Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

justice4trayvawn posted:

lmao Internet Posting Serious Stuff

HDI and I were just discussing how chill you've been lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

justice4trayvawn posted:

I love hdi and i love logan but your state hatred is odd and rude

LET THE RECORD SHOW

I thought this said my state was odd and rude and I was ready to agree.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Booblord Zagats posted:

I swear that GiP is the only forum where people can actually say "oh poo poo, sorry dude, I was wrong" and people act like sensible humans about it.

I love you faggots, each and every one of you.

Also, someone ran over some protesters in Minnesota because apparently the way to be mad about something in Missouri is disrupt traffic in Minneapolis?

http://kstp.com/news/stories/s3631519.shtml

Good. gently caress you, idiots blocking the street because you don't care enough to do anything productive.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

Is anyone else greatly amused that OPEC is putting the screws to Russia by not cutting production?

Getting a serious bear and the dragon vibe off the whole thing.

That's actually one of the most entertaining things about the whole scenario. I wonder if it's motivated by the Iranian nuke program or what, though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'd like to see that too, because I don't see how it costs much more than other gear every officer is provided.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BexGu posted:

For the web side:

Storage and retention space (How much? What video quality? Black and white or color? How long?)
Indexing and uploading of data after shift (Who does it? Is there additional meta data associated with the video?)
Local server space or remote cloud storage (What is the backup plan? Who is in charge of running it? What is the access protocol?)

That is just off the top of my head. Not even counting the design and UI of the upload and retrieve system.

All of which they are already experienced with since dashcams became a common thing...25 years ago? There is nothing preventing this except the obvious budget plus-up and probably some of the unions.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Bolow posted:

Even if Iran managed to get its enrichment program in full swing would they even be able to develop, test and miniaturize a bomb to a remotely usable size quickly enough to not get deep dicked by the entire Arab world? I mean the goddamn Norks have an atom bomb but it's like 3x bigger than the trinity bomb and a 1/3rd as powerful.

If I'm Qatar or the UAE or Kuwait I don't care because that's enough to blanket most of my land in poo poo that makes it even more of a horrible wasteland.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Don't forget the benefit of not having to deal with people 99% of the time. And if that 1% is too much you can just Todd Beamer everyone around you.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

At least we'll get another RLM review.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The Romans owned England pretty solidly, for about 300 years; more like 450 if you count footholds. They didn't bother putting much effort into Scotland though. One emperor wanted it & traveled to lead the invasion himself (Septimius Severus) but was old, sick, and died after a brutal first attempt. His sons were too busy vying for power to get the campaign going again. Rome owned England until it began drawing back its borders due to the political clusterfuck that made management virtually impossible and the threat of invasion elsewhere.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

DAS Super! posted:

So did building a wall keep the lessers out?

Worked better than the Chinese version. The Romans also kept up what could loosely be termed "diplomatic relations" with the tribes beyond the wall, though. Negotiations and bribery, the usual poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Obama Africanus posted:

P.S. gently caress all you human being pearl clutching American hating anti-Missourians. The big MO is the official state of GiP, being the only state to give us a president willing to fight with nuclear fire and local cops to take brave enough to put down choomed out young Rodney Kings before they get their CDL's and become highway patrol's problem.

I don't know that MO is even worth hating. Is it known for anything besides racism and launching B-2s?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Goddamned Walking Dead, man. JRR Martin must've ghostwritten this episode.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'd buy a book of shimisms. There'd have to be quotes taken from his rap sheet scattered throughout, and the cover art...man, the cover art...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Did the SJWs, in their busy body rage over Michael Brown, forget about that 12 year old kid in Cleavland who done got shotted to death already?

The one who drew a bb gun (with no orange) from his waistband when cops told him to put his hands up?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Flikken posted:

Luckily they have large neighbor with the manpower and resources to help them secure it and clean it up.

or else

holocaust bloopers posted:

We're one step closer to one F-22 owning 4 Phantoms, which is sad because Phantoms are loving awesome.

6 Phantoms.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm actually glad the idea to retire a quarter of the AWACS fleet got canned. Ops certainly won't be cut to make up for it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The military is a tool for increasing contract profitability for companies based in powerful congressional districts.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Bolow posted:

cosby's only mistake was not being an honorary officer when he did it

He'll be an honorary AF colonel by next week.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

The general idea (that I am horribly paraphrasing for a number of reasons) is that the DoD is developing their health infrastructure to basically replace the VA in the early parts of the caregiving cycle. Basically no matter the injury, if you sustained it while you're on AD, the DoD wants to handle it. Once your condition has reached the point where the general mass incompetence of the VA can do the job, they hand you over. This method is both considerably cheaper and faster than trying to improve the situation with the VA.

The new military health infrastructure is so amazingly different from any previous DoD initiatives it's hard to believe Uncle Sam is behind it. We still have an incredible amount of work to do though. The general idea is that when the next big war breaks out, we might actually be prepared for it this time. It also paves the way for the VA to maybe possibly exit the general healthcare fields in the like mid-2020s.

With luck McCain will retire before hearing about this.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

:lol: at anyone who thinks the art market has the first clue what constitutes good art. Reminder: Damien Hirst and Richard Prince were both made millionaires.

How many good artists can you name that haven't had success in "the art market?"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

Vermeer was never more than a local tradesman and died in debt.
Gauguin was broke most of his life, and his paintings sell for a solid eight figures today.

