Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Obama Africanus posted:

Ferguson is going down soon. I'm inSt Louis Saturday and Sunday- I got a couple of state trooper bro's who are kinda nervous. Local LE may have poisoned the thing too far and out of towners might actually be a thing (Tm).

You hear about the charming guys they arrested buying bomb parts? Some of those wonderful lads from New Black Panther Party.*

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/two-men-arrested-connection-ferguson-bomb-plot

*I swear they're so moronic you'd think they were a false flag group run by some very dumb white people.

Edit :lol:

quote:

According to a federal indictment, the two suspects, Brandon Orlando Baldwin and Olajuwon Davis, made false statements while purchasing two guns, Hi-Point ACP pistols, at a Cabela’s sporting good store in Hazelwood, Mo. – about five miles from Ferguson – sometime between Nov. 1 and Nov. 13. Two officials told NBC News that the men claimed to be associated with the New Black Panther Party and that they also wanted to acquire bombs.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Equine Don posted:

What's really fun is having a friend who is on the protest committee, and having a friend who is a 3%er.

Tempted to play them off each other for entertainment?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hagel is stepping down. No idea why as the tv had the sound off at work.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grand Jury reached a decision, anyone want to do odds on outcomes?

Decision is coming later today.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/24/justice/ferguson-grand-jury/

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sounds about right.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shyduck posted:

Grand jury announcement pushed back to 8pm CST. He's going to be acquitted, and they want everybody off the roads when he is.

Was it ever actually set for an earlier time?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shyduck posted:

Originally set for 4pm CST.

Logic is screaming at me that there's no other reason to delay a verdict that's already in 4 hours into the evening unless you're trying to mitigate a potential riot.

Oh yeah if that's the case then yeah it would be odd to delay it if not for that reason.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Helldump Immunity. posted:

Digging the av.

2:1 Zim Zam and Darren Wilson fight zombie Tray tray and Mikey for racial supremacy.

Regular, Steel Cage, or Barbed Wire?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smiling Jack posted:

What the hell is tactical alert

Sexyfuntime.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Playing this with the prosecutor at the same time is pretty hilarious.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't know Robert Loggia is a MO Prosecutor.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stultus Maximus posted:

I prefer "A five year old holding onto Hulk Hogan"

"What you going to do Darren Wilson, when Brownamania runs all over you!"

While not proper BAH GAWD ITS MICHAEL BROWN is an option too.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blocking cars, always a smart idea.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ActusRhesus posted:

I just asked if anyone has actually read the (now publicly available) transcripts. Actual response:

no one is going to and no one needs to.

WHY WOULD I POSSIBLY NEED TO KNOW WHAT ACTUALLY WAS SAID BEFORE FORMING AN OPINION ABOUT IT?

I just...I can't...

I hate this planet.

Small consolation it's thanksgiving tomorrow and they have to interact with their families. I like to think lots of sperged out "gently caress you dad" and "literally shaking" will occur.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maarek posted:

No kidding. It's kind of a shame that there's only this thread if we want to post about how upset those people get, honestly it would be cool if there was a whole forum where we could do that and be free of the groupthink.

I'm pretty sure numerous threads exist across the sub forums for that. D&D has an almost universal stupidity that transcends subject classifcation and manages to touch everyone with its awfulness.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maarek posted:

You would know better than me, you post in D&D quite a lot, but I don't want to be labeled like that. The problem with D&D is that they just ignore and cover for people who post outrageously wrong things because those guys are on 'their side'. I think we can all appreciate that is a bad way to run a thread and I'm glad it doesn't happen here, which is exactly why we should use this thread as a model.

