dealers who went on to lead happy productive grown up lives and am very glad they aren't in prison both as a person who knows them and as a taxpayer.

Two Finger posted:

who was that guy who was taking something, might have been bath salts? and went completely mental found himself homeless and his fiance's father flat out said never to contact her ever again
that was pretty lol

It was some crazy russian drug where the difference between an active dose and a you will commit horrible acts dose is too small for the eye to see, and if that wasn't bad enough the primary thing the drug did was make people forget everything and make bad decisions, so even if you theoretically did the "right" amount you'd still probably take more. And it had apparently no euphoric effect (wtf).

There's sort of a top hits of tcc thread in gbs right now and it's funny.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 10, 2014

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

My family is a mix of Italian patrician types who most definitely were "in the war" and Irish republicans who had to leave Ireland after. . .a thing, but weirdly the entire American family has stayed out of every war until I decided to take part in one of our stupidest. So we're getting dumber.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Victor Vermis posted:

Acknowledging something exists isn't the same thing as calling for a massive military intervention boondoggle to address it, though.

I don't know how anyone hits adulthood sometime between 2001-2012 without learning that the U.S. isn't going to fix the Middle East, but these people exist and will, sometime in the near future, probably drag us back into the thankless task of paving the way for whatever lovely backwards splinter group steps up to fill the power vacuum left in our wake.

The persistent belief in American exceptionalism makes "hey we can show people the light, it'll work, ya just gotta believe" an easy sell to the American people from anyone who wants to start a war anywhere. If also means that if you are arguing against the war being a smart idea, you are arguing against America being special, and therefore hate America and are bad.

America hasn't tasted real war on its own soil since 1865 so most Americans genuinely do believe we have bad-guy seeking bullets and that the rest of the world yearns to become exactly like Nebraska, if only some noble and pure American Soldiers show them the way and shoot enough of their relatives.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Omi-Polari posted:

So IF I WAS PRESIDENT my grandmaster plan would be detente with Iran, continue building relations with China, and massive military containment of Russia starting yesterday.

Yep.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Genocide Tendency posted:

Jeb Bush would be a not terrible choice for president.

He wouldn't change much. Wouldn't get anything of real importance done. And he won't appoint anyone of note.

Basically it would be 4-8 years of "I think something happened??".

That's what George W was sold as too. Gather round, and hear the tales of the 2000 election. The world was peaceful. The democrat was boring and a little corrupt. The republican was compassionate and super moderate. What's the worst that can happen?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Fart Sandwiches posted:

What's funny is that empire story even reads like some fake stuff. It's not even good satire.

I think that's their deal. It's deliberately fake news designed as clickbait, the satire thing is hallow because there are never any actual jokes.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

North Korea is exactly the sort of place that would send over some people to bomb a movie theater because of a national insult. Spite fueled terrorism is their whole thing. As soon as they stop being a credible scary country they lose everything, so they need to continuously act crazy and do at least enough to back up their crazy.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I think they hired these hackers.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Co-morbidity with the general right wing sense that America is being taken away from them, which is in turn fueled by the tragic dawning of an age in which it is not okay to treat women like property, gays are considered people, and shifting social standards enable minorities to complain about being murdered or even sometimes hold high elected office. And also the average American getting poorer. And the average right winger is crawling ever closer to death's door. It all comes together in sort of a proto-fascist haze of simultaneous indignation and revulsion at the future, a sense that rights have been taken away and more deprivations are just around the corner. Fortunately the people who feel this way are useless and we are not in danger of an actual uprising. Just really lovely facebook memes. Endless, endless facebook memes.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

North Korea's internet is down from what is probably a DDOS.

In related and unsurprising news, apparently North Korea's entire internet can be shut down by a DDOS.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/23/world/asia/attack-is-suspected-as-north-korean-internet-collapses.html?_r=0

quote:

Doug Madory, the director of Internet analysis at Dyn Research, an Internet performance management company, said that North Korean Internet access first became unstable late Friday. The situation worsened over the weekend, and by Monday, North Korea’s Internet was completely offline.

“Their networks are under duress,” Mr. Madory said. “This is consistent with a DDoS attack on their routers,” he said, referring to a distributed denial of service attack, in which attackers flood a network with traffic until it collapses under the load.

