Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
I notice that Kirby have a pose button, so what are some of the poses Kirby can do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope
Some of you have very strange ideas about Kirby. Here is what I know about Kirby: Kirby is cute, and Kirby likes to help.
Speaking of strange ideas, whose idea was it to make an entire island out of explosions?
Level 5 - Endless Explosions

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
Wow, that Dee at the end of Stage 2. Trying so hard to not be eaten by the terrible monster that is Kirby.

I have never felt so bad for an enemy in a video game.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

Robust Laser posted:

Wow, that Dee at the end of Stage 2. Trying so hard to not be eaten by the terrible monster that is Kirby.

I have never felt so bad for an enemy in a video game.

It's not Kirby's fault that all Dees are that delicous.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
On the one hand, a King belongs in a castle, but on the other, Dedede has proven himself multiple times to be a Dirty Rascal, placing him outside the castle.

I'm starting to think Tarantor is using Dedede to bait Kirby into following him. If you required the aid of both Dedede and Kirby, I know which one would be easier to catch.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Well that was blatant false advertising. I didn't count any explosions, let alone an endless amount of them. But thank you for letting Noddy sleep.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Pyribbit is probably the most annoying boss in this game because of how much time he spends in the background.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
:stare: I did not know about the Ninja's reed. That's cool, I thought you had to bring in a power from a different level for that.

While I love most of the boss fights in this game, this world's boss is pretty bad. It takes the background foreground switching too far, leaving you very limited opportunities to attack. You know, kind of like playing without a power. Except you might as well do that since that does more damage than using a power.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've beaten this game twice and only when watching this do I realise that the level names spell out Flower. I'm a fool.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I've beaten this game twice and only when watching this do I realise that the level names spell out Flower. I'm a fool.

Return to Dreamland had CROWNED, Kirby's Adventure had ROYGBIV backwards, so it's not the first time HAL did this.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Oh man, it is good to hear that jazzy tune from near the end of Kirby 64 return for the midboss gauntlet in 5-5.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The animation for eating those eels is ruthless.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Best power is Mirror. Always Mirror.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
I haaaaate Pyribbit, he's the worst. Of all the bosses, it took me the longest to memorise where the safe spots should be during his attacks, and, having watched you do it, I still didn't actually find them all (I never considered attacks could be ducked, weh).

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Gridlocked posted:

Best power is Mirror. Always Mirror.

What a weird misspelling of Jet.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

George posted:

The animation for eating those eels is ruthless.

That was one of the first times I felt the game actually made Kirby look like some sort of eldritch horror like the fans like to say. I legitimately felt bad for the eels.

soonmide
Sep 10, 2006

The animation when defeating Pyribbit feels strangely brutal for a kirby game. He gets into a fight because he thinks kirby whacked him with a rock, and then ends up Definitely Super Crushed by one hundred stalactites, while submerged in lava... it's a little harsh.

I mean, kirby games do have their patches of out of place volatility here and there, but this one ends up feeling stranger to me. Most of the times kirby defeats something there's very little sign of any harsh consequences beyond silly explosions, or, um, sometimes the complete destruction of their very soul. Those souls were super menacing, though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Please stop calling the Gondolas boats.

I mean, it's a great visual pun. They look like actual Venetian Gondolas but they act like cable car Gondolas. The pun fails if you call them 'boats'.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I mean, it's a great visual pun. They look like actual Venetian Gondolas but they act like cable car Gondolas. The pun fails if you call them 'boats'.

Is a gondola not a boat?

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope

Carbon dioxide posted:

All things are boat or cage, and they don't look like cages to me.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
So you're Drake from Advance Wars?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ArcadePark posted:

Return to Dreamland had CROWNED, Kirby's Adventure had ROYGBIV backwards, so it's not the first time HAL did this.
That is actually really cool and I didn't know that.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

:stare: I did not know about the Ninja's reed. That's cool, I thought you had to bring in a power from a different level for that.

