Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
Beetle is like Suplex, except not useless against bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Shinarato posted:

You, Sir, are a learned person. Do you have some sort of degree... in kirbology?
Major in Kirbology, minor in Star Aesthetics.

theblastizard posted:

Beetle is like Suplex, except not useless against bosses.
Naw man you just suplex the stars into the bosses for massive damage.

Smash Daisaku
Jul 12, 2008

Last Bet $15 on Player 1
Odds 807.1:1 ($1)
Beetle Kirby has a very nice hat. Thus, it is a good power.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Bellmaker posted:

This game looks like a lot more fun than some of the more recent entries.

More recent entries? This game came out half a year ago! How many Kirby games are they making?

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

Smash Daisaku posted:

Beetle Kirby has a very nice hat. Thus, it is a good power.

The fancier the hat, the stronger the power. It is known.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I do agree that Beetle is my favorite power in this game largely from a design aesthetic.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Alright, the lovable pink vacuum ball is back! And he sucks harder than ever!

I mean, in a good way.

Kirby was my favorite GB game, and I loved the franchise ever since, though I haven't actually played that many of the games. Kind of weird, that... But oh well.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh man if I ever get a 3ds this will be one of my first buys.
Along with an increasingly large amount of games that I really want to play.

And obligatory :3:.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Major in Kirbology, minor in Star Aesthetics.
Naw man you just suplex the stars into the bosses for massive damage.
If I wanted to wait around on the boss to kill them I'd just play without a power. The reason I like powers is because I can lay into the boss at will

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

I'm just waiting for Medibot to shout "Invincible Candy, Delicious!" That and Kirby games are adorable.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

This is seriously one of the best games on the 3DS and it cannot be stated enough how fun this game is. It also has one of the best boss themes I've ever heard in a game and also some of the best bosses! I love this game so much. :allears:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Brainbread posted:

I'm just waiting for Medibot to shout "Invincible Candy, Delicious!"

Pretty sure that joke was played out; I don't even remember him doing it in his last Kirby LP.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Well that's two secrets so far that I missed.

tinkerttoy fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 23, 2014

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

theblastizard posted:

If I wanted to wait around on the boss to kill them I'd just play without a power. The reason I like powers is because I can lay into the boss at will

That's why you use the air-attack stomp when they don't have stars out on the field. It's fast enough that the damage adds up quickly, and throws do a lot of damage.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Kirby Triple Deluxe is a good game and everyone should buy it. The aesthetic is absolutely adorable, and the various puzzle gimmicks are all done in fun ways.

Medibot, are you going to show off the keychain collections in more depth? Some of the designs look great up close.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

medibot posted:

I wasn't planning on covering the download-only spinoff games, as they are their own separate entities. I'll see how I feel about it after I finish the main things I want to cover.

Will you be playing that OTHER other mode? The one that requires extra players?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I skipped over this game since the title "Triple Deluxe" made me think it was a minigame collection. I was wrong.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Will the thread get the chance to vote on dietary restrictions for you?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

George posted:

Will the thread get the chance to vote on dietary restrictions for you?

Kirby's only dietary restriction is that everything must be delicious, and this is a Kirby game, so everything is delicious.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I skipped over this game since the title "Triple Deluxe" made me think it was a minigame collection. I was wrong.

They needed some new way of saying Kirby 3D, since just putting it that way has been overdone since the 64.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Man, Kirby will always be my favorite. Kirby's Dream Land was the first video game I ever played, ever. I was three years old, playing it on my aunt's Game Boy. This was back before Kirby was a household name, right around the time Kirby's Adventure came out. Super Star is still my favorite, but Triple Deluxe is easily on par with Return to Dream Land and Kirby 64. My only complaint is that they still haven't brought back Yo-Yo, nor Helpers. Then again, I'd be content if they just made updated remakes of Super Star every few years, so I might be biased.

ToastGhost
Jul 28, 2012

20% cooler

Einander posted:

Kirby's only dietary restriction is that everything must be delicious, and this is a Kirby game, so everything is delicious.

this checks out. I like to think of this game's title as something that might've been lost in translation, but so far it has a nice rehash of everything, hence the triple and the deluxe. Even the goal game and dancing have been spectacular. :3:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
My post just above, Triple Deluxe > 3D. No translation issues there.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I always look forward to Medibot's Kirby LPs. Dude does a nice puffball.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Onean posted:

My post just above, Triple Deluxe > 3D. No translation issues there.