North Korea does very little commercial or government business over the Internet. The country officially has 1,024 Internet protocol addresses, though the actual number may be somewhat higher. By comparison, the United States has billions of addresses.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Omi-Polari posted:

The way it works in Russia is you have a bunch of different state-owned (either directly or indirectly) networks that promote different ludicrous conspiracy theories. Lots of different pro-government messages works better than a single one. Fewer people have internet, too. Russia has a lower internet penetration rate than Morocco.

RT is particularly great because it's directed at foreign audiences so you get a mishmash of crazy. You'll see some fish-eyed Maoist propagandist, or a bipolar neo-Nazi promoted as a "human rights expert" who'd later get sentenced to three years in prison for an anti-Semitic hate crime. The point isn't to promote a particular ideological vision but to confuse and disorient people.

RT is pretty much the Fox News / talk radio of the far left. I see them on facebook linked by pretty much the polar opposite of the Obummer meme people. Think everything is hosed up? Believe in conspiracies? Great, now just choose your flavor, and a convenient obviously biased media service will be there for you.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I will never stop lolling at how most Russians think Nazis were a gay Jewish joint.

Whoever runs RT in English has been smart enough to not run articles about the homonazi menace. Yet. But I am looking forward to some great comedy in 2015.

also wonder how long it is before dudes in portland with beards are sharing articles about how if you think about it, Alaska was like, stolen from the Russians, and also, isn't like, Putin super handsome? We're already halfway to the latter in the RT club.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Every time there's a two term presidency, about year 6 everyone hates the president, and each and every time this is treated as a new and unique event which says something fundamental about the president in question.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The thing about protests is they don't have membership requirements, and crazy people love protests. Any right wing protest is going to get racists, really dumb people, and really dumb racists. Any left wing protest is going to get whiny white kids who yearn to have their own little revolutionary bloodbath. Both will have conspiracy theorists. This makes any opponent of any modern protest able to get easy sound bites of crazy people being crazy, discrediting the whole movement. I have a pet theory that a small part of what made union protests successful in the era of unionization was that social norms of the time enabled protestors to beat the living poo poo out of undesirable hangers-on.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

P sure rounds expended per kill includes training rounds expended, so the metric is backwards. The higher rounds per kill the better trained the military.

The problem is how low the ratio is. Def not enough shooting practice. Mop time v rifle time is insanely unbalanced in the janitorial direction. and that is a place money can help a lot in.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 30, 2014

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

poo poo has gone downhill every since Mr Rogers left the corps.

Spicy Guacamole posted:

That's dumb because it'll still blast them in half. You want to aim for their canteen so that it only blows their arms off.

pro move is to fire 50 cal "warning shots." The air pressure is so extreme it will kill anyone who the bullet flies next to. Oohrah

Best Friends
"Face Front Towards Enemey"
:twisted:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I'm just going to tell these 19 year olds with barely any education or experience with people other than themselves that they are going to a land full of evil savages who personally destroyed the world trade center, and that their mission in life is to kill, then i'm going to act extremely shocked and disappointed when some of them actually shoot iraqis. then i'm going to go on television and assure america that we are building a new, better, democratic iraq once the security conditions improve. then, I'm going to ask the 19 year olds to tear down some schools so iraqi peasants from the other kind of islam can build a fortress there instead. then i'm going to be extremely shocked when some iraqi peasants from the other kind of islam kill rape and pillage the local area.

Oh no, it didn't work! It was probably because we didn't have enough "will."

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

meanwhile, in a landlocked ancient shithole

hmmm, pouring infinite money into the most backwards, corrupt society on earth has not actually translated into scalable, viable infrastructure projects. and somehow, this society full of people who cannot read has not become a functioning democracy either.

man, this lack of will is sure killing us here. just not enough gumption really. just need to put our backs into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

In GBS there was the ulilila (s/p?) thread where a totally harmless autistic guy who wanted nothing more than to sit around, eat pizza and program a 2d side scrolling video game had

- his sister's nudes found, distributed, and repeatedly sent to him by gbs dudes
-gbs dudes repeatedly asking him if he wanted to gently caress his sister
-his every facebook status met with gbs dudes "owning" him
-gbs posters in communication with his parents asking if they could buy him stuff
-gbs posters buying him stuff anyway
-gbs posters having some sort of lottery or contest or something to go on a date with him
-gbs posters just coming over and hanging out then going to gbs to talk about the monster ownage of the harmless autistic guy they did

These people can all still post here and think this stuff was fine and normal.

• Locked thread