Pretty much, this thread rules.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Godholio posted:

All of which they are already experienced with since dashcams became a common thing...25 years ago? There is nothing preventing this except the obvious budget plus-up and probably some of the unions.
A department in Washington was actually planning to use it, but shelved it, after an "anonymous Internet libertarian" made insane amounts of foia requests on I want to say Seattle, that it's costing them a fortune and to the point where even the ACLU isn't defending the guy. So there is alao that, I'll have to find the article.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Sounds like an issue better addressed by streamlining the FOIA process rather than the other way around. It's not like there's an expectation of privacy when talking to a police officer on duty, and it shouldn't be complicated to carve out an exception when private conversations do need to happens - perhaps turning the camera off if both the officer and person being talked to agree to turn it off, and there is more than one officer in the room.

It wasn't so much the process as much as just costs and the guy make these massive requests and iirc the cost is incurred by the department. Anyway I need to find the article when I get home.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here it is

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2025060346_spdcamerasxml.html

This is pretty funny though.

quote:

Contacted this week through his email address, the man who made the requests responded immediately by email and phone. He declined to identify himself, saying only that he is a computer programmer in his 20s and lives in Seattle with his parents.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 26, 2014

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zeroisanumber posted:

^^Have you prayed hard enough to the COIN gods?

New Afghan president decided that we could do night raids again. Haven't seen much else in the news.

So when are we catering weddings again?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

maffew buildings posted:

Let's just take all that in cash, make a huge pile, let some of Tom Clancy's biggest fans jack off on it then let the afternburner of an A-10 immolate it as it takes off to strafe a wedding instead of training Iraq

That's still a better value then training Iraq.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bolow posted:

or happen to be within 40yds of an NYPD officer

Being kind of generous there.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LongDarkNight posted:

What is that man doing to his lunch!

Diets are getting weirder and weirder.

"I lost weight using this one crazy CIA trick."

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Was the rectal stuff more, "gently caress this guy I'm doing something whacky" as opposed to "hey I just got this great idea for information extraction"?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Valid question too.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zeroisanumber posted:

I thought that Johnson's legal justification was post hoc, something that he threw together to make wasting Americans with drones sound dubiously legal after we wasted al-Awlaki and that propagandist butt boy of his from Virginia.

I'm slightly confused on why it's such a big problem in the first place. Wouldn't the fact that they're hanging around people you're authorized to waste and aiding those people be enough? I mean just don't write in the Log at the fart trailer at Nellis that he was the main target. I feel like I'm missing something.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ActusRhesus posted:

the problem comes down to the question of whether or not he was in fact an authorized target under LOAC, which boils down to whether or not you believe in the concept of a borderless "global war" which Obama said he doesn't, or whether LOAC requires a recognized theater of armed conflict, and what exactly classifies someone as a belligerent vs. a run of the mill criminal. And then there's the moral "US citizen" angle. I could go on and on about this if you want. But it would be :words:

Ah I see. I just remember having to to this argument for a law school final and going with its legal via AUMF and such...got a B- or B I think. FWIW this was back when it was theoretical and what his name hadn't been to the Hell fire Club yet.

Going back to my earlier point what if the official target is someone else and oh darn shitlord happens to be there? Both wink wink and oh wow look who the hell we got too, does that change the calculus at all in your view?

Edit I generally don't view citizenship as driving a big part of the process...but I'm also presuming the person is aiding or part of the enemy force in a combat zone. It's not like you could have just let drones handle people some goofs in the US outside of some weird scenarios that are more the realm of action movies.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 11, 2014

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I think my argument was he was part of the AQ brand and pledged loyalty to Osama and AQ. The pledge of fealty was akin to placing himself and AQAP under the AQ command structure. Not the best argument, but somewhat workable at the time.

There is also the issue of if you are assisting an ally (in their country) who is allowing your presence and to conduct military operations against a mutual enemy. I'm pretty sure for example the "legitimate" Somalia government gives us carte blanc, and we bought Pakistans and Yemen. I haven't heard that one formally argued (well besides Somalia for obvious reasons), but it could be another way to allow a bite at the apple.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 11, 2014

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waroduce posted:

Re: law chat

Does the AUMF cover the strike into Pakistan for Bin Laden? As far as I know, Americans have been strictly forbidden from operating in Pakistan, even in a limited cross border capacity a-la Vietnam and Cambodia with the Ho Chi Mihn trail.

