Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
In general, I've found it's safe to assume that 3DS games always look better on the 3DS, with or without the 3D on, than they do in any recording, official or not. I'm guessing it's the effect of recording a 3D game (in the sense of Mario 64) that's such a small resolution compared to what we're used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

ChaosArgate posted:

You might change your tune later in the game. I think the 3D models were the better choice for a game like this.

And by that I mean all the foreground and background stuff. That would look terrible with rescaled sprites but 3D models don't have that problem.

Plus it makes this game unique for the franchise since past Kirby games on portable systems always used sprites even though games like Shantae and the Pirate's Curse show how well sprites can be used for 3D effects.

Tin Tim posted:

Hey I'm a writer for KirbyKirbyKirby.com, the number one source of Kirby related news and content on the web, and I just wanted to ask how y'all feel about Kirby for a new Kirby related article I'm currently writing.

So, how do you feel about Kirby?

He is the most adorable eldritch horror I've ever had the pleasure of coming across. :3:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Tin Tim posted:

Hey I'm a writer for KirbyKirbyKirby.com, the number one source of Kirby related news and content on the web, and I just wanted to ask how y'all feel about Kirby for a new Kirby related article I'm currently writing.

That actually exists and is owned by Nintendo lol.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Suspicious Dish posted:

That actually exists and is owned by Nintendo lol.
lmao, I didn't think someone would check it out that quick but you win

Chimera-gui posted:

He is the most adorable eldritch horror I've ever had the pleasure of coming across. :3:
Hmm, I'm not sure if I like that you connect Kirby to the word horror. But you also used adorable and pleasure, so I'm gonna file you under "Kirby Positive"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Tin Tim posted:

lmao, I didn't think someone would check it out that quick but you win

I wanted to read your articles on the number one source of Kirby related news and content on the web.

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope
Triple Deluxe is, as far as I know, the first handheld Kirby game to use 3D models instead of sprites. This follows from Triple Deluxe taking a lot of design cues from Return to Dream Land. Native resolution on the 3DS's upper screen is 400 x 240, and I record at that resolution. The upscaler I use to bring it to 1280 x 720 is a good one, but there is not a lot more I can do to improve the visual fidelity at large sizes.

King Dedede is trying his hardest to fight his way out of being captured, but Taranza's weird arachnid magic is very powerful. These things take time to deal with.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Tin Tim posted:

Hmm, I'm not sure if I like that you connect Kirby to the word horror.

I say that cause while Kirby is adorable and heroic, applying his powers to anyone else yields terrifying results with Hypernova being especially noteworthy in this regard.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 24, 2014

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Kirby final bosses are generally some kind of awesome cosmic horror in general. Popstar and the star system it resides in is super weird.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

Jonah Peretti posted:

... it is difficult to isolate a particular ideology from the image-repertoire of late capitalism. What is noticeable is not the content of the images but the efficiency and rapidity with which they are circulated and consumed. Nevertheless, to promote consumer capitalism the images must have some content to create the possibility for a mirror stage identification. It is this identification ­­with a model, athlete, or actor­­ that encourages the purchase of the product being pitched.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Every so often during the first level, the music calls back to the "Sharks are coming, gonna eat you all up" tune from Return to Dreamland :D.

Always good to see another medibot Kirby LP :).

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Chimera-gui posted:

I say that cause while Kirby is adorable and heroic, applying his powers to anyone else yields terrifying results with Hypernova being especially noteworthy in this regard.

Wapol isn't terrifying, he's one of the silliest guys Luffy's ever beaten up. I'd go with that fat dude from Full Metal Alchemist if you want someone really creepy.

On the topic of Kirby, man, those keychains were great, I loved seeing all the classic sprites and from the older games. Plus, once you have enough, their display on the main menu starts arranging them by theme, such as color, shape, copy ability, game, character, etc. It's a nice touch. Hope that doesn't spoil anything, seems like a pretty minor feature.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

Wapol isn't terrifying, he's one of the silliest guys Luffy's ever beaten up. I'd go with that fat dude from Full Metal Alchemist if you want someone really creepy.

I will concede that Wapol himself isn't terrfying do to his powers being used comidically whereas Gluttony, the character you're thinking of, was treated as a legitimate threat and that I should have gone with the latter as an example first.

That said, I still wouldn't want to run afoul of a someone with the power to consume weapons then transform part of their own body into the said weapons as well as merge people by essentially eating them and then spitting them back out.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dr. Fetus posted:

The game looks really great, especially in 3D. They did a good job with that. I don't think I've had any framerate drops happen with it on either.

Yeah, and it's also worth pointing out that Triple Deluxe does 60FPS 3D which really makes the stereo 3D a lot more natural and easy to look at.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Chimera-gui posted:

as well as merge people by essentially eating them and then spitting them back out.

Actually, only their clothes were merged, Kuromarimo just stood on Chess' shoulders. :pseudo:

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Chimera-gui posted:

That said, I still wouldn't want to run afoul of a someone with the power to consume weapons then transform part of their own body into the said weapons as well as merge people by essentially eating them and then spitting them back out.