And it had three game modes on the menu at the start of the game, so triple deluxe still applied on the 2DS version.

Nice and simple.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
That works too!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

ToastGhost posted:

I like to think of this game's title as something that might've been lost in translation
It is, actually. Kirby Super Star for the SNES was called Kirby Super Deluxe in Japan. The title's in homage to that; they didn't change it to Kirby Triple Star or something for American audiences because they wanted to keep the whole '3D' thing. (See also the number of DS titles with (D-word) (S-word) in the name. Or the number of GBA titles called 'Advance(d)'. In fact, most of Nintendo's consoles have been offenders in this regard.)

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

FredMSloniker posted:

In fact, most of Nintendo's consoles have been offenders in this regard.

It makes for more interesting titles than "Name of Series X" for once-per-console game series, at least.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
Admittedly, up until the last set of levels I would always get rid of my current ability and Inhale the Miracle Fruit. I'm just a little sad that you didn't, but I admit it's important to note that you'll get any abilities back after Hypernova passes.

...I do have to say that most, if not all of the frustrating puzzles for me were those "tilt the 3DS" ones.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Cador_2004 posted:

...I do have to say that most, if not all of the frustrating puzzles for me were those "tilt the 3DS" ones.

At least you can re-calibrate the gyro immediately in case something goes wrong. And I'm pretty sure you can use the Circle Pad for some of them. I don't know if you can do that for all of them.

Fang Blade Havoc
Jun 8, 2011

Luke what are you doing, stop that

Dr. Fetus posted:

At least you can re-calibrate the gyro immediately in case something goes wrong. And I'm pretty sure you can use the Circle Pad for some of them. I don't know if you can do that for all of them.

Ah wow, I never would've thought to check the calibration. Most of the tilting stuff wasn't hard, per se, but I hated the ones where you have to move the block to keep the cannon fuse lit. They're usually simple but I get stressed out and mess up when there's a little fire timer coming at me.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I like that King Dedede has gone from being an antagonist to being the damsel in distress in this game.
In most of the games King Dedede had a good reason for doing what he was doing but he was still a guy you had to fight, now he and Kirby are just pals.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
Oh, Triple Deluxe is a great entry to Kirby, especially the main gimmick. It's the best gimmick to a Kirby game I can ever imagine. It's also the logical extreme Kirby would go.

The major downside to this is that the next game will never think up anything better. Still, I hope the next Smash game will turn this gimmick into Kirby's Final Smash.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ArcadePark posted:

Oh, Triple Deluxe is a great entry to Kirby, especially the main gimmick. It's the best gimmick to a Kirby game I can ever imagine. It's also the logical extreme Kirby would go.

The major downside to this is that the next game will never think up anything better. Still, I hope the next Smash game will turn this gimmick into Kirby's Final Smash.

I'm hoping for an improvement of the Hypernova power. Hopefully by making his non-inhale abilities super too. At least just the slide kick or air shot.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

Geostomp posted:

Hopefully by making his non-inhale abilities super too. At least just the slide kick or air shot.

They did that in Return to Dreamland.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

This game looks fun. It's a shame they didn't go with sprites but not terribly surprising.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
Hell yeah, Triple Deluxe!

I was surprised when I heard this game came out. At first I thought it was just some sort of weird 3DS port of Return to Dreamland, but then the Hypernova power hits and things get AWESOME.

I love that Kirby games are so simple that it takes very little to make the tiny guy awesome. All of the features and Secrets are great. And of course, I missed the Hal room. Again. Why can I never find these things!?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Genocyber posted:

This game looks fun. It's a shame they didn't go with sprites but not terribly surprising.

You might change your tune later in the game. I think the 3D models were the better choice for a game like this.

Edit: and by that I mean all the foreground and background stuff. That would look terrible with rescaled sprites but 3D models don't have that problem.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Hey I'm a writer for KirbyKirbyKirby.com, the number one source of Kirby related news and content on the web, and I just wanted to ask how y'all feel about Kirby for a new Kirby related article I'm currently writing.

So, how do you feel about Kirby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ChaosArgate posted:

You might change your tune later in the game. I think the 3D models were the better choice for a game like this.

Edit: and by that I mean all the foreground and background stuff. That would look terrible with rescaled sprites but 3D models don't have that problem.

The game looks really great, especially in 3D. They did a good job with that. I don't think I've had any framerate drops happen with it on either.

• Locked thread