In other Kirby games (Squeak Squad I think) Ninja can tiptoe around on the surface of the water, which lets you fight in places that it is normally hard to fight in.

Squeak Squad was great for having a bunch of powers that did a bunch of things

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I actually enjoy fighting Pyribbit. He's the biggest challenge up to that point, boss-wise, and can be a little tricky.

I do, however, agree that he does spend a little too much time in the background and is a jerk.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

medibot posted:

All things are boat or cage, and they don't look like cages to me.

So which one is Kirby? He can float like a boat, but he captures things like a cage.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Cleretic posted:

So which one is Kirby? He can float like a boat, but he captures things like a cage.

It's an inclusive or, so the possibility of one thing being both exists.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
For someone who claimed to be bad at the Goal Game, you sure are good at the Goal Game.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
This month's Club Nintendo games-you-can-buy-with-points-from-buying-Nintendo-stuff includes Kirby's Dream Land 3, and I found it an interesting exercise to note the differences between it and later games, which take much more after Super Star's mechanics. For starters, movement in DL3 was much slower and more stiff, with floating being extremely slow, so jumping and sliding became vital to dodging effectively. Powers were generally weaker and less available, because bosses were meant to be fought the old-fashioned way, spitting stuff back at them (though Nago!Fire was actually the most effective way to deal with every boss besides Acro, who was best fought with Kine!Fire). The level design tended to work against your powers, too, due to their restrictive hitboxes. Post-damage invincibility was much shorter, too, it was very easy to take damage multiple times from certain obstacles or enemy attacks.

It goes to show just how much of Super Star made its way into Return to Dream Land and Triple Deluxe. Kirby's much faster and more mobile (that little bounce you get after jumping is not something to take for granted), and copy abilities are emphasized over inhaling and spitting, with much larger hitboxes compared to Dream Land 2/3. And when you get hit, you actually have time to regain your bearings. Anyone who's played the whole series can probably pick out all the little ways the newer games resemble older games, like, a lot of the level design elements of Return to Dream Land and Triple Deluxe are taken from Kirby 64, which tended more towards linearity with the occasional sidetrack for collectibles and quirky setpieces, whereas Super Star had a penchant for wide-open rooms that encouraged exploring every nook and cranny, with frequent miniboss fights.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Hey, Medibot? What's the quality of the 3DS capture card thingy you have like? Your videos seem kind of fuzzy, but I don't know if that's because of your encoding process or because the card doesn't exactly grab crisp digital video.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

FredMSloniker posted:

Hey, Medibot? What's the quality of the 3DS capture card thingy you have like? Your videos seem kind of fuzzy, but I don't know if that's because of your encoding process or because the card doesn't exactly grab crisp digital video.

It might be Youtube playing the videos at a lower quality than they should be since that does happen sometimes with newly posted vids.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

FredMSloniker posted:

I think that's just how the Html5 player makes 60fps videos look. At least, that's my experience.

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope
If you want a video, bad news! You don't get a video today! You get two videos! I made some small extra videos with a few things I wanted to explore further in Endless Explosions.
First up, here's the other path through stage 5:
Bonus Time - Even More Endless Explosions
Second, I went back and tried some other abilities for the battle against Pyribbit. It's very educational!
Bonus Time - Winners Don't Lose Frogs

FredMSloniker posted:

The quality of the capture device itself is superb, but it captures at the 3DS's native resolution, which is 400x240 on top (and 320x240 on bottom, but I'm giving you the top screen nearly all the time). Since this is way too small for a video, I scale it up Lanczos4-style and add some black bars so that it ends up at 1280x720, which is a good resolution to give to Youtube.