You'll note I didn't caveat "in their lifetimes." The only reason anyone knows the name of a single loving artist in the world besides Banksy is because of the art market.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

50 Foot Ant posted:

Heat dissipation is one of the major hurdles of some modern technology.

But using the FUEL as a loving heat-sink just makes me envision the goddamn Challenger. I mean, I'm not an engineer or anything like that, but holy poo poo.

I mean, from the get-go everything I've read on the F-35 just seems insane.

Why don't they just put wings on one of the Old Sergeant Yorks and call it good.

Drive a car built since about 1995? Obviously not to the same degree (no pun intended) but your fuel is keeping your fuel pump from overheating and dying.

Edit: Ok, so this has been beaten to death already.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Not droning American citizens is the ultimate expression of privilege and American exceptionalism.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

As a transrobot I'm outraged and literally shaking at the idea of my people being used as test subjects or objects of amusement.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Vasudus didn't always do a good job. :ssh:

Talk about victim blaming...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

We'd have to give it to them for free, otherwise they'll pay for it by stealing from regular people who matter.

I'm fine with this. loving pay for it with Social Security, I don't care.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ActusRhesus posted:

No I'm not...I just throw a fit if someone disagrees with me, remember. (I still love the complete failure to recognize the misogynistic implications of that statement.

I'm disappointed you weren't accused of hysteric.

Oh hey, it's forums user and mic-dropper Anne Frank Fanfic.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You don't teach yourself to wrench or paint on the new Lambo. You use that grossly unsafe and barely running POS.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Never. I mean, it used to function better, but let's not forget we've had fist fights in Congress and a sitting Vice President of the United States shot and killed a former Secretary of the Treasury.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Courthouse posted:

Nope, it's worse than that.

The actual horrible truth is that ISIS is not all that special, and marauding bands of rapists and murderers is neither new nor uncommon today or through history. The major difference between them and all the murderous barbarians or civilization founding child molesters through history is that their brutality and contempt for human life and dignity is more starkly contrasted once put next to modern civilized morals.

Because :lol: if you think this kind of poo poo isn't exactly what was going on when Rome/Mongolia/Vikings/Crusaders/the Inca rode into town. I know we sanitize the gently caress out of history to the point that you'd think Caesar and friends were swell guys, but it's a big loving mistake thinking ISIS is some loving pinnacle of exceptional evil incomparable to every other time humans have been terrible to one another. History is replete with this poo poo. Because true evil is banal and mundane, not exceptional, and that's what makes it so loving scary.

(same goes for Hitler and his ilk, main difference there wasn't that nazi's were worse than any other conquering people through history genociding the local undesireables. It was that the nazis were more determined and efficient at it)

As to the anti-ISIS propaganda, the issue there is really not that we should be worrying about them having their image tarnished. It is the agendas pushed by said propaganda. And we would do well to notice them rather than just swallowing everything bad said about them, on the logic that they are evil so no harm in a few lies adding more.

Because we have a history of evil Arabs being falsely accused, and as it turns out that is actually a big loving deal that ends up with the west getting stuck head first in the shitter.

Hint;

All true. What makes it different now is rapid transportation and direct access to real time or near real time information. Instead of hearing rumors and reports of the atrocities of the Moors crossing into Spain, we can watch ISIS behead people almost immediately. Instead of worrying that they'll be here after a couple of campaign seasons marching, they can be here in a matter of hours if they can scrounge up a few hundred bucks for a plane ticket. Realistic or not, it shapes peoples' opinions.

Edit:

Completely changing gears, but this is cool.
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20141213_A_historic_collection_found_in_S__Phila__home.html#SfjdsVpgE5uKdRTw.01

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

I am perfectly okay with "Kick their rear end and take their gas" if we could adequately kick their rear end, or successfully take their gas.

We could, we just don't want to.

Zeroisanumber posted:

ISIS is what we have special operations dudes and drones for. Bomb the poo poo out of them from the air and give the Kurds a bunch of shiny new weapons and some hardasses with radios and laser targeters to call in airstrikes. We can throw money at this problem until they all die.

Worked in Afghanistan the first time around.

Edit: Article on uniforms is pretty good.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 13, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

We use the Kurds. They are not our friends, except sporadically when it suits us. We used them against Iraq several times, including during OIF. Fast forward a couple of years later and we, the United States, literally watched Turkey bomb them in impressive fashion. When I say literally, I mean we could see the explosions and correlate them to the waves of strike aircraft. We moved to get a better view.

Friends.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Omi-Polari posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLop82LjV48

throw some A-10s in there for kicks (and by kicks i mean erections)

It's like somebody who never even saw the movie turned it into a cartoon.

Who am I kidding, that's exactly what happened.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

So uh...who's gonna make those laws that the US is supposed to enforce?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

I've never seen rip-its outside if the military. Is it a fine Skilcraft product?

They were in dollar stores here a couple of years ago, not sure if they still are.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

That looks like an uncut dick with the head sticking out.

They got the size right. :mmmsmug:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They can probably gently caress with any of our vast amounts of unsecured online infrastructure, or DDOS a bunch of poo poo (look what blizzard's been dealing with lately), or other cyber poo poo we're woefully incapable of defending against.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:911: Godspeed, Stephen. :911:

http://www.vox.com/2014/12/19/7419893/colbert-finale-song#ooid=9hNzRkcjrVyRnOXGdJS9-Ft2sqFLDN8q

Edit: V Excellent, I couldn't find it on youtube, I don't think it was up yet.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUy1-JakJtE

how the gently caress did they miss Big Bird

Also Randy Newman on the loving piano.

• Locked thread