Im curious about the legalese surrounding that or if there was any?

E: ground forces forbidden not drones.

Well I do recall that, because we are not at war with Pakistan, the ground forces (and others) of Neptune Spear were actually transferred to the CIA from the US military.

Which has always made me wonder how that is done in terms of benefits and paperwork.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I want to know what Biden wanted because you know it has to be :krad:

For some reason I recall Biden liked drone strike or the B2 Strike.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Godholio posted:

It's like somebody who never even saw the movie turned it into a cartoon.

Who am I kidding, that's exactly what happened.

Not quite, they were just advised by the shows educational advisor (no really), that kids wouldn't grasp a Vietnam vet with PTSD...so best to ignore it entirely.

Show was cool and the toys loving owned.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Generation Internet posted:

Regional parliament is like right next door:

Choose 1 target for your politically motivated attack:

- Parliament
- News Station
- National Bank
- Supreme Court
- Lindt Cafe

Don't forget your flag!

Well arguably the Lindt shop is the least likely to have an armed guard and is a soft target with a lot of people. Similar to that mall in Kenya. Parliament attacks require state funding to pull off usually (see Pakistan).

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

psydude posted:

Canada still wins the killing Jihadists in the most badass way possible contest.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ActusRhesus posted:

Oh, come on. Charles not abdicating would be the best IRL troll job ever.

or would just prove the monarchy is now irrelevant when no one decides to give a gently caress.

No, Prince Phillip taking the throne would be. He'd be awesome.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vasudus posted:

Average is like, 6? For at least 100k for the hellfire. Not a very good cost ratio.

Unless it's a wedding, then it's like 80.

How many weddings is the US supposed to have it? I recall one in Afghanistan and one ot two in Pakistan or is it because some of the only times people pop up is on the way to some sort of gathering or wedding. I mean I know it's mostly used in joking terms, just wondering how often it happened.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Casimir Radon posted:

Reestablishing our relationship with Cuba would probably hasten chucking the Castro regime into the garbage.

Plus the infusion of US capital will basically allow us to make it a client state.

Florida Cuban reaction will be hilarious to watch though.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

holocaust bloopers posted:

There's plenty of "free speech died today" comments on the internet regarding Sony pulling the movie from release. I don't think those people understand what free speech applies to, but OK.

Well considering it definitely was the Norks, so say the FBI (an announcement could come as early as tomorrow apparently) it's slightly different then a private corporation making a call. I think its more the generally concept about being able to make a movie and not have a pudgy little bastard use something that is a borderline act of war (depends how you view a cyber attack from one nation state on a non nation state) to prevent its release.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-has-concluded-north-korea-is-behind-sony-hack-1418861023

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 18, 2014

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yea the FBI might have something credible to back this up. I didn't think this was Sony's decision.

That said I do think Sony wants the movie to go away at this point. Interestingly I think their current stance might actually get more people wanting to see it, some of if only to piss off Big uns.

If anything it cements him as an unstable whack job who exposed the core of his countries (only) elite special forces that doesn't fight with pointy sticks to the world to study in detail and counter balance. It also makes his dad of all people seem less petty as at least his idea of terrorism was trying to murder the entire ROK leadership at a funereal one time. I mean it's not like they stole money or goods. This is literally just "gently caress you don't make fun of me."

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I think at least one of them is just whitenoise trolling, though.

:stare:

Arc light everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kazinsal posted:

I dunno man, I think Kim Young'un would have enjoyed The Interview. Sometimes it just seems like he doesn't give a gently caress about anything as long as there's cake.

Nah, his dad was more the movie buff. Actually you can find his dads "thesis" he wrote on amazon of all places. :lol:

Dudes Godzilla knockoff film he made with a kidnapped crew loving sucked though.

• Locked thread