I don't think I can do anything to make it look any nicer at that size.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

medibot posted:

The quality of the capture device itself is superb, but it captures at the 3DS's native resolution, which is 400x240 on top (and 320x240 on bottom, but I'm giving you the top screen nearly all the time). Since this is way too small for a video, I scale it up Lanczos4-style and add some black bars so that it ends up at 1280x720, which is a good resolution to give to Youtube.
Ah. Not using 'nearest neighbor' is why it's not crisp. Good to know!

e: there's nothing wrong with your method, I hasten to add. I'd just do it differently.

soonmide
Sep 10, 2006

It's kinda neat how long the ability stars stick around onscreen after you drop or lose your ability. I think this game and return to dreamland wanted to make your copy powers even more versatile and fun, and to pretty much allow you to keep your favourite power for however long you like, save for some set pieces here and there. Older kirby games didn't have as many moves per power, but you also ended up switching on the fly a lot more. Come to think of it, the first few kirby games had you lose your power every time you took damage, right?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

soonmide posted:

Come to think of it, the first few kirby games had you lose your power every time you took damage, right?

Yep. I actually didn't like using powers against bosses in the older Kirby games. They felt way too weak, especially since they could only do one attack. It seemed like just swallowing stars and spitting them back was more effective.

Some nice convenience features with ability stars in this game, are that swallowing an enemy and an ability star at the same time gives you back the ability in the ability star. But swallowing an ability star and a mini-boss gives you the mini-boss' ability since it's more likely you're trying to swallow the mini-boss on purpose.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

I remember in Kirby Super Stars, where the most powerful abilities weren't the ones that dealt damage from afar, but the ones that actually attacked stars and star-like objects directly, like Suplex.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

EclecticTastes posted:

Super Star/Dream Land 3

Short answer: Dreamland 2, 3 and Kirby 64 were all directed by one guy (Shinichi Shimomura), and after helping Sakurai on Nightmare in Dreamland he seems to have dropped off the face of the earth; even the Japanese communities I've seen have no idea what happened to him. Either way, the pendulum swung back towards Sakurai-style Kirby after that (even though Sakurai wasn't around, either).

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Does this game have Mix?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Short answer: Dreamland 2, 3 and Kirby 64 were all directed by one guy (Shinichi Shimomura), and after helping Sakurai on Nightmare in Dreamland he seems to have dropped off the face of the earth; even the Japanese communities I've seen have no idea what happened to him. Either way, the pendulum swung back towards Sakurai-style Kirby after that (even though Sakurai wasn't around, either).

Yeah, which is sad, because Shimomura was the guy behind the entire Dark Matter storyline, easily my favorite "plot" among all Kirby games. It was also the greatest tonal contrast between Kirby and his enemy, Dark Matter being pretty frickin' creepy in Dream Land 3 and 64. He also focused on economizing a small number of abilities during the design process, either by using the Animal Friends, or by introducing the Power Combination system. The Shimomura games are easily the more challenging games, compared to the stuff following Sakurai's style. On the other hand, if I wanted to be challenged by my video games, I wouldn't be playing Kirby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope
The differences between the Shimomura-directed and Sakurai-directed Kirby games make a significant difference in how the games feel. In Shimomura's "Dream Land" series, the pace is more relaxed, and abilities tend to have one function. The emphasis is on changing abilities by changing out part of the combination that makes up the ability: the helper or ability in Dream Land 2 and 3, or one of the two abilities in 64. One minor change that I think would improve Kirby 64 in this regard would be the ability to split a combination ability apart, thereby allowing the player to exchange half of it, rather than having to give it up entirely to change abilities. However, I recognize that in implementing such functionality, the control complexity necessarily increases, which stands in opposition to the overall design of Kirby games. In Sakurai's "Adventure" series, the pace is faster, and abilities tend to have more functions. It deemphasizes a frequent changing of abilities and instead encourages sticking with an ability that you like and adapting its move list to the game's challenges. Both directors have valid approaches, and preferring one to the other is largely a matter of personal taste.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Does this game have Mix?

Mix is in the game, but it doesn't have a cute picture or anything like that to go with it.

• Locked thread