That would be a really cool system in a future Kirby game. If they took the friend function Super Star, and merged it with the power combination of 64. You could have Kirby being able to summon an ally like he befre, but if he has a combination power, then he can also make an ally from that who's a powerful hybrid ally.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

Actually, only their clothes were merged, Kuromarimo just stood on Chess' shoulders. :pseudo:

While Chessmarimo is iffy, a side mini-arc does show that he can merge stuff together similar to the power combos in Kirby 64, even creating a new metal in the process.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Tin Tim posted:

Kirby is love.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
This game is really good but some of the bosses are jerks and I hate them! Please enjoy Kirby.

DoubleDonut fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 25, 2014

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope

DoubleDonut posted:

This game is really good but some of the bosses are jerks and I hate them! Please enjoy Kirby.

How do you feel about the one boss we've seen so far? I have quite a bit to say about the overall design of boss fights in this game, although I'm saving it until we see all the bosses. Please stick around until then so we can get some good boss design discussion going.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

medibot posted:

How do you feel about the one boss we've seen so far? I have quite a bit to say about the overall design of boss fights in this game, although I'm saving it until we see all the bosses. Please stick around until then so we can get some good boss design discussion going.

He's not too bad to fight. The bosses in this game I think at least have really cool visual design, especially the first boss - he's a lot more interesting than plain ol' Whispy Woods again. There are two in particular I had a lot of trouble with compared to the rest of the game, but they don't show up for a while so I'll save it for then.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

medibot posted:

The best thing about that boss is the way his nose wiggles when you hit him :3:

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Glad you're doing this, Medibot

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I skipped over this game since the title "Triple Deluxe" made me think it was a minigame collection. I was wrong.

I'm seein double! Three kirbys!

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I've watched the first episode and the last Kirby game I played to completion was SuperStar. It seems like Beetle is like Suplex, but actually really good instead of garbage.

Can you get helpers in this game like you could in SuperStar?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

D_W posted:

I've watched the first episode and the last Kirby game I played to completion was SuperStar. It seems like Beetle is like Suplex, but actually really good instead of garbage.

Can you get helpers in this game like you could in SuperStar?

Nope. Also Beetle is a ridiculously good power.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The best thing about Beetle is that it gives Kirby a pompadour. He's Japanese Delinquent Kirby!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The best thing about Beetle is that it gives Kirby a pompadour. He's Japanese Delinquent Kirby!

Hidekirby Kamiya

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Josukirby Higashikata.

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.

Tin Tim posted:

I'm sorry, what is it you're writing about again?

(yay new medibot lp :allears: )

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Indeterminacy posted:

I'm sorry, what is it you're writing about again?

(yay new medibot lp :allears: )

I think it was a discussion of how great King Dedede is.

Perfect, or the most perfect? Or, somehow, both?

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

chiasaur11 posted:

I think it was a discussion of how great King Dedede is.

Perfect, or the most perfect? Or, somehow, both?

There's a tip in Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U that outright says that King Dedede is too perfect to copy other people's abilities, so both :v:

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ToastGhost posted:

this checks out. I like to think of this game's title as something that might've been lost in translation, but so far it has a nice rehash of everything, hence the triple and the deluxe. Even the goal game and dancing have been spectacular. :3:

Rename, not translation. Kirby Superstar was originally called Kirby Super Deluxe in Japan, which is why this game got its name as both an "improvement" of sorts and to keep the 3D pun.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

medibot posted:

Remember to love Kirby, and try your best to feel good every day.

Regarding this: I just wanted you to know that sometimes, when I'm having a really crappy day, I end up thinking to myself, "Man, I should go re-watch some Medibot-Kirby magic," and it always helps me feel better. Thank you! :3:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

azren posted:

Regarding this: I just wanted you to know that sometimes, when I'm having a really crappy day, I end up thinking to myself, "Man, I should go re-watch some Medibot-Kirby magic," and it always helps me feel better. Thank you! :3:

Man, I do that, too, sometimes. Or Medibot highlights from the Sonic LPs. Or just some high-level pro Yo-Co. Or Mario or Luigi. Or the WarioWare Dance. Basically a dose of Medibot can brighten anyone's day.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

My favourite thing is how it looks kinda like a samurai helmet. It's a pun, because the beetle it's based on is called (in Japanese) "kabutomushi". The "mushi" part means bug or beetle I believe, and "kabuto" is a samurai's helmet.

I like puns.

VV: I thought kabuto referred mostly to a samurai helmet, I didn't know it was with every helmet. STILL. Helmet-bug. :3:

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 26, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kabuto is helmet.
Mushi is bug.

Helmet-Bug!

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Hi I just want to say everything about this game is cute.

Please do not touch the Noddy.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Kabuto is helmet.
Mushi is bug.

Helmet-Bug!

Not that it would count as a "pun" in either case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

kalonZombie posted:

Hi I just want to say everything about this game is cute.

Please touch the Noddy.

• Locked thread